Solved

FIRST TIME BUILD PLZ SEE

Ok, this is my first ever build and i wanted to know if the specs are good enough.

i will be shopping on various sites

BTW I live in Canada

CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Motherboard : ASUS P8P67 LE LGA 1155

Case : COOLER MASTER ELITE 430

Memory : CORSAIR XMS 8GB

GPU : ASUS RADEON 6850

PSU : CORSAIR 600W

CPU COOLING : COOLER MASTER HYPER 212

HARD DRIVE: WD CAVIAR BLACK 1TB
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first time build
  1. to tell you if the specs are good enough, we first need to know what you want the computer to do and what budget you are working with please fill out this form (copy paste) in a reply.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

    WD Blue drives are not a fast as the WD Black series. I would suggest a WD black series.
  2. The psu is overkill unless your planning on Crossfire in the future, and if that's the case, you'll need a different motherboard.

    Choose WD Black, not Blue. Everything else looks ok.
  3. Approximate Purchase Date: NEXT WEEK

    Budget Range: $1500 MAX

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: FAST SYSTEM/ HIGH PROCCCECING POWER/ HI RES GAMING , INTERNET ...

    Parts Not Required: NOTHING

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: MANY SITES INCLUDING NCIX, DIRECT CANDADA, TIGER DIRECT

    Country of Origin: CANADA

    Parts Preferences: ASUS AND INTEL PREFERRED.

    Overclocking: TO THE MAX

    SLI or Crossfire: NEVER

    Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

    Additional Comments: WINDOW FOR SURE
  4. Best answer
    thanks to ataryens for some of the footwork on some the links below.

    Core i5 2500k @ $208 (pricematch with http://www.hltechnology.com/one_prod.php?pid=039880 )
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57962

    ASRock Z68 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI DVI VGA Audio GBLAN Motherboard $138.98
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=61747&vpn=Z68%20Pro3&manufacture=ASRock

    Mushkin 2x4GB @ $45 ($35 after mail in rebate)
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=55544&promoid=1307

    Silverstone Strider Essential ST60F-ES 600W Power Supply $68.99
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58739&vpn=ST60F-ES&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology

    Coolermaster HAF 912 @ $49 (pricematch with http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/230752/RC-912-KKN1/COOLERMASTER/
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=55583

    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB @ $40 (pricematch with http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC9911 )
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58402

    DVD Burner @ $19
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60344&promoid=1307

    Coolermaster Hyper 212+ @ $23 (pricematch with http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=1946101809P )
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41337

    Crucial M4 128 GB@ $199 (price Match with http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11230DR7592)
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60445&vpn=CT128M4SSD2&manufacture=CRUCIAL%20TECHNOLOGY

    EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked Fermi 797MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card $311.40* (after $25 MIR)
    Price match with (http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11610BD7504)
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57362&vpn=012-P3-1572-AR&manufacture=eVGA

    nGear SATA Serial ATA Hard Drive Data Cable 18 Inch 7 Pin @ $0.55 (pricematch with http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/115071/RC-SATA-18IN/nGear%20Technologies%20Inc./ )
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15994

    -------
    $1129


    monitor
    ASUS VE247H 23.6IN Widescreen LED LCD Monitor 1920X1080 2MS 10M1DC HDMI DVI-D VGA Speaker $154.69
    (price match with http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530MN1186
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57310&vpn=VE247H&manufacture=ASUS
    OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM $119.98
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=45271&vpn=GFC-00599&manufacture=Microsoft
    -------
    $274

    pick out your own KB and mouse. ($40)

    total $1443
  5. jerreddredd said:
    thanks to ataryens for some of the footwork on some the links below.

    Core i5 2500k @ $208 (pricematch with http://www.hltechnology.com/one_prod.php?pid=039880 )
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57962

    ASRock Z68 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI DVI VGA Audio GBLAN Motherboard $138.98
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=61747&vpn=Z68%20Pro3&manufacture=ASRock

    Mushkin 2x4GB @ $45 ($35 after mail in rebate)
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=55544&promoid=1307

    Silverstone Strider Essential ST60F-ES 600W Power Supply $68.99
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58739&vpn=ST60F-ES&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology

    Coolermaster HAF 912 @ $49 (pricematch with http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/230752/RC-912-KKN1/COOLERMASTER/
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=55583

    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB @ $40 (pricematch with http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC9911 )
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58402

    DVD Burner @ $19
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60344&promoid=1307

    Coolermaster Hyper 212+ @ $23 (pricematch with http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=1946101809P )
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41337

    Crucial M4 128 GB@ $199 (price Match with http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11230DR7592)
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60445&vpn=CT128M4SSD2&manufacture=CRUCIAL%20TECHNOLOGY

    EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked Fermi 797MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card $311.40* (after $25 MIR)
    Price match with (http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11610BD7504)
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57362&vpn=012-P3-1572-AR&manufacture=eVGA

    nGear SATA Serial ATA Hard Drive Data Cable 18 Inch 7 Pin @ $0.55 (pricematch with http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/115071/RC-SATA-18IN/nGear%20Technologies%20Inc./ )
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15994

    -------
    $1129


    monitor
    ASUS VE247H 23.6IN Widescreen LED LCD Monitor 1920X1080 2MS 10M1DC HDMI DVI-D VGA Speaker $154.69
    (price match with http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530MN1186
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57310&vpn=VE247H&manufacture=ASUS
    OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM $119.98
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=45271&vpn=GFC-00599&manufacture=Microsoft
    -------
    $274

    pick out your own KB and mouse. ($40)

    total $1443



    THANKS ALOT for the suggestions (specially for the links and price matches) ill be sure to chage some of my stuff, but i want to make a few notes.

    1. i'd rather get a smaller ssd and 1tb hard drive than 128g and 500g (i do need a fast bootup time and im only going to store windows on my ssd).

    2.Im a littile short on space , im going to go with the same model monitor ; however, ill get a 21.5 in.

    3. I already own a legit copy of windows.

    4. i think a gtx 570 is a bit too much for me. ill pick the 560 ti.

    5. isnt a Hard Drive Data Cable included with my parts?

    and i dont think the 912 has a window...


    Thanks Again
  6. cyrusthegreat said:
    THANKS ALOT for the suggestions (specially for the links and price matches) ill be sure to chage some of my stuff, but i want to make a few notes.

    1. i'd rather get a smaller ssd and 1tb hard drive than 128g and 500g (i do need a fast bootup time and im only going to store windows on my ssd).

    2.Im a littile short on space , im going to go with the same model monitor ; however, ill get a 21.5 in.

    3. I already own a legit copy of windows.

    4. i think a gtx 570 is a bit too much for me. ill pick the 560 ti.

    5. isnt a Hard Drive Data Cable included with my parts?

    and i dont think the 912 has a window...


    Thanks Again


    your post was kinda cryptic "Parts Not Required: NOTHING" "WINDOW FOR SURE" I thought you needed an OS. "FAST SYSTEM/ HIGH PROCCCECING POWER/ HI RES GAMING" sounded like you wanted a beast (that's what got the 570).

    I agree a GTX 560 ti is better deal.
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Fermi 850MHZ 1024MB 4104MHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58347&vpn=01G-P3-1561-AR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1307


    I recommend sticking with the 128GB M4. you get spoiled by the speed and what everything on it. It also is faster than the 64GB version and got Tom's Best buy award.

    for a case with a window, look at those sites and pick a few you like and post them and we can give you our opinions. what looks good to me, may not be your cup of tea.

    the extra cable - most MB's only come with 2 SATA cables....HDD, DVD, SSD (need 3 total)


    For 1TB HDD
    HOT DEAL:
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 49.99 free shipping
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    or one of these:
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58746&vpn=ST31000524AS&manufacture=Seagate
    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=25350DR0783&vpn=WD1002FAEX&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD
  7. Try a NZXT Lexa Blackline Mid Tower Case it has windows
    http://ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=Lexa+Blackline

    My only issue with this is that I saw your Graphics Card and it seems rather large, you may want to go with a Full ATX Case. I have a Radeon HD 5870 2GB so I decided to go with the NZXT Phantom.
  8. jerreddredd said:
    your post was kinda cryptic "Parts Not Required: NOTHING" "WINDOW FOR SURE" I thought you needed an OS. "FAST SYSTEM/ HIGH PROCCCECING POWER/ HI RES GAMING" sounded like you wanted a beast (that's what got the 570).

