8 GB Kingston HyperX 6400 DDR2
Crucial 64 GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB HDD 7200 RPM 64MB Cashe
Hauppauge TV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner
Chilltech Black Ultra CPU Cooler
Sony 60" LCD TV
Window 7 Home Premium Upgrade

Overclocking- Plan to
SLI- Maybe, don't think I'll have room on MB.

Building Gaming HTPC. Need video card(s) and power supply to complete. Willing to spend up to $200 on card if necessary. Also need PSU recommendation.

Need card to have 1 HDMI, 1 D-Sub port.

Since I'm using my TV, with it's limited resolution, as my monitor, how much video card do I need? How much is too much?

Have been a console gamer since Atari, want to runs games like Crisis II and Bulletstorm. Also using PC for DVR and hub/receiver. Thanks.
June 3, 2011 5:55:08 PM

alternatively I would look at Nvidia, i do see reviews that AMD has a better score in HQV tests, but I have also had alot of friends have issues with AMD drivers in the long run, vs Nvidia, I have not had the same issues,,
for 200 bux, i would say 460GTX 1GB or a 560 (non TI) would work well,, although I am starting to see 560TI go for 225 with a mini HDMI to HDMI cable (Newegg right now), I personally have a 460GTX 768 mb model but I only have a 720 panel, it does pretty good, I haven't had anything not play smoothly and i only run at 65% usage on the GPU most of the time. ---- VERY QUIET CARD FOR HTPC BTW and low power usage if you plan to SLI in future
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2011 6:34:43 PM

monkeysweat, I'll give you my own experience: it's all the way around in drivers... AMD has been solid rock, while support for nVidia cards has left a some-what bad taste. The 7800GS has horrible TV support so we dumped it to the older PC wich is isolated, lol.

mosox's suggestion is quite fine by itself, because there's better TV compatibility in AMD/ATI products hands down. I've had TERRIBLE experience with nVidia cards; even my current GT425M equipped notebook sucks when u gotta make the HDMI work with some TVs, whereas my GF's Radeon 3200 equipped notebook has no troubles at all being an old fart video card, lol.

Also, since Full HD TVs are 1920x1080 (1080p) max, the 6870 is quite good for that. If you want something to last a lil' longer, maybe a 6950, but it's kinda overkill for 1080p ATM.

So, under the "HTPC" claim, AMD is the better value here and +1 to mosox.

Cheers!
June 4, 2011 12:13:56 AM

Wow, those are some great answers. I was hoping to stay with an Asus/nVidia card to match the MB. Now, idk. The Tv support is a big issue, and it is 1920x1080p. As for dual cards, the PCIx4 slot that my TV tuner fits in next to one of my PCIx16 slots so thats out. Prefer a card with at least one HDMI and one D-SUB for the touchscreen on my case. Not a big fan of adapters.

So how much does the maker of the MB and chipset factor in to your video card selection?

Is a SLI ready MB committed to just SLI cards or are SLI and Crossfire just the connection style of the card?

I know these are some noob questions but bare with me. As for the power supply, its got to power the LCD screen on the case and all the components listed plus whatever video card I go with and like, 5 fans. Thanks for your help.
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2011 6:44:58 AM

Most of the modern video cards don't have D-SUB. The mobo doesn't matter in the video card selection. That PSU has plenty of extra power.
a c 355 U Graphics card
June 4, 2011 8:35:21 AM

SLI is specific to using more than one nVidia card.

CrossFire is specific to using more than oneAMD/ATI card.

If you are only using a single video card then it does not matter which motherboard you use as long as it has a PCI-e 2.0 slot.

Generally speaking, only low end cards have D-SUB connections now.
June 5, 2011 10:17:51 PM

OK, ready to buy. The PSU and VGC mosox suggested seem to be ideal. Both have good reveiws and are reasonably priced, as much as video cards can be reasonably priced. But my God, as if sorting through all the different ranges of advancement and selecting the level of performance you can afford wasn't enough, then you have to pick a brand! It's overwhelming to say the least.

Is there anything better for the money?

Anything just as good but cheaper?

Or does the old saying ring true, you get what you pay for.

Ready to order tonight. I can safely say that after all the thought that I have put into the rest of this build, selecting the right VGC has been the most daunting. All you guys' help is appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2011 10:29:48 PM

Very good recommendation made by mosox. ;) 

a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2011 10:31:01 PM

And AMD USED to have some issues with drivers that I feel were over stated. There is no issue anymore.

June 5, 2011 10:33:28 PM

AMD still has more issues with their drivers than nvidia; that plus their menus are a pain to navigate.
June 5, 2011 11:15:50 PM

Don't most VGCs come with a DVI-to-VGA (D-SUB, RGB, whatever) adapter?
June 7, 2011 12:12:30 AM

Best answer selected by MXMech.
June 17, 2011 7:45:49 PM

Yuka said:
monkeysweat, I'll give you my own experience: it's all the way around in drivers... AMD has been solid rock, while support for nVidia cards has left a some-what bad taste. The 7800GS has horrible TV support so we dumped it to the older PC wich is isolated, lol.

mosox's suggestion is quite fine by itself, because there's better TV compatibility in AMD/ATI products hands down. I've had TERRIBLE experience with nVidia cards; even my current GT425M equipped notebook sucks when u gotta make the HDMI work with some TVs, whereas my GF's Radeon 3200 equipped notebook has no troubles at all being an old fart video card, lol.

Also, since Full HD TVs are 1920x1080 (1080p) max, the 6870 is quite good for that. If you want something to last a lil' longer, maybe a 6950, but it's kinda overkill for 1080p ATM.

So, under the "HTPC" claim, AMD is the better value here and +1 to mosox.

Cheers!

to each their own,, just giving my experience,,, I haven't had too many vid cards, but went from voodoo to an 8500GT to 460 - loved them all with no issues,,, meanwhile a friend with 5770 has had nothing but problems and had to do custom driver fix to make it work, my onboard video 785G has hard time playing 720p,, when it shouldn't
not trying to say anything bad, just adding to my standpoint.

Sincerely, I Hope you enjoy your card MXMech !! bottom line i don't like to hear of anyone spending money on something they didn't need or didn't work the way they need it to.

regards
June 18, 2011 3:12:10 AM

Appreciate you input. Got all my hardware, now if I can just get the damn thing to post! Think my MB might be bad. Gonna start a thread under that. Everything's new, but the case and MB have been assembled and collecting dust for like 4 years. This is my 1st build and now it looks like after buying everything based around maxing out that MB, I would have been better off (and maybe a little cheaper considering DDR2 prices) starting with a fresh up-to-date board.

Currently breadboarding that MB, CPU, and cooler. Same results. Lights on board come on, hit the power button, CPU gets hot, cooler lights and starts fan, PSU fan starts, 1 beep, and 4 seconds later, shuts off.

Any opinions on that are welcome. New thread called ARRRGG! $1500 boat anchor!.

Thanks.
!