This PC right for me?

toxianguardian

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I am an average Joe i guess one could say when it comes to computer builds- I'm smart enough to know the best price/performance comes from building ones own rig, but not so tech savvy as to be able to decide WHICH parts i should use in a build. For this reason i like to look over Tom's Articles, such as the system builder marathon articles, as they give me, the average joe, graphs and test settings that are put together well and spells out an overall picture for me.

On to the meat of my posting...I have been looking at the System Builder Marathon article for June 2011, and the 1k enthusiast build is the one that strikes my fancy. I am a Gamer, and would be using this build to play games such as The Witcher 2, Guild Wars 2, and other high graphical games that my current PC just cant handle. i finally have exactly 1k to spend, and have already made an account for newegg to get the ball rolling.

So my question- Is this build really right for me? Any improvements or changes anyone here can recommend, whilst staying within that 1k price range, would be very welcome and appreciated. 1k is alot for me, so i'm basiclly asking for a tech-savvy persons "Nod of Approval" before starting the journey.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc,2969.html

^ Link to the build :)

I have no need of OS's, monitors, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. just the tower build need be assesed, many thanks ahead of time.((Mod Edit- Not sure if this is right forumns, please move it if need be))

G

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Grumpy9117

What resolution is your monitor?

I would recommend that ram but in 1600mhz, not 1333. Make sure it's not over 1.5v.

Do you really need 2 video cards? I think a better choice for you would be a single faster video card.

Those prices are old and they have come down.

toxianguardian

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

my 24" monitor is 1920 x 1200

as for whether or not i need dual cards, i dont to my knowledge, perhaps you can recommend a better one then? i chose the build for price and on the premise that if it won the 1000$ marathon, it must be good :) As ive said before, im good with clicking stuff together, but 1333 vs 1600mhz makes zero sense to me. if it would be compatible with the other hardware choices in the build, i wouldnt mind one bit getting those instead. Your reccomendation doesnt fall on deaf ears, and thanks for the imput! i greatly appreciate it.

on a side note i plan on overclocking the rig to the specs tom's used, so if i need to do anything with the new video card you recommend, please include that :)

toxianguardian

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Ok i will most definetely swap the ram out for the higher 1600mhz ones.

Just so i dont expect too high of this system, for the games i listed, (witcher 2, guild wars 2, and other similar graphical games) am i going to be able to run these at high to max settings? that is after all the point of the build, so i guess it should have been my first question >_<

toxianguardian

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Thank You Very Much for your input GeekApproved, it has reassured me of my choice.

And in General Thank You to Tom's for there hard work, it can't be easy.