Corroded Batter acid on a circuit board

theremainder

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I have a laptop with corroded acid on a circuit board, this particular board happens to be the power junction switch so its rather important. What are the chances of saving it?

Solution
Do you mean the Acid from 'it's' battery poured onto the PCB and now has green and brown sediments on it?
If that is the case, the damage may not be too extensive, all you need to do is take a damp piece of soft cloth, Damp with water or Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and just wipe the PCB clean.
After that you can wait for it to dry up and use IsoPropyle to check how badly the PCB has been effected, if the Copper lines are intact then all you need to do is take some Transparent Nail Polish or Varnish and apply a thin coat to the cleaned area or exposed copper lanes.
Chances of saving it are very high since the PCB is designed to withstand high Temps close to the Power Connector or Rectifier.
A pic of the the open spoilt areas would be a lot...
Do you mean the Acid from 'it's' battery poured onto the PCB and now has green and brown sediments on it?
If that is the case, the damage may not be too extensive, all you need to do is take a damp piece of soft cloth, Damp with water or Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and just wipe the PCB clean.
After that you can wait for it to dry up and use IsoPropyle to check how badly the PCB has been effected, if the Copper lines are intact then all you need to do is take some Transparent Nail Polish or Varnish and apply a thin coat to the cleaned area or exposed copper lanes.
Chances of saving it are very high since the PCB is designed to withstand high Temps close to the Power Connector or Rectifier.
A pic of the the open spoilt areas would be a lot more helpful though.
Just be careful not to use any sharp metallic instrument in a try to scrape the battery acid residue there.

Solution

theremainder

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Thanks for the heads up. I was cleaning it with 98% Isoprpopyl and took a lot off of it and will try to get a decent picture of it (i have a very low quality camera). There was acid all over the board and the DC outlet as well as some USB and some 3.5mm jacks but i got a massive majority off. Ill have pics up as soon as i can get a decent one for you. Thanks the for tip on H202.