Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Hello,

The (essentials) hardware components of my new system are as follow:

CPU: 2 Xeon QA92 (2687w ES)
MB: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
PSU: Seasonic 1000W Platinum
Memory: 4x8GB Samsung ECC/REG 1600 Mhz
GPU: Nvidia 7800GT (temporary,for test only)

Now my problem is that I can't get post with 2 cpu togheter: if I use only socket 1, then both cpu seems to work just fine and the system boot flawless.

I checked all the four ram modules and no problem found.

I replaced GPU card with another from ATI: same issue (no post/boot with the 2 cpu on the 2 sockets - boot and start with just one cpu on socket 1)

I switched power cables from socket 1 to 2 and viceversa: same issue ---> I don't have another PSU that can handle this system so I can't be 100% sure but does not seems to me that the PSU it's the problem here...

I updated the bios to the last version (503): same issue / "updated" to the first version (311): same issue

The problem is that i get NO post, No boot: after pressing the power button the CPU's fan
rotates for a few seconds then the system stop : NOTE THAT THE Q-CODE DISPLAY STAYS OFF!!! (with one cpu on socket 1 it works perfectly)

Any idea/suggestion?

The MB it's faulty? Some setting in bios need to be changed?

Thank you very much for any reply

Shotzo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I have a Z9PE-D16 motherboard at home with a Xeon 2687W, should be similar enough.

Can I confirm that you have both 8-pin connectors on the motherboard plugged in to the power supply?

(since you only have 4 ram sticks instead of 16), I would also like to confirm that you have RAM in slots A1 and B1 on both sockets (see manual for details)

If that is the case, then can you try out both CPU's on socket 1.

ODP

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Yes, they are both plugged (I read on the User's manual that this is necessary even with just one cpu).

To simplify the "debugging process", I used just 1 RAM module for each CPU so the slots involved are A1 & E1 (I populated them according to the User's manual, Chap. 2/ pag. 14)

I already checked both cpu (singularly) on socket 1 and both of them works fine.

I'm at loss here: I think that maybe the MB it's faulty (but still works with just one cpu?) or there is something that I miss...

I can not think of an incompatibility between the two cpu, because they are Xeons and from the exact same batch! (the serial number differ only by one number!). I know that QAMT ES have issue to work in pair with this MB, but QA92 must be ok according to the info I got (even on this forum).

Any idea?

Thanks for your reply!

Shotzo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hmm. I have no idea. You can try a different PSU (1x Xeon 2687w (150W TDP) noms 200W worst case.) rated for 450W or more. I'm assuming you already have a 4 pin molex to 8 pin cable.

You've already ruled out CPU, RAM, and HDD, all that's left is PSU, GPU, and MB. So see what happens when the GPU isn't there, and swap PSU's.

and, can I ask what the system is used for? Kinda curious. I use mine for web surfing, the occasional bout of programming, a little bit of gaming, and just something to talk about at college ("Look what I got! It's got 16 cores!")

ODP

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I have not mentioned earlier but I already tried the system without GPU: no success :-(

The Seasonic PSU have two CPU connectors: one dedicated just for cpu (8 pin in & 8 pin out) and another for the second cpu OR PCI-e (12 pin in & 8 pin out). Of course if you use the latter for the second cpu (instead of PCI-E) there is included a cable with 12 pin where 4 of them are "empty" so this is like an 8 pin cable. I tested both connectors and I found no problem with them: the power properly come to the socket 1 and the cpu works.

This system is designed for various use: work, rendering, computationally intensive software and of course for "normal" jobs like web surfing, games, etc.!

Shotzo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
So the seasonic PSU follows this pin out for both things that plug in to the motherboard?:

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/EPS12V_-_EATX12V_8_pin

If so, we'll just assume the motherboard needs to be replaced. The motherboard I have sells for 300$ on newegg. My only complaint is the time it takes to even get to the Windows boot loader (~100 seconds, thanks to the Option ROM in the ASUS PIKE module. Thankfully the option ROMs for the LAN ports can be dsiabled from BIOS. They add another 30 seconds -.-). My other complaint: no integrated sound.

ODP

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Yes. I will try to find another PSU that can handle the 2 Xeons (etc.) just in case...

But honestly I think that - like I said earlier - the mainboard it's somewhat faulty or (worse!) the 2 cpu are incompatible each other and cannot work togheter (at least on this mobo).....I don't belive the latter hypothesis though, and I really don't want to belive it!!!

Shotzo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
If they are both Xeon processors, they should be compatible. I refuse to believe they wouldn't be, simply because I want to upgrade my system to dual Xeon's when I get more money. A 1900$ paper weight is not in my best interests.

Of course, there's always the hypothesis that the second socket on your motherboard is bad. Can't test that theory though; even a good board wouldn't turn on with only socket 2 populated. All the good stuff is connected to socket 1 (see the block diagram at the end of the manual)

ODP

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
A 1900$ paper weight is not in my best interests.

Please, do not say this to me... :cry:

Yes I know that the board will not turn on with just socket 2 populated ( I tried this "solution" also, in desperation...)

Shotzo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Good to know! I've always removed standoffs that I can't stick a screw in, because I don't like to take chances on shorting something.

At least now I know I'm safe to install another processor! Hooray.

loocifur

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

I want to have the same mobo Z9PE-D8 WS in my new workstation,though I don't have enough cash for two Xeons, I would like to buy one at the time and get another one later. What I wanted to ask is if I can use only ONE XEON for the time being? And My other configs would be a 750w PSU Corsair.

What type of cooling you guys use? And if you have some time to give a few tips etc. I will use this rig for 3d rendering.

Shotzo

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Yes you can use only 1 xeon for the time being, I use air cooling for my only xeon, its one of those tower-type coolers with fans blowing hot air upwards.

nowikovs12

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hello,

have you managed to resolve your problem? Because at this moment I have run into the same problem, exactly as you mentioned. Once I switch on the motherboard, for couple of seconds the fans will go, but nothing else will happen. The Q-code LED's also don't light up.

Please let me know how you got on,

thank you,

Cat Thedorius

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Novikows12, did you sort out your dual xeon system problem on asus motherboard? I'm really tempted to get this motherboard for a C0 stepping xeon 2687. Would appreciate any advice/direction. cat

jonsax

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Hey there, I'm just curious, why are you stating the QA92 stepping as being a 2687W ES? The reason I'm asking is because I'm in a dispute with someone who bought my used QA92 chips which I thought were 2687W ES chips but I've come to learn they are not in fact 2687W ES at all, but are Engineering/Qualification chips and that stepping is not listed on the 2687W webpage on CPU world at all.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20E5-2687W.html

They in fact have their own separate page that doesn't show them as 2687W ES.

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/QA/QA92_1.html

So any clarification on this issue would help me resolve this matter as soon as possible. Thanks!