Sign in with
Your question

BIOS UPDATE ... PREFERED METHOD

Last response: in Motherboards
August 3, 2012 6:02:00 PM

Hi guys
ive just finished a budget build using a pentium G620 on a gigabyte H61MA-DV2 motherboard( using 4gb of ddr3 1333mhz ram ) and everything went well and windows 7 64bit installed without a hitch....
however when i installed the chipset drivers the pc blue screened after the restart.. and upon investigation i realised the bios version is F1 ( with the latest being F4 )
i presume since the G620 requires F4 or better on this board that this caused the bluescreen... ( as it worked fine prior to driver installation ) ... so i shall be updating the bios to F4 tommorow
however there are 2 methods of updating the bios on gigabyte mobo,s ... and these are
1) Q-flash.... this is done in the bios... and it looks like the method i shall use... but can i use any usb memory stick ( eg v1,1 / v2.0 or v3.0 usb standards ) ....
2)@bios ... this is the windows based utility but if i used this i would be using a fresh installation of windows 7 (64bit ) with no drivers/chipset drivers installed... so would this affect the @bios update ?
ive done bios updates before but as you know they differ from each manufactuer.... and the last thing i need is to screw up the bios before ive even started
so which method is the best ,or more to the point safest .......
also ive downloaded the bios file for the above motherboard.... is the bios file the entry marked "H61MAD2V.F4".. since there are other files in the compressed folder including "autoexec" and "Efiflash " ... i presume "H61MAD2V.F4" is the bios file ....
finally with gigabyte mobo,s having dual bios,s if one was damaged with a bad update and the second bios came into use is there a way to reflash the first bios back to a working state
any help will be much appreciated
cheers guys
a c 125 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 8:00:58 PM

The most reliable method is using q-flash and a fat32 formatted usb drive with the bios file in the root of the drive. You have to use a usb 2 port and drive for this. The usb 3 port and/or device won't work.
August 3, 2012 8:47:03 PM

thanks mate
as i mentioned in the question i didnt want to use windows based utilitys since these have a bigger risk of failure.... im allmost sure the 4 x usb ports on the i/o are usb2.0 ( there are 2 usb3.0 which as directed wont be used for q flash )
even with gigabyte dual bios the bios flashing procedure is still daunting ... wouldnt you think a more failsafe method would be introduced ..... or having a transferable file built into the cpu so as soon as the mobo detects it requires a bios update for the cpu it automatically applies it ......
anyway thanks for the input mate ... its much appreciated
August 4, 2012 10:03:20 AM

update to F4 completed.... i actually had to use @bios since qflash kept informing me the F4 update was "out of date " ... however on the specific motherboard page it does recommend @bios... but from all accounts theres a higher percentage of failed updates using this method
that said i found it quite easy .. after installing the utility ( on a fresh install of windows 7 64bit ) it asked for a prefered server ( note : wait for around 60 seconds for the firewall exception message to appear and then allow... failure to do this will mean the utility cant connect to the gigabyte server )
i selected the usa server and then ran the update... i did receive a message " this is not a recognized file " .. ignore this and continue with the update
the flash is similar to other methods... it downloads the update.... then erases current bios image... then writes new image and then verifys .... job done..... and then a restart
as with all bios updates this was the most daunting... however i pressed DEL to access the bios and all was fine... set optimized defaults and then saved and exit bios
chipset,vga and all other drivers installed without any problems ..... very happy.......
this is the first gigabyte mobo ive used and it wont be the last.... they are so user friendly and the uefi bios is a added bonus.....
bring on xmas ... i shall buy a core i5 2500k.....happy days
!