rithurag

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Please help me!

I am using Compaq CQ-3040IL PC

1)I want to add 1TB more storage!
2)I want to upgrade from 2gb to 4gb ram
3)I want to install a new graphic card (1gb) {to play CRISIS}

Pls tell me can i do this, if yes suggest a suitable low cost graphic card in india (amd or nvidia). Also my current power supply is 180W

Pleas help!

My existing specifications can be found at:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3942826&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c01793711

rithurag

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Compaq Presario CQ3040IL Desktop PC Product Specifications

Product release information
Product number
KY651AA
Release date
22-Jun-2009
Country/region sold in

India

Motherboard
MS-7525 (BostonL)
Figure 1: Motherboard top view
Image of motherboard

Manufacturer: MSI
Form factor: uATX 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 21.8 cm (8.6 inches)
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 9300
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
Front side bus speeds: 800/1066/1333 MHz
Processor socket: 775
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot
For more details, see BostonL motherboard specifications .

Processor
Intel Pentium E5200
Figure 2: Intel Pentium Dual-Core logo
Image of Intel logo

Operating speed: Up to 2.5 GHz
Number of cores: 2
Socket: 775
Bus speed: 800 MHz

Processor upgrade information
Socket type: 775
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Core 2 Duo E4xxx
Core 2 Duo E7xxx
Pentium Dual Core E2xxx series
Celeron Dual Core E1xx0 series
Celeron 4xxx series

Memory
2 GB

Amount: 2 GB
Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec

Memory upgrade information

Dual channel memory architecture
Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

NOTE: *Actual available memory may be less
Video graphics
Integrated graphics using Intel GMA 3100
*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

Integrated graphics using Intel GMA 3100
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards

Sound/Audio
Integrated Realtek ALC662 Audio
*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

Audio CODEC: Realtek ALC662
5.1 channel high-definition audio

Networking
LAN: 10-Base-T

Interface: Integrated into motherboard
Technology: Realtek 8101E
Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100Mb/s
Transmission standards:10-Base-T Ethernet

Hard drive
500 GB
Figure 3: Hard drive
Image of hard drive

Size: 500 GB
Interface: SATA
Transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM

CD/DVD disc drive
DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive
Figure 4: Optical Drive
Image of the optical drive

Interface: SATA
Data buffer memory: 2 MB
Maximum storage capacity: 8.5 GB
Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology

Function Maximum speed
DVD-RAM up to 12x
DVD+R DL write once up to 12x
DVD-R DL write once up to 12x
DVD+R write once up to 16x
DVD+RW rewriteable up to 8x
DVD-R write once up to 16x
DVD-RW rewriteable up to 6x
DVD-ROM read up to 16x
CDR write once up to 40x
CDRW rewriteable up to 32x
CDROM read up to 40x
Computer Case
Mid-size ATX

Height: 38.40 cm (15.12 inches)
Width: 16.58 cm (6.53 inches)
Length: 42.90 cm (16.89 inches)

Bay size Total Bays*
13.33 cm (5.25 inch) 2
8.89 cm (3.5 inch) 1
* Bays may be occupied by existing hardware.
Power Supply
180W
180W
I/O Ports
Front I/O ports

USB: 2
Headphone: 1
Microphone: 1

Back I/O ports
Figure 5: Back I/O panel
1 - PS/2 mouse (green)
2 - Video Graphics Adapter
3 - RJ-45 Network (LAN)
4 - Audio: Line In port (light blue)
5 - Audio: Line Out (lime)
6 - Audio: Microphone (pink)
7 - USB 2.0: 4
8 - PS/2 keyboard (purple)
Keyboard, mouse and input devices
Compaq USB keyboard
Figure 6: Top view of keyboard
Image of keyboard

Interface: USB
Cable length: 1.33 m (4 feet, 4 inches)
Dimensions:
Height: 27 mm (1.1 inch)
Width: 147.6 mm (5.8 inches)
Length: 456 mm (18 inches)
Special buttons*:
Volume up
Volume down
Mute
* Buttons are not configurable
Extended Key:
Sleep

Compaq USB optical mouse
Figure 7: Top view of mouse
Image of mouse

Interface: USB
Cable length: 1.8 m (6 feet)
Buttons: left, right, and clickable scroll wheel

Your CPU is fine for a low end system.

