Transmitting from pc to radio

Einder

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I was wondering if there was a way that I could transmit a local signal using my wireless or bluetooth connections to my radio for audio sound. That way I could tune the radio to a certain channel in the house while my computer is playing music/movies/ect. Is this possible?

Einder

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

No offense, I know your only trying to help, but that had nothing to do with the question I asked. I know about wireless networking, but it's almost impossible to use the wireless router in that way, was wondering more if I could use my laptop to project the fm radio signal through the wireless already installed on it

If you can find a way to change the frequency at which the network card transmits and write new software to have the multimedia software to communicate to the NIC, then maybe you can.

the frequency for NICs is 2.4+GHz whereby FM uses 88.1 to 107.9 MHz.
you would have the change the electronic parts on the NIC.

The Item I proposed would connect to the audio out or headset connector on the sound card and transmits the audio via FM radio transmitter which can be received by a radio.

Einder

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Then perhaps you posted the wrong link, because the only thing I saw in that link was about how to get into your router to fix wireless settings to not need a password.

Einder

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Thank you, however, I've already found some of those that are battery powered, was looking more for something I wouldn't have to pay for..perhaps change a few settings at the most. Thank you for your reply though :)

Jan123

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Hello. I am trying to do something similar: I want to transmit the signal from an internet radio (with tuner and remote control), directly plugged into the router (so no need to have the PC switched on, no need to have the WiFi turned on) to FM for indoor usage. Could this work?

You wrote that you found a battery powered device. What's the make, type and supplier?
Thanks Jan jwbnl@compuserve.com

I suppose an FM transmitter would work, although all the ones I've ever seen are pretty bad, mostly because FCC regulations limit their power output to prevent inteference w/ other ppl's access to those same FM frequencies. Heck, I can't get them to work within the confines of the car most of the time, let alone get it to work throughput the home. And some limit you to only a small set of FM freqs. So even if it did work, I'm not sure it's worth it. Before committing to any specific device, you might want to find one that’s known to be easily hackable, one that you could perhaps ramp up the power output.