9800GT and 560 Ti in same computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrun

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hi.
Can I use both in the computer at the same time without SLI? For instance use one for physics, or both for rendering in Octane and such?

Solution
Can your driver detect both the card??If not reinstall the drivers.You should see them in device manager.
By default 3ds max only support CPU based rendering.You have to install other plugins for gpu rendering.
Octane render(CUDA based) on the other hand can use both your gpus to render.Threfore I guess its better to check the accelaration using octane.
There are also some openCL based render plugins available for 3ds max, like vray RT etc
Renderer called iray for 3dsmax can uses CUDA support .:)

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Yes you can use both the cards without SLI.Apart from physX any openCL or directcompute based application should be able to get the advantage from two gpu. But the problem is there are only very few programs which can actually utilize two gpus.So apart from heating up your computer I don't think there is any advantage in adding a 9800gt right now.But you can always get the physX accelaration prsent in very handful of games.

xrun

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I'm having trouble finding the 9800GT when booting with both installed. Would I need to reinstall the drivers? I was thinking they wouldn't need ut because they've both been used in the same machine separately, with the drivers that are allready installed. Just don't seem to be able to see both in device manager.

xrun

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Oh I don't game, just mentioned physX as an example. I'm planning to use them together for rendering and hopefully increased viewport performance. Seems like only the 560Ti registers in the system.
When testing rendering in 3ds max it gives me only 1 GPU core, meaning it sees only one card. It does not turn up in device manager. The 9800 even spins its fan down a few minutes after booting, so that it barely turns at all. Seems inactive.

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: i7 950 running at 3.8GHz
Ram: 12GB Kingston 1600MHz (6x2GB)

The graphics cards: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 1GB, and Asus 9800GT 512MB.

PSU: Chieftec 750W super series
Each graphics card should be hooked up right, 2x6pin for the 560Ti, and 1x6pin for the 9800GT. Should be ok, it's puzzling.

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Can your driver detect both the card??If not reinstall the drivers.You should see them in device manager.
By default 3ds max only support CPU based rendering.You have to install other plugins for gpu rendering.
Octane render(CUDA based) on the other hand can use both your gpus to render.Threfore I guess its better to check the accelaration using octane.
There are also some openCL based render plugins available for 3ds max, like vray RT etc
Renderer called iray for 3dsmax can uses CUDA support .:)

Solution

xrun

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
3ds max 2011 includes the quicksilver rendering engine. I'm mostly using V-ray 2.0 for GPU rendering, and reading up on Iray. I'm not firmly set on either just yet, but the more cuda cores I can use, the better.
I'll try reinstalling the driver when the computer is idle again, and report back.

xrun

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Seems like there's a problem with the card, cause after I finally got it working with both GPU's for a few hours, the 9800GT was unstable and froze up just by touching the cable going to the monitor. Happened several times, totally repeatable. It also kept slowing down its cooling fan to barely moving at all, and exceeding 80 degrees C, both when idle and while rendering. So I removed it and am back to just the 560Ti.
Was worth a shot, but the old card just didn't work out for me.

xrun

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
No, the 9800GT was somewhat unstable earlyer as well, when being used alone in the computer. It ran fine even with the 550W PSU I had before. The PSU is not the problem. It has 4 PCIe connectors as illustrated in the product photo in your link, and should actually perform well even with two GTX580 in sli. Power draw from the wall socket under load is slightly less than 350W. It's just a faulty card and everything is fine without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS