Asking for advince about new GPU, the reccomended way

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Purchase date: Next month.
Budget Range: £200 max.
Usage: Gaming, Shogun 2, Mass Effect 3 when it comes out, Portal 2, high end stuff.
Current GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770.
Current Power Supply: 950w Powercool (overkill, I know)(This is a good PSU so please don't base any recommendations saying it can't handle the card).
System Specs: In sig.
Preferred website: Scan.co.uk, Ebuyer.com, ebay.co.uk, not too fussed.
Overclocking: Yes, more than likely
Crossfire: Doubt it, second PCIe lane is only x4 :(
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
The least that I'd upgrade from a 5770(which i currently have and pretty much plays everything with enough eye candy to enjoy) is to a 6950 2gb, since you already know Mass Effect 3 will be console port, so am guessing 5770 can handle it just fine. Though, what I decided after much thinking is that I'll wait for the next generation of graphics card. I just finished Witcher 2 no problems. However, If I were to upgrade now, would be something like a GTX 570, since $500 for a 580 its just too much.

actually your PSU is crap, that brand is so crap they use fake 80 plus labels: source > http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/archive/power-supplies-fake/6112 . If you search them on google you find very little information and the few articles that you can find, are all negative toward them being cheap crap. Sorry to burst your bubble about that one....... But either way it should still be able to handle that setup if it can even produce half its rated power.