    I agree a GTX 560 ti is better deal.
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Fermi 850MHZ 1024MB 4104MHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58347&vpn=01G-P3-1561-AR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1307


    I recommend sticking with the 128GB M4. you get spoiled by the speed and what everything on it. It also is faster than the 64GB version and got Tom's Best buy award.

    for a case with a window, look at those sites and pick a few you like and post them and we can give you our opinions. what looks good to me, may not be your cup of tea.

    the extra cable - most MB's only come with 2 SATA cables....HDD, DVD, SSD (need 3 total)


    For 1TB HDD
    HOT DEAL:
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 49.99 free shipping
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    or one of these:
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58746&vpn=ST31000524AS&manufacture=Seagate
    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=25350DR0783&vpn=WD1002FAEX&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD



    i am very sorry about my other post. The reason is that i was outside and i was in such hurry, so i could not remember what I had at home already LOL. (ex. Windows7)

    i read a few review on the ssd that you recmomened and i have to say that it is worth getting; also, the samsung 1tb hd is a very good deal so im going for it.

    as for the case,, there seems to be alot that i like so i narrowed it down to these.

    Coolermaster Elite 430 (my original choise)

    NZXT TEMPEST EVO

    ANTEC 900

    NZXT Alpha

    NZXT LEXA S


    NZXT has a great line of cases and they are affordable.
  9. cyrusthegreat said:

    as for the case,, there seems to be alot that i like so i narrowed it down to these.

    Coolermaster Elite 430 (my original choise)

    NZXT TEMPEST EVO

    ANTEC 900

    NZXT Alpha

    NZXT LEXA S

    NZXT has a great line of cases and they are affordable.


    Well I'm partial to the NZXT (see Tag line for my Vulcan Build) the Alpha and Lexa S are the same case internally for the most part. If its a gaming box and you want a conversion piece get the Lexa S. if its going be a gaming box in disguise the get the Alpha. the Tempest Evo just doen't do it for me, its a solid case, just not my cup of tea. the Coolermaster 430 is a mainstay of Budget gamers along with the Antec 100,200,300,600, and 900 (just plain) I like the individuality of the NZXT line.

    NZXT has great customer service too. if something breaks of isn't right, they will ship you a new part no questions asked.

    here is the forum link
    http://www.nzxt.com/forum/index.php
  10. jerreddredd said:
    Well I'm partial to the NZXT (see Tag line for my Vulcan Build) the Alpha and Lexa S are the same case internally for the most part. If its a gaming box and you want a conversion piece get the Lexa S. if its going be a gaming box in disguise the get the Alpha. the Tempest Evo just doen't do it for me, its a solid case, just not my cup of tea. the Coolermaster 430 is a mainstay of Budget gamers along with the Antec 100,200,300,600, and 900 (just plain) I like the individuality of the NZXT line.

    NZXT has great customer service too. if something breaks of isn't right, they will ship you a new part no questions asked.

    here is the forum link
    http://www.nzxt.com/forum/index.php


    well i really like the lexa s but i dont like the front door.
    what do u think about the NZXT M59.
  11. cyrusthegreat said:
    well i really like the lexa s but i dont like the front door.
    what do u think about the NZXT M59.


    Good case, but if you want good airflow, you should buy some case fans for it. (One for top and one for the front...Not sure if you can put some in the front though...) That case looks similar to the Rosewill Challenger but has a transparent window on the side. And is missing a fan in the front.
  12. cyrusthegreat said:
    well i really like the lexa s but i dont like the front door.
    what do u think about the NZXT M59.


