A Clusterfudge of Problems

jackofhearts495

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
This homebuilt system isn't running too well these days. Here are some of the major problems I've been having...

- Video feed randomly cuts out (this occurs once every few hours, not necessarily while it's under load/stress)

- Computer won't get to BIOS, instead comes up with an error (I'll try to find the exact error details). It would do this until I re-sat the RAM modules, which would seem to prevent the error from occurring for a few hours/days.

- Recently, when I try to boot up the PC, all I get is a thin, flashing white line in the upper-left corner of my screen. It never gets to the BIOS.

I've tried clearing the CMOS and reseating the RAM. I've only re-sat the video card a few times.

Specs are as follows:

Raidmax Azetc M-ATX Case

MSI 870A-G55 AM3 motherboard

EVGA GTX470 SuperClocked
- I installed a Zalman VF3000F after-market cooler on it, which is hooked up directly to the power supply

HEC X-Power Pro 600W Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHz CPU

Crucial RealSSD C300 (Win7)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200RPM SATA III HDD

G.Skill Ripjaws 4gb (2x2) DDR3 1600MHz (running at 1333MHz)

ANY feedback or help would be extremely appreciated. This is a rig I build for a relative, so I feel personally responsible for how it's running.

If it seems like something is dead/malfunctioning and needs to be RMA'd, I'd like to know about it and make it happen as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
These problems could be caused by a number of things so can be tricky to nail down. When you say video feed cuts out to you mean rig is still fuctioning just without video or is it actually shutting down/restarting? Shutdowns/restarts can be caused by the gpu or cpu overheating so its worth checking system temps under stress to make sure they are not getting too high. Also might be worth getting into the case and checking there isnt a build up of dust and that all fans are spinning freely. Fresh thermal paste can also help. Ram is another usual suspect when it comes to glitchy/unstable rigs so it might be worth swapping out with known good ram to see if the problem still remains. It would be really useful to know the exact error you are getting on boot-up. Are you getting any beeps on start-up?

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Aah sorry. My bad Silvune. Was thinking of Ultra X-Pro 600W not X-Power Pro. Too many psu's with 'X' and 'Pro' in the branding! Havn't actually managed to find any reviews for this particular PSU. Not a good sign I guess. So yes JackOfHearts495, Silvune is prob right. Even if you find it isnt the psu that is faulty its definately worth upgrading to a better supply if you can afford one.