Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Very new to building computers. What do you guys think of this build?

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2011 7:00:49 PM

Hello,

Everyone replying to "newbie" posts seems to offer extremely helpful advise so I decided try it for the first time.

I am currently in California on vacation from South Carolina. I have been putting together a computer on my off time that I would like to play games with such as, crysis 2, SC2, Diablo 3 when it comes out, and the upcoming Planetside.

This is what I have put together after reading a lot of posts on here and reading reviews. Please offer as many suggestions as you want. This will be my first build by myself and I am overwhelmed with all of the choices. I already have a samsung f4 hdd and a crucial m4 ssd drive.

1) Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge

2) Asus p8z68 deluxe ( I have been weighing the pros and the cons for quit a while, you seem to get quit a bit more for the $100 dollar difference between the boards. And I want this board to not be outdated too quickly.)

3) G.skill ripjaw x series 8gb (2x4gb) 1600 (seems to be perfect for the Sandy Bridge, however, not 100% sure it will be the best)

4) Cooler master haf 932 case (seems to have good intake and exhaust and good cable management, however, not confident that it will be as quite as I am used to)

------
I am wanting this computer to last me for a few years without being completly out dated.
These items are in my new egg cart atm, the price is $744.96 and my main concern is whether or not I am getting the best I can get from that amount of money.

Please let me know what you guys think! Thanks! :) 
August 6, 2011 10:31:55 PM

For gaming the cheaper i5-2500K is just as fast and just as overclockable. Games do not take advantage of hyperthreading.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
August 6, 2011 10:53:05 PM

yes, do not get the i7-2600k, only get it if you are doing long video work. If not the i5-2500k will give you the same performance while playing games, i7 is for video editors and movie makers :)  (not movie maker but using high tech software)

for a case i reccommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... VERY NICE!!!! AND has all the needed features for a medium-high build... has good cable management and has a lot more features then the haf 932

Ram: Good choice...

Motherboard: Go for the MSI P67A-G45, that has everything you need :) 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The motherboard has usb 3.0 internal headers so you can have an extra 2 usb 3.0 ports for awesome transfer speeds!

Power Supply: (Never cheap out on this, most important thing): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (non modular)
this one is an XFX which is actually designed by seasonic and produced by them but xfx just sticks a sticker on it ;)  so basically it's a seasonic... And btw, If you want good cable management buy a modular power supply, they make everything very easy because you only use the cables you want making cable management A LOT BETTER!! but be warned: they are a bit more expensive then non-modular....
example of modular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And well moving on... Graphics card, since your on a budget i reccomend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The card has good cooling on it (unlike other cards) and this card comes with all the needed accessories (like others dont) And it's really a steel and will be able to play all your games on medium-high for the next 1-2 years.

next... Hardrive! SSD are the fastest but very expensive... so go with an HDD! the samsung ones are really fast and cheap!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Drive: Just get anything http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Okay and btw the motherboard you choose and the msi one have the same features, the Asus has some extra ones that you will never use (that's like buying a car with heated seats although you live in a desert! it's a waste!)... and the asus has some extra ports that you wont use either... The msi will last you the same lenght as the Asus in my opinion...

If you follow the options i told you, you'll probably get a ~$800 build i'm guessing,
m
l

Best solution

August 6, 2011 10:54:38 PM

Quote:
I am currently in California on vacation from South Carolina. I have been putting together a computer on my off time that I would like to play games with such as, crysis 2, SC2, Diablo 3 when it comes out, and the upcoming Planetside.

Where are you going to send/buy the parts? Newegg charges tax in CA because they have a warehouse center located there. You'd actually avoid these by shipping the parts to SC.

Quote:
1) Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge

Since you're just gaming, get the i5-2500K instead. The hyperthreading in the i7 does not benefit games at all (most benchmarks are identical to the i5), so that's a waste of $100 right there. The i5 will also overclock just as well as the i7.

Quote:
2) Asus p8z68 deluxe ( I have been weighing the pros and the cons for quit a while, you seem to get quit a bit more for the $100 dollar difference between the boards. And I want this board to not be outdated too quickly.)

I've always found Asus boards to be extremely expensive for what you get. In order to futureproof for the next 3-5 years, all you need is a board with SATA III/USB 3 (all the new boards), a reputation as a solid OCer, and at least 2 PCI-E x16 slots for a second video card down the road.

I find Gigabyte boards to be very good for the money, and they tend to have a more efficient port layout than Asus boards. The board doesn't need to be the most expensive to be the best board for you.

Quote:
3) G.skill ripjaw x series 8gb (2x4gb) 1600 (seems to be perfect for the Sandy Bridge, however, not 100% sure it will be the best)

DDR3 RAM running anywhere between 1333 and 1866 is ideal. Anything higher is really intended for extreme benchers. The G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kits are only like $60 now, and perform very well. I have 2 kits in my system and they're running great.

Quote:
4) Cooler master haf 932 case (seems to have good intake and exhaust and good cable management, however, not confident that it will be as quite as I am used to)

With better cooling generally comes a bit more noise, but the HAF 932 is a very solid full tower and is one of the most popular cases. I'd also take a look at the Raven RV02/RV03 and NZXT Phantom.

Quote:
I am wanting this computer to last me for a few years without being completly out dated.
These items are in my new egg cart atm, the price is $744.96 and my main concern is whether or not I am getting the best I can get from that amount of money.