    it's cool. the only problems reported with the case is it has issues with the Stealth bay mounting a DVD drive and blocking the second top fan spot. Most people install the DVD in the second bay and put that mesh grill in place of the stealth bay cover.
    like aznwings said you should get at least 1-3 additional 120mm fans for it to create good airflow. the important place to put and additional fan would be the front panel to get fresh air into the case. I would look into a fan controller if you are worried about noise.
  13. jerreddredd said:
    it's cool. the only problems reported with the case is it has issues with the Stealth bay mounting a DVD drive and blocking the second top fan spot. Most people install the DVD in the second bay and put that mesh grill in place of the stealth bay cover.
    like aznwings said you should get at least 1-3 additional 120mm fans for it to create good airflow. the important place to put and additional fan would be the front panel to get fresh air into the case. I would look into a fan controller if you are worried about noise.



    ugghhh its soo hard choosing a case. i hate the cases that i chose now
    ok here is what i want in a case


    1- I DONT CARE ABOUT AIRFLOW BUT HAZZZZ TO BE QUIET
    2- I WANT A NICE BIG WINDOW
    3- I DONT WANT ANYTHING OVER $150
    4- COLOR DOESNT MATTER
  14. cyrusthegreat said:
    ugghhh its soo hard choosing a case. i hate the cases that i chose now
    ok here is what i want in a case


    1- I DONT CARE ABOUT AIRFLOW BUT HAZZZZ TO BE QUIET
    2- I WANT A NICE BIG WINDOW
    3- I DONT WANT ANYTHING OVER $150
    4- COLOR DOESNT MATTER


    Other than NZXT cases, these are cool:

    Zalman Z9 Plus. this is one of my favorite gaming cases. its quiet, has 4 fans and a built-in fan control. also has a windows and mesh. not a big window though. its $50 at ncix and Best direct.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235027&Tpk=z9%20plus
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/232532/Z9%20Plus/ZALMAN%20TECH/
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57910&vpn=Z9%20Plus&manufacture=ZALMAN%20TECH&promoid=1307

    The silverstone Raven is also good choice, cool and quiet. it's a little different as the MB is rotated 90 degrees so that all the heat exhausts out the top. it rocks!
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60646&vpn=RV03B-W&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=42480&vpn=RV02B-W&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/219503/RV02B-W/Silverstone%20Technology/
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/231795/RV02B-EW/Silverstone%20Technology/
  15. Wow I wish I saw the Zalman Z9 Plus when I was building my computer a month ago. :(
  16. jerreddredd said:
    Other than NZXT cases, these are cool:

    Zalman Z9 Plus. this is one of my favorite gaming cases. its quiet, has 4 fans and a built-in fan control. also has a windows and mesh. not a big window though. its $50 at ncix and Best direct.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235027&Tpk=z9%20plus
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/232532/Z9%20Plus/ZALMAN%20TECH/
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57910&vpn=Z9%20Plus&manufacture=ZALMAN%20TECH&promoid=1307

    The silverstone Raven is also good choice, cool and quiet. it's a little different as the MB is rotated 90 degrees so that all the heat exhausts out the top. it rocks!
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60646&vpn=RV03B-W&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=42480&vpn=RV02B-W&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/219503/RV02B-W/Silverstone%20Technology/
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/231795/RV02B-EW/Silverstone%20Technology/


    WOW I LOOVE THE ZALMAN Z9.
    I READ MANY REVIEWS ON IT AND THEY ALL SAY ITS GREAT.
    THXX SOO MUCH
  17. cyrusthegreat said:
    WOW I LOOVE THE ZALMAN Z9.
    I READ MANY REVIEWS ON IT AND THEY ALL SAY ITS GREAT.
    THXX SOO MUCH


    good features for the price.

    anything else you need help with?
  18. jerreddredd said:
    good features for the price.

    anything else you need help with?


    well actually yes

    since this is my first time buying from ncix i wanna how there service is
    ,and i live vancouver so i can have them ship my stuff to the local ncix shop and pick up there.
    how long does it take and will there be damage on the stuff.
  19. BUMMMPP
  20. cyrusthegreat said:
    well actually yes

    since this is my first time buying from ncix i wanna how there service is
    ,and i live vancouver so i can have them ship my stuff to the local ncix shop and pick up there.
    how long does it take and will there be damage on the stuff.


    I have no idea. I would hope that it would be fast and and not involve any damage.
  21. Best answer selected by CyrusTheGreat.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product