Sign in with
Your question

Computer shutting down randomly - need to resolve issue by 11/11/11

Last response: in Components
November 4, 2011 4:50:43 AM

Here's the issue. Computer is shutting down for no reason.

This is what event viewer is telling me.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-11-04T05:01:03.832012800Z

EventRecordID 181496

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer AegisVII-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Been looking online, and no solutions have been able to help. Anyone who could help me get this figured out by the release of skyrim would be much appreciated.
November 4, 2011 10:43:46 AM

Please list your system specs as well! If it is just simply shutting of under load most often it is a power issue!
m
l
November 4, 2011 12:22:23 PM

Power:
Origninally used - 1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Now using - 1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU:
1 x AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGIBOX

Mobo:
1 x ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

Ram:
1 x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR16004GK
1 x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600LV4GK

Graphics Card:
2 x SAPPHIRE FleX 100312FLEX Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Currently using ONLY 1 of these cards, as the other I thought might be bad. Sent it back via RMA but problems still occurring.

HDD:
1 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Also, a little clarification on things since I didn't give that much information.

Problems started earlier this month after I attempted to upgrade from dual Radeon HD 5770's to dual HD 6950's.

Problem continues to occur ONLY when I play games. I've run every mem diagnostic, system cleaning tool, and everything that I or anyone else I know can think of.

I'm sure it's a power issue, because the error is always the same, but there is never a dump file to upload. PLEASE, PLEASE help me to solve this. Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2011 12:24:04 PM

rolli59 said:
Please list your system specs as well! If it is just simply shutting of under load most often it is a power issue!
BTW I listed the specs as per your request. Didn't see I could respond to your message so It's posted above.
m
l
November 4, 2011 1:29:15 PM

My first thought is a themal issue have you got anything like speedfan installed to see what the temps are like? Or you could take the side of the case off and point a house fan at it.

You could have a dodgy PSU, do you still have your old one - as its worth using it and seeing if the same thing happens
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:09:20 PM

seno said:
My first thought is a themal issue have you got anything like speedfan installed to see what the temps are like? Or you could take the side of the case off and point a house fan at it.

You could have a dodgy PSU, do you still have your old one - as its worth using it and seeing if the same thing happens

I have speed fan installed, and it's never given me much higher than 64 degrees C. But It's a quad core CPU, and Speed Fan doesn't read it quite right. It does say TEMP 2 and 3 are at -128C.

And Right now I'm using the old 650 PSU. We thought it was the same thing, but it's giving us the same problem as with the newer one. Another issue we thought it might be was that it's pulling a lot of voltage off of one rail. right now it's pulling 16.32V off the 12V rail according to Speed fan.
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:10:49 PM

Two tests which I'd like you to try out:
1: IntelBurnin test (If the system reboots or shutsdown during this test, you have to assume it's a CPU overheating problem)
Download Link : http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v2.3-download...

and then
2: FurMark ( If the rig shuts down during this test, you need to assume that the problem is with the GPU)

Download Link : http://downloads.guru3d.com/FurMark-v1.6.5-download-196...

Do not run both the tests together or we won't be able to figure out what the problem is at first.

Then if the rig doesn't reboot or shutdown during either of the tests, you can safely assume that the issue is not the CPU or the GPU. Now run both the tests together ....... if it shutsdown or reboots, we can assume that the problem is with the PSU which is staggering at peak voltages.
Before you do any of this download HW Monitor from
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
And keep it running when all these tests are performed, so as to also know if the Temps cross the threshold limits, this can tell us exactly if temps are an issue or a contributing factor or not.
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:22:16 PM

alyoshka said:
1: IntelBurnin test (If the system reboots or shutsdown during this test, you have to assume it's a CPU overheating problem)

and then
2: FurMark ( If the rig shuts down during this test, you need to assume that the problem is with the GPU)

Do not run both the tests together or we won't be able to figure out what the problem is at first.