What is important here is how much you intend to spend on the computer.

August 7, 2011 4:36:39 AM

Power supply? Video card.

Agree with CPU recommendations. For a gaming machine, take the difference between a 2500K and a 2600K and get a better video card.
m
l
August 7, 2011 5:44:31 AM

WOW guys!! Thanks for such expedient replies! I seem to have left some information out, and to the first reply, I appologize for the format...

I currently have a phenom 2 processor, I believe, with a lanparty dk 790fx board. I have noticed a little lag when things start to get crazy with my 4v4 matches in SC2 and expect things to get worse when diablo 3 and planetside 2 comes out.

As for my graphic card I have the gtx 570
--Power supply is 750 corsaiar
--hdd is samsung f4 and ssd is m4 crucial
Not needing to spend any money on those parts will save me quit a chunk of change.

You guys make a great point with not needing the i7 and going for the i5 instead as well as a cheaper board. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advise.

Once again I applologize for the format of the post.

I would love some more suggestions, taken the information that I left out in my first post.

m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2011 12:26:42 PM

shaboden said:
WOW guys!! Thanks for such expedient replies! I seem to have left some information out, and to the first reply, I appologize for the format...

I currently have a phenom 2 processor, I believe, with a lanparty dk 790fx board. I have noticed a little lag when things start to get crazy with my 4v4 matches in SC2 and expect things to get worse when diablo 3 and planetside 2 comes out.

As for my graphic card I have the gtx 570
--Power supply is 750 corsaiar
--hdd is samsung f4 and ssd is m4 crucial
Not needing to spend any money on those parts will save me quit a chunk of change.

You guys make a great point with not needing the i7 and going for the i5 instead as well as a cheaper board. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advise.

Once again I applologize for the format of the post.

I would love some more suggestions, taken the information that I left out in my first post.

Thanks are keeping us updated, So basically what you need is a CPU, MOBO, and CASE, and RAM.... You already have the RAM choosen (make sure it is 1600mhz and not 1333mhz for best performance and 1.5v)

CPU & Motherboard Combo $20 off!!!! http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

And CASE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The GTX 570 is a very nice card and will last you a good time... Everything eles seems good!
m
l
August 7, 2011 3:27:08 PM

Thanks again altay, I wrote this post in hopes of some good suggestions and because of you and the others that have written back to me, in excellent detail I might add, I cannot express my gratitude enough. That case seems to be extremely nice compared to the haf 932. They both have great features, however, the one you suggested has water cooling pipes already ran and what appears to be just as nice or even a nicer cable management system.

I will do some more research just to find out if side fans can be added easily. The way my graphic card is, i'm sure you guys know, is extremly large and it would be nice to have a fan blowing directly on it.

As for that msi board I will also do some research. It appears to have turbo boost button on the motherboard just like the asus. But there has to be something i'm over looking that makes it less expensive than the asus.

Once again thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Since this case you have suggested has water cooling pipes already incorporated, what would the best water cooler be for it?! I never even thought i would be doing water cooling. I'm excited now!
m
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2011 3:41:34 PM

Well, As a first time builder i wouldn't do water cooling, But if you were then i would for the Corsair H series for water cooling, never done it myself so yeah... And btw the case i suggested, it comes with a Graphics card stabializer and you can mount fans on it.... so maybe that would be helpful, it's called a vga holder
m
l
August 7, 2011 3:56:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks again altay, I wrote this post in hopes of some good suggestions and because of you and the others that have written back to me, in excellent detail I might add, I cannot express my gratitude enough. That case seems to be extremely nice compared to the haf 932. They both have great features, however, the one you suggested has water cooling pipes already ran and what appears to be just as nice or even a nicer cable management system.

Just keep in mind that the HAF 932 is a bigger case. The CM 690 II gets great reviews as a mid-tower, but nothing beats the room in a full tower, IMHO.

Quote:
I will do some more research just to find out if side fans can be added easily. The way my graphic card is, i'm sure you guys know, is extremly large and it would be nice to have a fan blowing directly on it.

It's pretty simple, really. You just get the proper size fan and screw it in on the side. The side of the fan has arrows telling you which way the air flows through it.

Quote:
As for that msi board I will also do some research. It appears to have turbo boost button on the motherboard just like the asus. But there has to be something i'm over looking that makes it less expensive than the asus.

There are many options for motherboards out there now. The MSI boards are a little bland in terms of features, but do work well. Asus tends to have the most features, but it also rides on its reputation to charge higher prices. Gigabyte and ASRock are somewhat in the middle - they offer great quality and many good features, but they aren't as expensive as Asus. I personally love my P67A-UD4-B3 :) 

Quote:
Since this case you have suggested has water cooling pipes already incorporated, what would the best water cooler be for it?! I never even thought i would be doing water cooling. I'm excited now!

All it has are some holes that let you route tubing outside the case (for external radiators). Other than that, it doesn't come any more ready for watercooling than most other cases. The HAF 932 has the same hole cutouts.

Water cooling is a bit unnecessary and tedious as a beginner, and the Corsair closed loops do about the same job as a good air cooler according to many reviews. The only closed loop I personally would consider is the H100, simply because it has a dual radiator instead of a single.
m
l
December 9, 2011 8:58:17 PM

Best answer selected by shaboden.
m
l
!