Sign in with
Your question

What should I do to these BIOS settings? Just built my first PC.

Last response: in Motherboards
August 4, 2012 1:16:00 AM

Here are my present BIOS settings. They're all currently set to default, since I initially tried to screw around in my BIOS and ended up unable to connect to the internet (followed by a failure to boot windows, which was scary -- luckily, however, Windows Repair did a system restore and I managed to boot again, although I had to reinstall my motherboard / video card drivers... Again, what a relief.)

Here are the settings of what I thought to be important. My BIOS is simple and doesn't really seem to have many functions, but here are most of the ones I didn't comprehend (I.E. I didn't list things like "beep when windows boots successfully"):

Note: All of the settings below are changeable.

-PCI SUBSETTINGS-
PCI ROM Priority (what the heck?)
PCI latency timer (32 PCI bus clocks, but it's clockable up to 248)
VGA Palette Snoop (Disabled)
-No Snoop (Enabled)
-Max Payload (clocks up to 4096 BYTES ((not megabytes, it just says "bytes")). Changing this setting might've been what caused all the trouble mentioned above, but I don't really know for sure.)
Max Read Request (Again, this scales all the way up to 4096 byes. This also might've been what caused the headache mentioned above. I don't really know, though. Now it's at the default, just like Max Payload.)
ASPM Support (Disabled)

-BOOT-
Setup prompt timeout (2)
GateA20 active (upon request)
Option ROM messages (forced BIOS)
Interrupt 19 Capture (disabled)
BIOS flash protection (enabled)
UEFI Boot (disabled)

-PERFORMANCE-
fixed CPU ratio (disabled)
enhanced intel speedstep technology (enabled)
CPU C1E (enabled)
DRAM timing control (by SPD)

I clocked my memory up to 1333 megahertz, which is its maximum speed.

So, what settings need to change? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm extremely timid right now.

More about : bios settings built

a c 125 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 1:19:43 AM

All of those setting, and I mean all of them, should stay at their defaults unless you are given a specific reason for changing one of them.
m
l
August 4, 2012 2:15:49 AM

That isn't a helpful answer, Abekl. My "specific reason" for potentially modifying options in my BIOS is so that my system's multimedia performance (gaming...) isn't gimped. I'd rather not suffer tremendous performance dips due to options that (should? can?) be clocked up.

Look. I understand that messing around in the BIOS can be harmful, but from what I understand, default settings can unnecessarily gimp system performance.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 2:41:21 AM

Leaving your BIOS settings at default aren't going to gimp your performance or cause you to suffer "tremendous performance dips." The only performance tweaking you should worry about in the BIOS would be overclocking your RAM and CPU (if your cpu can overclock). Otherwise, you should leave it alone - if you don't know what you're doing, you're more likely to damage it than to gain any performance (if you even could).
m
l
August 4, 2012 4:28:06 AM

I should certainly hope you're right. I'd rather not leave something at "32 MB" when it could -- and perhaps should -- be at "4096 MB," or something of that nature.
m
l
!