Then if the rig doesn't reboot or shutdown during either of the tests, you can safely assume that the issue is not the CPU or the GPU. Now run both the tests together ....... if it shutsdown or reboots, we can assume that the problem is with the PSU which is staggering at peak voltages.
And keep it running when all these tests are performed, so as to also know if the Temps cross the threshold limits, this can tell us exactly if temps are an issue or a contributing factor or not.

Well, assuming I did everything right, It's a CPU heating problem. I ran that test and after about 10 seconds it shut down. So what's the next step to test this theory?
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:28:34 PM

Check the cpu heatsink for dust and ensure the fan is spinning.
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:29:22 PM

alyoshka said:

and then

oZone3d.Net FurMark gave me the following scores after running:

[SCORE: 6778 o3Marks]
FPS Min: 97
FPS Max: 150
FPS Avg: 113
Time: 60000 ms
- RES: 5670x1080 / MSAA: 0X
Renderer: AMD RAdeon HD 6900 Series
Active GPUs: 1
Drivers: Catalyst 11.10 - 8.902-111012a-127455c-ATI (10-12-2011)
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
CPU Speed: 3411 MHz
OS: Windows Server 2007 ver.6.1 build 7601 [service pack 1]

This good or bad right now?
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:30:08 PM

Could you post a HWMonitor Screenshot here...?
You need to check the FAN speed of the CPU, set the CPU fans speed to Auto in the BIOS and also disable the crap program "SpeedFAN".....
Check again if the HSF is properly seated on the CPU.
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:57:09 PM

alyoshka said:
Could you post a HWMonitor Screenshot here...?
You need to check the FAN speed of the CPU, set the CPU fans speed to Auto in the BIOS and also disable the crap program "SpeedFAN".....
Check again if the HSF is properly seated on the CPU.

Can't take the case apart right now to check - Accounting test in a couple hours. But I'll tear into it then.

As far as HWMonitor goes, I tried to Screen Capture while running the first test again, and it shutdown before I could save any of the caps.

Checked the bios, and there's no default setting of AUTO. It's got some other options, but none really made much sense to me.

If I had to guess anything at this point, It's probably the CPU fan because I think it did seem a little askew when I opened the case yesterday, but I didn't see anything wrong with it then.

Could it be it doesn't have enough liberal dosing of thermal paste between the fan sinc and the cpu itself?
m
l
November 4, 2011 2:59:36 PM

Yes, when you take it apart, I'd suggest cleaning the old thermal paste off and applying another coat of it, just don't be too stingy with it and not to lavish either.
Best of Luck wit the Acc. Test and the rig.
Keep us posted.
m
l
November 4, 2011 3:00:48 PM

alyoshka said:
yes, when you take it apart, I'd suggest cleaning the old thermal paste off and applying another coat of it, just don't be too stingy with it and not to lavish either.

Lol Hope I actually HAVE some theremal paste left. Think I may have thrown away the excess.
m
l
November 4, 2011 3:02:24 PM

If you really did throw it away, you need to change the name to Mark-Sillius....
m
l
November 4, 2011 3:09:16 PM

alyoshka said:
If you really did throw it away, you need to change the name to Mark-Sillius....

Gratzi for the Pun! And what can I say? I was a sophomore, a budding Computer Science major who desperately wanted to build a rig, so I built the best one I could afford without doing as much research as I should have haha.

Live and learn.
m
l
November 4, 2011 3:10:07 PM

It's ok I guess, we've all learnt our stuff the same way.....
m
l
November 4, 2011 3:13:32 PM

alyoshka said:
It's ok I guess, we've all learnt our stuff the same way.....

Here's my question: What's the appropriate method of scraping off old thermal paste? Finger, paper towel, etc? What's going to not screw up my rig essentially haha.
m
l
November 4, 2011 3:16:28 PM

Start up the rig once so that the TIM gets a little gooey, liquidy...:)  remove the HS and use a soft towel or paper napkin, first. The use some IP (Iso-Propyle , rubbing Alcohol) and wipe the surfaces absolutely clean.And that'll save the rig.... from getting screwed ....... further.....
m
l
November 4, 2011 7:27:06 PM

alyoshka said:
Start up the rig once so that the TIM gets a little gooey, liquidy...:)  remove the HS and use a soft towel or paper napkin, first. The use some IP (Iso-Propyle , rubbing Alcohol) and wipe the surfaces absolutely clean.And that'll save the rig.... from getting screwed ....... further.....

