So its built, now what?

KazumaCTHDWE

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I've just finished an agonizing first-ever attempt at building a PC using an extremely small case for large parts. 12 hours of torture, and totally destroyed sleep cycle, along with a (still) hurting left thumb with a rather deep and bleedy cut, and a constant fear that I must have borked something or set something to eventually bork...

Think Geforce 570 in a 10x10x17 case small, with 280mm x 120mm for it. (no bonus points if you figure out what case this is :p )

So its built, I've partitioned the SSD with Windows on one, and a (very near) future Linux distro install on the other, with the Linux distro being my main internet surfing OS and for personal learning/research into the Linux OS. I've already "hardened" the Windows install with the now-standard anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall/etc stuff, and downloaded the windows updates, and the like, so no need to remind me for those.

What I do need help with is... what am I supposed to do and get to test out the CPU, RAM, and maybe even the GPU again?

I have to admit, a 12 hour 4 complete tear-down/rebuild session caused a serious mental BSOD in me that I just memory dumped all my months of research before the PC arrived during the build. I'm totally at a loss and my brain simply wont work at 100% capacity yet.

I feel so slow even as I type this. I think I'll probably need a minor vacation from the world of computers when this is all done.

Right, so:
1. I know I need to properly test and maybe stress the CPU to find its loaded heat in C, but I totally forgot how to do this and what tool/s I should use.

2. I still remember I need to get memtest86 for the RAM, but I am at a loss on how it works. I know its an ISO, so it has to boot on its own from a CD or something? Do I need to install something on my storage drive for it to work?

3. After this, I know I need to test the GPU as well. Suggestions on what to use to test it?

4. SSD's are still very new, I admit, so I'm not sure this exists yet. Is there a codified list of Windows tweaks to help SSD performance and stability/reliability? (Focus on RELIABILITY, as I'm already partitioning it in half, sorta, for a Win-Lin dual boot setup, and I know the partitioning is logical, not a physical setup, so TRIM should work, right?)

5. Lastly, any tools to test CUDA support? I know, odd request, however this PC is going to be more for work than play, and my line of work likes CUDA a whole lot more than without. Any other suggestions would be nice as well :)