amd955be5670

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I've got
AMD 955 black edition (Not OCed, Undervolted for the fact)
M4A78LT-M LE
1TB 7200.12 Seagate SATA
22x LG, Sony DVD-RW SATA
Saphire 5670 HD (Not OCed)
Foxin 500w (Yeah its not even 50% efficient I guess)

I recently throwed in a friend's GTX460SE in my build, and with his PSU(i-ball Sprinter 500w,not 50% efficient either), Resident Evil 5 benchmarks averaged around 60fps, GTA4 ran with some mods at around 30fps, (actually mostly it was at 43fps)
The same, with my PSU, average was around 12fps less in Resident Evil 5, GTA4 didn't go near 30fps at all
When I used another useless PSU(it says 450w, but I think it CAN give the entire 140W TDP to the GTX) lying at home, I used that to power the GTX460 and got to see 30fps in GTA4
All this at 1920x1080 (Samsung S22A350H)

Do I need a new PSU for the 5670hd(existing build)?
If its true then at 4ghz, my CPU eats around 190w, and I've run this chip on 4ghz, played crysis 2 for 30minutes with 1.5250 voltage multiplier,it worked fine(with 5670), but that was LONG ago

Future plans will be to upgrade to GTX660 or GTX760 whichever is DirectX12 around in 2014-2015

If I need one, I've been thinking of shifting to either Corsair 650HX,TX or Coolermaster 650GX
Which one would be the best choice? And I don't have problem with cable management, I can easily manage them in my small chassis as well

Solution
A PSU should NOT affect Vid card performance. Either there is enough 12v rail amps. or there isn't. If there isn't the PC will usually crash. The FPS should not change based on the PSU power.

If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required
Number one, if you're running benchmarks on your PC, why is the CPU undervolted?
I would run the benchmarks without the undervolting, too many different changes leaves to question which component is causing the under-performance.

Yes, an inefficient PSU or one that doesn't provide enough clean power to your video card can result in poor performance. Your numbers do not surprise me in the least.

If you want a gaming rig, then it is essential to have a solid, efficient power source. I can not emphasize this enough, you can cut corners elsewhere but do yourself a favor and get a quality power supply.
The Corsair supplies are quite good for budget builds, they save costs by not making them modular, at least on Corsair's budget models. They are a solid recommendation for most folks.
The Coolermaster GX you mention, I believe is not quite the same quality. I'd stick with the Corsair, or Antec 650 Earthwatts:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

Or the high current gamer Antec which is a very good deal right now through newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371048

Either way, with 600+ watts you'll be ready for any future upgrades.

beenthere

Distinguished
A PSU should NOT affect Vid card performance. Either there is enough 12v rail amps. or there isn't. If there isn't the PC will usually crash. The FPS should not change based on the PSU power.

If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required

Solution