Changed out the thermal paste. Ran the test. Same problem.

Did get the test to get complete a third cycle before the pc powered off.

I'm at my wits end at this point. I just don't know what else to do. ANY suggestions would be great.
m
l
November 5, 2011 4:06:21 AM

Ok, Now tell me have you tried looking into that LCD Poster? Does it give any warnings or messages before the rig shutsdown?

Ok, I'm going through your BIOS now, Steps you need to follow
1. Reset CMOS. Try and see if it reboots.
2. Ok, your Mem OCZ3RPR16004GK isn't in the QVL here.

For the fans control you need to go to the BIOS
Power Section-- Hardware Monitor-- Advanced
Under Temperature Monitor, you have NB Overheat Protection/SB Overheat Protection : Enable that to 80C
Under the Same option you have OPT Fan1/2/3 Overheat Protection : Set that to 90C
The 4th Line there has Fan Speed Control
Enable all options under it. Set them all to performance

The DutyFan cycle is for later when the rig gets stable.
m
l
November 5, 2011 5:02:12 AM

alyoshka said:
Ok, Now tell me have you tried looking into that LCD Poster? Does it give any warnings or messages before the rig shutsdown?

Ok, I'm going through your BIOS now, Steps you need to follow
1. Reset CMOS. Try and see if it reboots.
2. Ok, your Mem OCZ3RPR16004GK isn't in the QVL here.

For the fans control you need to go to the BIOS
Power Section-- Hardware Monitor-- Advanced
Under Temperature Monitor, you have NB Overheat Protection/SB Overheat Protection : Enable that to 80C
Under the Same option you have OPT Fan1/2/3 Overheat Protection : Set that to 90C
The 4th Line there has Fan Speed Control
Enable all options under it. Set them all to performance

The DutyFan cycle is for later when the rig gets stable.

The LCD Poster got trashed a while back and is essentially AWOL. Tried to get a new one, with little luck.

I'll try the fan steps once I get back home. Out with some friends tonight playin 40k (BUMP FOR MY GAME OF CHOICE!!!).

As far as the OCZ rpr ram, what do you mean by it isn't in the QVL?
m
l
November 5, 2011 5:16:14 AM

Asus Mobo's are known to be very finicky about what you plug into them, especially the RAM modules. The company dishes out a Qualified Vendor List with every mobo that lists the maker, model Number and capacity of the RAM that can be used without issues with the Mobo.
The RAM you have bought is not listed on it, that doesn't mean it won't work, but it means it might act up a bit.
m
l
November 5, 2011 5:35:26 AM

alyoshka said:
Asus Mobo's are known to be very finicky about what you plug into them, especially the RAM modules. The company dishes out a Qualified Vendor List with every mobo that lists the maker, model Number and capacity of the RAM that can be used without issues with the Mobo.
The RAM you have bought is not listed on it, that doesn't mean it won't work, but it means it might act up a bit.

Gotcha.

Well, unless one had suddenly started to turd out on me, I don't think it is the ram that's the issue. I've had the rig for over 2 years now, and it only recently started giving me fits (roughly 2 months ago when I tried upgrading my graphics cards).

Before I war running 2 x Radeon HD 5770's, then put in the 6950's and here we are. But If there's some special setting I can change in the bios to make the RAM work better, I'd be up for just about anything.

ALSO, this is something that I have decided to do of my own free will. Not a contest, but this is my honest way of thanking anyone who can help me get this fixed.