Adding disk storage is easy if your motherboard has an empty SATA port, and slightly more complicated if it doesn't. Goto wikipedia and find out what a sata port looks like, then open case and see if you have a free one. If so, buy any SATA disk of 2TB or less and buy a SATA cable. You should have an available power connector inside your PC.

Adding 1TB disk space without a free sata port is most easily done by buying a 1.5 TB disk and using the disk manufactures tool to remove the data from your 500GB disk and copy it to the 1.5TB disk. This will leave 1TB or so of free space. Then you just use the 1.5TB disk and put the 500GB drive away as a backup in case something fails. IF you plan to do this post and get better directions. The net is you borrow the sata power and signal cable from your CD/DVD drive and use it to hook up the new disk drive then copy the data from one to the other. You can upgrade disk with our current power supply. Disk will cost less than $100US.

Your power supply is not OK for any gaming. 180W covers your CPU and MB with almost nothing left for video. You will not be able to put any real video card in until you upgrade it. Open your case and look at the wires from your power supply (a rectangle 6 × 3.5 × 5.5 (inches) and in metric 150 mm × 86 mm × 140 mm -- i's the part the electric cord from the wall sticks in). Would you be comfortable replacing the power supply with a more powerful unit? It would require unscrewing a few screws, pulling the wires. IF so a good power supply (called PSU) is less than $100. Get a QUALITY psu, google to find reviews, advice. Don't skimp on the brand. With a good brand, a 350 to 500 watt PSU will run anything you are apt to buy with room to spare for less than $100 US.

Graphics card: read toms article "best graphics card for the money July 2011" to find a great card at your price point They have everything from $50 to $500 cards covered.

Adding more memory is easy. With 32-bit windows you will only see 3.2GB of memory, not 4GB. But memory is so cheap this is not a bad deal. Since your PC has only two dimm slots (Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2 ) you probably will need to discard your current memory and replace with two 2GB dimms. That costs less than $50US. ddr2 pc2-6400 is the fastest memory supported by your MB.

Aside: you can see why some people recommended getting a new PC, with $100 for PSU, $50 for memory, $100 for disk and then your choice of graphics cards the upgrade costs add up.

rithurag

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Thanks! Let me look into!

Here is a $50US power supply from www.newegg.com Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply. Any chance you can get someone to install for you, or that you can install? ( you can get cheaper power supplies -- but that is almost always a fail, for example: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html even if they don't burn up, they can make your system unstable. Cheap power supply not recommended.)

Then spend around $65 for a new video card like the HD 5570 DDR3 or hit EBAY for a stronger prior generation card like the a HD 4850 new $75US or used under $50. There is a video card hierarchy table here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-7.html that will help you make a choice. You can also google the names of the games you want to play and the video card -- someone will have tested and can give frames-per-second numbers. Also, you can ask around and see if someone has upgraded and has their previous video card available cheap. I've traded older, but good, cards for six packs of beer with friends.

You can try putting a low power card in without a new power supply. For example, an HD5450 ($40US) has a TDP of 19.1W. (TDP is the amount of power the video chip draws. The total graphics card will be a few watts higher. Goggle TDP). The HD5450 is not the best gaming card -- google it to see if its good enough. There is a chance it will work. There's also a chance it won't and then you'll need a new power supply anyway and have a weak video card.

good luck. Please post what you end up doing, especially if you try a low power card. It'll help other people to know if it worked for you.

rithurag

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
:hello: About hard disk?

Can i add 1 tb hard disk more?

2 sata ports in motherboard is empty

1tb-must suit the power requirements and come under 180W

Now 180 W is used by motherboard, 1 dvd drive , 1fan & 1 hdd (500Gb)

Also i would like to know increase in memory of hdd would require more power?

Hard drive is 5-10 watts max. You can add one just fine with your current power supply. Here are two videos from WD on install. Make sure you have a sata cable and mounting screws, they don't come with a 'Bare Drive', you buy them separately.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136793