BIOS for Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M6300/M7300/M8300

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 2, 2005 1:55:30 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi all,

I have tried to update BIOS in my Amilo M6300 using the update found on the
FSC website. Unfortunately it failed to work, and now the laptop is
completely dead. I suspect that the update I downloaded isn't working at
all, but the FSC helpdesk tell me that they don't have any other files I can
try.

So, does anybody have a working BIOS update lying around for this laptop? Or
the ability to make a backup image of the BIOS you are using?

Any help is appreciated. I will also be interested in buying a faulty
motherboard with a working BIOS.

Thanks,
Jesper
August 2, 2005 12:33:34 PM

"Jesper Kristensen" <jbk@NOSPAMsnaps.dk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have tried to update BIOS in my Amilo M6300 using the update found on
the
> FSC website. Unfortunately it failed to work, and now the laptop is
> completely dead. I suspect that the update I downloaded isn't working at
> all, but the FSC helpdesk tell me that they don't have any other files I
can
> try.
>
> So, does anybody have a working BIOS update lying around for this laptop?
Or
> the ability to make a backup image of the BIOS you are using?
>
> Any help is appreciated. I will also be interested in buying a faulty
> motherboard with a working BIOS.
>
> Thanks,
> Jesper

Why not buy the appropriate bios chip from them.??
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 2, 2005 10:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Why not buy the appropriate bios chip from them.??

Because they don't sell it. They'll only sell a new motherboard :o (

/Jesper
Related resources
August 2, 2005 10:50:13 PM

> > Why not buy the appropriate bios chip from them.??
>
> Because they don't sell it. They'll only sell a new motherboard :o (
>
> /Jesper

S*** Unbelievable!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 2, 2005 11:44:40 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"dan" <retepthoob@retepthoob.f2s.com> wrote in
news:D cobob$dv3$1@news.freedom2surf.net:

> "Jesper Kristensen" <jbk@NOSPAMsnaps.dk> wrote in message
>> > Why not buy the appropriate bios chip from them.??
>>
>> Because they don't sell it. They'll only sell a new motherboard
>> :o (
>>
>> /Jesper
>>

> S*** Unbelievable!!

Had the same problem with my FS Amilo D8820.
You didn't by any chance try to do the update from the cd iso image
file ? - it cant be done. FS support also told me I neede to replace
the motherboard but got it sorted myself for free (with a little
help from FS) Not sure about your laptop but there a couple of
things you can try - email me for details.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2005 2:48:04 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Had the same problem with my FS Amilo D8820.
> You didn't by any chance try to do the update from the cd iso image
> file ? - it cant be done. FS support also told me I neede to replace
> the motherboard but got it sorted myself for free (with a little
> help from FS) Not sure about your laptop but there a couple of
> things you can try - email me for details.

Hi David, by the looks of it, I guess your email address is invalid.

What I am hoping to do (if I can get hold of a working BIOS image) is to
unsolder the BIOS chip, program it in an EPROM burner, and solder it back in
the motherboard.

Please let my know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Jesper

-----
Remove NOSPAM from the email address.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2005 6:47:42 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

It appears that Jesper Kristensen <jbk@NOSPAMsnaps.dk> shook an Etch A
Sketch before scribbling:
>> Had the same problem with my FS Amilo D8820.
>> You didn't by any chance try to do the update from the cd iso image
>> file ? - it cant be done. FS support also told me I neede to replace
>> the motherboard but got it sorted myself for free (with a little
>> help from FS) Not sure about your laptop but there a couple of
>> things you can try - email me for details.
>
> Hi David, by the looks of it, I guess your email address is invalid.
>
> What I am hoping to do (if I can get hold of a working BIOS image) is
> to unsolder the BIOS chip, program it in an EPROM burner, and solder
> it back in the motherboard.
>
> Please let my know if you have any other suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> Jesper

I sympathize. I have a friend with a C-6572 (bought on my suggestion,
unfortunately) that apparently had it's BIOS toasted. Fujitsu won't even
give him a copy of the original image file to attempt to reprogram it.
These machines appear to be pretty rare, also, making it nearly impossible
to find someone who is willing to run a BIOS update progam only to extract a
backup image.

.... which is one reason why Fujitsu isn't very high on my recoomend list
anymore.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2005 6:03:21 AM

>> Had the same problem with my FS Amilo D8820.
>> You didn't by any chance try to do the update from the cd iso image
>> file ? - it cant be done. FS support also told me I neede to replace
>> the motherboard but got it sorted myself for free (with a little
>> help from FS) Not sure about your laptop but there a couple of
>> things you can try - email me for details.
>
> Hi David, by the looks of it, I guess your email address is invalid.

LOL.

> What I am hoping to do (if I can get hold of a working BIOS image) is to
> unsolder the BIOS chip, program it in an EPROM burner, and solder it back
> in the motherboard.
>
> Please let my know if you have any other suggestions.

Some machine will try to load a bios image from floppy as soon as they are
powered on, if the onboard bios is corrupt. Not sure of the file format
though, i suspect it's just *.bin on a fat formatted floppy.
!