I have a steam code for Deus EX: Human Revolution that came with one of my 6950's as part of a deal when I purchased them. I already have the game, so I will give that to ya if we get this solved. Consider it just payment for helping me get stuff rolling for Skyrim.
m
l
November 5, 2011 5:46:46 AM

Thanx for a very noble gesture but the giveaways are to be posted on a different thread :)  And I don't think it can be considered as a payment for anything, none of us will. We're here to help not actually get something other than more experience from this.
But it's the thought which counts anyways. There are a lot more deserving and gamer guys/gals out there who will certainly love the steam code :) .

Ok, since the RAM has been used in the same rig for over 2 years we'll cancel that out.
What you need to do are the other steps and then get back after you finish with the Game and the rig.
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:06:37 AM

alyoshka said:
Thanx for a very noble gesture but the giveaways are to be posted on a different thread :)  And I don't think it can be considered as a payment for anything, none of us will. We're here to help not actually get something other than more experience from this.
But it's the thought which counts anyways. There are a lot more deserving and gamer guys/gals out there who will certainly love the steam code :) .

Ok, since the RAM has been used in the same rig for over 2 years we'll cancel that out.
What you need to do are the other steps and then get back after you finish with the Game and the rig.

Did the first changes to the bios fan settings.

When going under the Fan speed control, this is what the changes look like right now:

CPU Q-Fan Function - enabled
Select Fan Type: PWM Fan
CPU Q-Fan Mode - Performance
Chassis Q-Fan Function: Enabled
Chassis Q-Fan Mode - Performance

PWRFan Control - Disabled
OPTFAN1 Control - Disabled
OPTFAN2 Control - Disabled
OPTFAN3 Control - Disabled

Under the last 4, the alternative options to set them at are....

PWRFan Control - Disabled, Duty mode
OPTFAN1 Control - Disabled, duty mode, user mode
OPTFAN2 Control - Disabled, duty mode, user mode
OPTFAN3 Control - Disabled, duty mode, user mode

Should I change those at all, or did I change it right? I'm going to save the changes so far and see what happens at this point. I'll update with how the PC responds.
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:15:10 AM

Did not resolve the problem. Died on 3rd cycle of that test. Temp Peaked at Celsius before it shut down.
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:16:47 AM

the cpu is still overheating, can you try a cold boot?
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:18:05 AM

alyoshka said:
the cpu is still overheating, can you try a cold boot?

That was a cold boot. and it peaked at 60 Celsius.

Hadn't been turned on for hours. Thoughts?
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:20:03 AM

Suggest trying better TIM and checking that CPU fan properly.
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:22:04 AM

alyoshka said:
Suggest trying better TIM and checking that CPU fan properly.

TIM?

Also, just now caught the reset CMOS idea, so just did that with your added changes. See how that works real quick.
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:25:43 AM

Still shut down at cpu temp of 60degrees C according to HW monitor.
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:26:03 AM

Thermal Paste..........
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:30:42 AM

I used a brand new set of Arctic Silver 5 compound. I don't know how it could be thermal paste related though, since this stuff did just start happening a little while ago.

but I spose that's all we have to go on at this point anyways....
m
l
November 5, 2011 7:34:09 AM

Well, that good thermal paste, nothing wrong there, maybe you applied it wrong or maybe there a bent pin on the processor?
you need to check it thoroughly 'cos that's most probably where the problem lies, the CPU HSF assembly. Also make sure you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU Fan pins on the board and not any other socket.
m
l
November 5, 2011 12:37:13 PM

Just woke up, and the rigs runnin at 47 degree Celsius for the CPU. It's been runin since my last post.

However, none of the cores are registering on HWMonitor. THe Temp gauge says cpu temp, but the individual temps for the cores all read 0 degrees Celsius.
m
l
November 5, 2011 12:49:33 PM

That's ok, no big shakes, you can close HW Monitor and delete the INI file for the program and then restart it. It might show up with the right data.
We could be looking at faulty sensors or a faulty mobo.
m
l
November 5, 2011 1:02:05 PM

alyoshka said:
That's ok, no big shakes, you can close HW Monitor and delete the INI file for the program and then restart it. It might show up with the right data.
We could be looking at faulty sensors or a faulty mobo.

