Building a Hackintosh?

newbie1992

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hello guys, my understanding is that Windows 7 is an OS and iOS X is also an OS, so logically, I can build a mac correct?

My question is... why hasn't anyone been doing it? I've done some researched and apparently it's not that simple... and also... I find it hard to find a legitimate site to learn how to build a "Hackintosh"...

So members of Tom's Hardware, please let me know what you think...

1) Is it cost effective to build your own mac or just go to apple store and buy one?

2) Is it worth the hassle if there's any?

3) I'm doing this for my film major friends, I want to know if I can build them one that is cheaper than the Mac Pros you buy from apple.

EDIT: Okay... so I've read somewhere that it is illegal to install Mac OS X on anything else but a Macintosh -.-

Solution
Take a look at the OSx86 Project Wikis - it has almost endless lists of tested hardware and OS versions: http://www.osx86project.org/

Okay... so I've read somewhere that it is illegal to install Mac OS X on anything else but a Macintosh -.-
It's technically against the EULA as written, but Psystar is still challenging Apple on that (I believe - they've been offline for over a year now).

Dang.. why 12GB of RAM?

Another thing.. I would be dishing out money for windows 7 and for Mac OS X, is that really economical?

Altay is talking about Virtual Machines (VMs) that can run an OS inside another OS legally (in this case - Mac OS X inside Windows 7). VMs tend to use a ton of RAM (you need some for the other OS...
Well not illegal, Apple don't write the law (yet). I was thinking of doing this a while back, even if Apple say you shouldnt do it i think if you buy the OS it is at least morally right and that is enough for me. The thing is, apparently it will only work on very specific motherboards and it is difficult to find out which ones since the manufacturers aren't going to advertise the fact. Also, apparently even if you get it to work you have to keep messing with it to get it to keep working ie. updates and things will mess it up.

Basically i would say it is incredibly cost effective compared to buying a Mac since theyre often 2 or 3 times the price of PC's. The problem is the constant tinkering to get it to work, thats even if you do find a motherboard it will work on.

EDIT: Just remembered, it also has to be an Intel CPU. AMD won't work.

G

Hmm, I have an idea, First build a PC and install windows 7 then run Virtual machine and install it there for a guranteed work.

Take a look at the OSx86 Project Wikis - it has almost endless lists of tested hardware and OS versions: http://www.osx86project.org/

Okay... so I've read somewhere that it is illegal to install Mac OS X on anything else but a Macintosh -.-
It's technically against the EULA as written, but Psystar is still challenging Apple on that (I believe - they've been offline for over a year now).

Dang.. why 12GB of RAM?

Another thing.. I would be dishing out money for windows 7 and for Mac OS X, is that really economical?

Altay is talking about Virtual Machines (VMs) that can run an OS inside another OS legally (in this case - Mac OS X inside Windows 7). VMs tend to use a ton of RAM (you need some for the other OS, especially if you're running heavy programs in it for film).

If the W7 computer ends up being significantly cheaper, then buying both OSes is more economical because you spent less than you would have on a Mac.

The problem is the constant tinkering to get it to work, thats even if you do find a motherboard it will work on.
Very important point. If you're not very tech savvy or don't have the time to debug a computer, then this may not be the route for you. I'm not saying you'll always have issues with a Hackintosh, but on some occassions you'll have to spend some time debugging your computer, which can take minutes to hours.

Solution