Sound Card, Configuration, or Speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarpy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hey guys, need some help in my speaker setup issue here.

I'm using a Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system, and i just changed my mobo and proc/ram/gc/etc. I'm also using a separate sound card (Auzentech X-Fi Prelude), i did not reformat and/or reinstall my OS (Vista Business x64).

The issue i'm facing right now is that after installing my mobo, i can't seem to get my Left Rear (LR) and Right Rear (RR) speakers to work properly when i set my setup as 5.1 from Windows audio configuration. But when i set it to 7.1 both the LR and RR worked as side speakers instead, which is not what i really want. I can't seem to get it work in 5.1 mode.

The other issue i'm experiencing is that now my speakers aren't as loud as before, where before (old mobo) after adjusting volume to just 3-4 bars i could get my whole room to shake, but now it takes 5-6 bars or more

These are steps i've taken to resolve this issue but failed:

1. Making sure cable connections are correct
2. Tweak Windows Audio settings (sound card, speaker configuration etc.)
3. Downloaded latest drivers from sound card manufacturer.
4. Tweaked the Volume Control Panel software provided by my Sound Card.
5. Disabled on board sound.
6. Opened support ticket at SC manufacturer website
7. Searched tirelessly on google

Note that there's no Audio Enhancement settings that i can tweak other than to disable/enable it.

Could this be because of driver clash from installing my old mobo? since i just clicked on "install all default drivers" when installing the mobo.

Can any expert help?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I have the same speaker system, whenever I have problems with the rear speakers working in 5.1 or volume it is almost always a problem with my settings in my soundcard utilities or with my soundcard drivers. I have a creative x-fi and just need to go back into the software that I have with it to reset my surround and volume. I would assume if you have the software that came with your sound card installed it may be a similar problem.
Have you changed the Windows Speaker configuration?
Playback Devices-----Speakers-----Configure----- 5.1 and test with the RL and RR sockets or then interchange with the 7.1 Setting for the RL and RR with the SL and SR?
You will also need to disable all enhancements plus change default bit rate to 24Bit.

scorchedskulls41

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I have the same speaker system, whenever I have problems with the rear speakers working in 5.1 or volume it is almost always a problem with my settings in my soundcard utilities or with my soundcard drivers. I have a creative x-fi and just need to go back into the software that I have with it to reset my surround and volume. I would assume if you have the software that came with your sound card installed it may be a similar problem.

Solution
The issue i'm facing right now is that after installing my mobo, i can't seem to get my Left Rear (LR) and Right Rear (RR) speakers to work properly when i set my setup as 5.1 from Windows audio configuration. But when i set it to 7.1 both the LR and RR worked as side speakers instead, which is not what i really want. I can't seem to get it work in 5.1 mode.

You can flip the Side/Rear speakers is you set the output to 7.1.

I also assume you are using an analog connection, and not optical?

Tarpy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hi, yes i am using an analog connection.

Anyway the problem has been resolved (no thanks to my clumsiness). Now my settings have all been corrected, except for the volume level, still messing around with the software which came with my sound card.

Thanks all for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.