How to transfer contact list

bettyone

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
how do I transfer my contact list from outlook or vista to my new mini computer that h as windows 7 starter

From Outlook on the old comp

On the File menu, click Import and Export.

Click Export to a file, and then click Next.

In the list, click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.

Click the Contacts folder. If the folder contains a subfolder that you want to include, select the Include subfolders check box, and then click Next.

Under Save exported file as, click Browse, and then specify a location, such as My Documents, and a name, such as Contacts Backup, for your backup file.

If you back up a .pst file that you have backed up to before, click one of the following:

- Replace duplicates with items exported Existing data will be overwritten with the information in the file that is being exported.

- Allow duplicate items to be created Existing data will not be overwritten, and duplicate information will be added to the backup file.

- Do not export duplicate items Existing data will be kept, and the duplicate information in the folder will not be copied to the backup file.

Click Finish

If your computers are networked, you can reach out from the new computer to grab that file. If they're not networked, save that file to some portable media - CD, thumb drive, etc.. Then:

In Outlook, on the File menu, click Import and Export.

Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.

Click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.

Click Browse to locate the file you saved earlier, select the file, and then click OK.

Under Options, choose an option for how to process duplicate contacts, and then click Next.

Click the Outlook contacts folder where you want the imported contacts to be saved, and then click Next.

Click Finish

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The Scotteq is a good option for only export the contacts.

Here you can find an option that export your contacts and keeps the autocomplete feature (If you remember the names of your contacts). Look for the .nk2 tittle and follow the steps. After that you are in the folder, copy ALL the files and paste in the same location on the laptop, don't worry, works fine for vista and 7.

Now, you have all your contacts and the autocomplete feature.