Please help BIOS failure!

jordan2323

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Please help! I was bios flashing and the PC turned off. Now when I startup there is a multiple beeps and a error bug d0. I have the asrock extream 4 z77 Mobo please help! The LEDs and fans start but no connection to monitor.

Which BIOS update method (i.e. Instant Flash or DOS or Windows) were you using?

What's more important is, why did the PC turn off during the flash?

Did you have a power grid failure or lightning storm while the flash was occurring? Did someone trip over the AC power cord?

What BIOS version were you updating from and to?

jordan2323

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

I was updating to 2.0 from 1.8. Someone tripped over the pc power cable. There is no signal to the tv so I couldn't reflash ( I used windows flash method) on the debug led it says d0 if that helps.

Since the flash is incomplete you have a corrupted UEFI BIOS.

There's no way to boot with a corrupted BIOS.

The SPI Flash Memory chip will need to be reflashed by someone with an SPI Flash EEPROM Programmer. Usually that requires sending the motherboard back to ASRock. If you know someone who has an SPI Flash EEPROM Programmer you can get them to flash the required BIOS image to overwrite the currently corrupted image.

jordan2323

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Does warranty cover it if I send it back

No it's not covered under warranty because it is considered user error and not a manufacturing defect. It was working fine when it left the factory.

Motherboard manufacturers have always had a disclaimer regarding BIOS flashing. It is always flash at your own risk.

If the SPI Flash EEPROM chip on your motherboard is socketed and not soldered to the motherboard and you know someone with the same motherboard and they will allow you to do a BIOS hot flash that is another way to recover.

jordan2323

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

My friend does have the same Mobo how do you do it?

To ASRock? Only if you get prior approval from ASRock that you can send it to them to have it reflashed for a fee and you will have to pay all shipping costs both ways.

The charges, that I've read about, usually add up to nearly the cost of a new motherboard. Only you can decide if that is worth it to you.

Edit: After looking at a picture of that motherboard it looks like the BIOS chip is socketed so you can just order a replacement chip with the latest BIOS version already flashed to it.

It needs to be pulled straight out. Tilting it, too much, will bend the pins.

You can use a precision screw driver to slightly pry up one end (i.e. the narrow ends without any pins on them) and then the other and keep alternating until you've loosened it enough so that you're able to grab it with your fingers or a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it the rest of the way out.

Inserting the new one must also be done correctly keeping in mind that the chip pins are numbered and must be inserted with pin 1 of the chip matching pin 1 of the socket.