REALLY don't want to hear that haha. I've been looking into RAM settings and what else I may have to change, but it doesn't sound promising. At this point, I am ready to scream. I just don't have the money to keep shelling out on this problem. I mean, what else is there that it can be?

At this point I'm tempted to say screw it. I'm just too stubborn.
m
l
November 5, 2011 2:37:52 PM

markillius08 said:
Still shut down at cpu temp of 60degrees C according to HW monitor.

60°C was that max temp doing what?
m
l
November 5, 2011 2:47:47 PM

Runnin the first test listed above.
m
l
November 5, 2011 3:01:23 PM

60°C should not be a shut down temp people get 70's running prime. If speedfan is getting this from the motherboard "right now it's pulling 16.32V off the 12V rail according to Speed fan" What does the BIOS report on those voltages? Maybe we are talking faulty motherboard here you have tried two different quality PSU's, You have sent one GPU back for RMA sure it was the correct one? (both tried individually)
m
l
November 5, 2011 3:46:25 PM

rolli59 said:
60°C should not be a shut down temp people get 70's running prime. If speedfan is getting this from the motherboard "right now it's pulling 16.32V off the 12V rail according to Speed fan" What does the BIOS report on those voltages? Maybe we are talking faulty motherboard here you have tried two different quality PSU's, You have sent one GPU back for RMA sure it was the correct one? (both tried individually)

I'm sure the GPU in the case right now is good. It has to be something else to me, because it only happens that it dies when I"m playing games. Also, speedfan differs from HW monitor, which says it's within reasonable levels.
m
l
November 5, 2011 3:57:48 PM

That is good sign on the volts. Have you tried the GPU in a different computer? And it happens with both PSU's? Both power cables hooked into the card(s)?
No issues before?
m
l
November 5, 2011 6:32:58 PM

rolli59 said:
That is good sign on the volts. Have you tried the GPU in a different computer? And it happens with both PSU's? Both power cables hooked into the card(s)?
No issues before?

I have not tried with the GPU's in another computer. I will see if I can find someone willing to let me try. Yes, it happens with BOTH PSU's. Yes, both power cables were plugged into the card.

As far as I CAN remember, the issue began approximately 2 months ago when I tried upgrading to the initial dual 6950's. It ran fine for a few days, then the games I was playing had their graphics begin to tear and look nasty. I took the cards out, isolated that it was the initial secondary card that was bad, and after RMA'ing it, the computer started to shut down randomly. It only happens when I play games, and It started happening when I went to a LAN party. It was fine before the party, and then it started shutting down randomly during games, and then once before the games could even start up.
m
l
November 5, 2011 6:58:44 PM

PROOF!!!!

Just put in my old 5770 (thought I had already sold both, but only sold one!!) and same issue!!!

PROOF POSITIVE IT'S NOT A GRAPHICS PROBLEM!!! Although, we had basically already established that. SO, the next question is what can we do with this information that is productive?
m
l
November 5, 2011 8:30:39 PM

I am thinking it could be your motherboard, unlikely both PSU's! You have tried both slots?
m
l
November 5, 2011 9:10:36 PM

rolli59 said:
I am thinking it could be your motherboard, unlikely both PSU's! You have tried both slots?

I have not tried the card in the second slot. I'll do that here in a bit.

IF it ends up being the MOBO, anyone have suggestions on a suitable replacement that can utilize the components I have currently?
m
l
November 6, 2011 4:13:05 AM

Let's first check the mobo, then, we'll decide on a good less expensive mobo.
m
l
November 6, 2011 5:16:04 PM

rolli59 said:

Trying second slot now. During boot, bios gave a CPU ERROR. Hit F1 as it said to try again, and it loaded up fine.
m
l
November 6, 2011 5:20:12 PM

See if that repeats itself and of course if the card(s) work fine in the second slot.
m
l
!