PSU appears to be whining

themanwho85

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, didn't really know where to post it.

Basically I've just upgraded my gpu from a 4870 to a 6950... everything is great so far, checked the temps, very nice.. However when I play a game.. ie, bf3.. as soon as it hits the main menu, it appears the psu is now emitting a whining noise.. it has never done this before.. Have also tried turning on V-Sync etc. it lessens the noise ever so slightly but still not enough fo rmy liking.

I have a Corsair 650w psu.. and its maybe, just over 2 years old.. I also tried dragon age origins.. and it makes the same noise, having never made it before.

Tonight I'm gonna swap over my card back to my 4870 but until then, anyone have any ideas/suggestions.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz
Asus P5Q PRO iP45 Socket 775 Motherboard
Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLi Compliant Power Supply
MSI AMD 6950

These are my specs, I realise the rest of my pc will bottleneck my card, i'm upgrading the rest soon.

Will maybe getting a new, more powerful psu solve this?

themanwho85

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Ok I'm embarassed to actually admit this, but I just realised I forgot to do a clean uninstall of my previous drivers etc... So in theory im running 4870 drivers on a 6950 card.. Could this be what's causing the noise you think?

facepalm.

It MIGHT contribute to it as any driver issue might influence the total load on the PSU, but it's not the CAUSE. It's just a hazard of electronics, sometimes you get coil whine.

Corsair (actually Seasonic) uses a lot of glue to prevent this, but sometimes they miss the problem area.