Question about SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerrith

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
I am considering adding a second video card. My question is, if I do add the second video card, can I disable it in device manager when I'm not gaming to conserve power and reduce heat?

Solution
What video cards are you working with? And what are the statistics on your power supply?

Video cards that aren't gaming or producing detailed objects, are operating at idle power. Often this is a very low wattage. So disabling the second video card to conserve electricity isn't going to make a big difference. Often at idle, video cards don't take more than 20W of power.

When working with two video cards you do get an increase in performance, along with an increase in heat generated. Before adding a second video card, consider the strength of your power supply. Does it provide enough Wattage and AMPS? These AMPS are located on the 12 volt rail.

Also, does your power supply carry the appropriate connectors? For example, some cards...

4745454b

Titan
Disabling it won't make a difference. At best it will stay at the 2D clocks and suck the same amount of power anyways. At worst with no driver loaded it will switch to its 3D clocks and use more. The only way to cut down the heat/power is to remove it.

jrodfry

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
What video cards are you working with? And what are the statistics on your power supply?

Video cards that aren't gaming or producing detailed objects, are operating at idle power. Often this is a very low wattage. So disabling the second video card to conserve electricity isn't going to make a big difference. Often at idle, video cards don't take more than 20W of power.

When working with two video cards you do get an increase in performance, along with an increase in heat generated. Before adding a second video card, consider the strength of your power supply. Does it provide enough Wattage and AMPS? These AMPS are located on the 12 volt rail.

Also, does your power supply carry the appropriate connectors? For example, some cards require one or two power connectors. Sometimes, when dealing with high end video cards, they might have one 6-pin and one 8-pin. If your power supply has these appropriate connectors for the video cards you are thinking of, then you are in good shape.

Another point to consider (I hope I'm not making this too dull), does your motherboard support SLI (probably)?
So, to sum it all up, If you have good cooling, plenty of power, and a motherboard that supports SLI with a good bandwidth, then yes I'd say go for it.

Solution

zerrith

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
I currently have a gtx 480, Corsair 1000HX psu, an ASUS P6X58D premium mobo, and a HAF 932 case so I'm pretty sure my rig can handle it. I am just paranoid about overheating.

jrodfry

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
It seems like your case, if it has all the fans like the pictures demonstrate, then you should be fine for cooling. I agree with 4745454b, you probably won't have a problem. By the way, very nice rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.