When you use the restore cd for a toshibawith windows 7 do you need a separate w

pdkees

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I have a Toshiba Satellite L3052D that is infected with viruses. I got the restore cd's from Toshiba, but I don't know if I need a separate Windows 7 cd also to get it back to the way it was when I bought it.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
surprised they didnt have a copy on the hd like my g.f. toshiba sattelite does. Pretty nice, hit a 2 key combo and you enter right into it, no cd required, no numbers to enter, pretty slick.

The restore set from Toshiba will have the operating system, drivers and any pre-installed software on them. You'd use the code that should be on your laptop to activate it. Keep in mind that running a system restore this way will wipe out all of your files / favorites / etc... off the laptop.

Just like hang-the-9 said, so don't forget to save your data first!

pdkees

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I could try it if I knew which two keys to use, however, this is the second time this laptop has been infected. The first time I paid someone to clean it up for me and that is how I obtained the restore cd's. So, I'm thinking if there was an easier fix, the guy wouldn't have needed the restore cd's.

pdkees

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

The laptop belonged to my 15 year old daughter and I got her a new one for Christmas. I am going to keep this one for myself. She downloaded something called Stopzilla that I can't get off there and a bunch of other stuff. I just thought it would be best to wipe it clean and start fresh. I'm no computer whiz, I do OK though. I am certainly open to an easier solution :)

Main problem with that though is when the HDD fails or has problems -- It usually also effects that hidden partition of the same physical HDD that the restore files are on -- SO having the restore files on the same HDD that has failed is not the smartest thing to rely on and you might want to use the included method to actually create a set of restore disks to use when enivitably somewhere down the line the HDD fails and you can not access the restore partition on that same HDD !

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Well hdd failure isnt really a issue on a laptop to begin with, generally your not read/ writing near as much as a desktop does. And if worse comes to worse send off to the manufacturer to get some recovery cd's. And i dont have a problem with hdd failures, ive only lost 2 in the last 12 yrs, and both of those were ide- so no real loss.

Drive failure in a laptop is more of a risk than in desktops, they get moved a lot more and often while the drive is spinning, causing hardware failures. If someone just sat the laptop in one spot, or never moved it while it was running, then the failure rate would be about the same. Even then, the smaller laptop hard-drives are more of a risk to heat and shock.

If someone had a laptop and a desktop, and used the desktop mainly and a laptop every so often, then you can say that the laptop drive is less likely to fail. With situations where a laptop is used regularly, the drive is more likely to fail than in a desktop. This is why there are so many issues with USB drives and flash drives, they just get tossed around and break.

pdkees

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Oh no, no, no.....not the case at all. She has had the Toshiba for a while and she wanted a faster one with more memory and a webcam. ANYWAY, thank you for your input AND the link :)

hydroment

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Harddrives in laptops will fail sooner than in a desktop also, depending on the habits of the user, due to heat. Often laptops will get set on the lap, bedspread, or carpet. All of these and more will block the vents on the bottom and prevent cooling. Seen it more than once.

hydroment

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Not assuming anything. So please don't assume I did. No place in my post did I refer to you or the OP, only stated that this does happen. And in my experience, Often. Replaced too many for others to know any different.

Cheers!