Sign in with
Your question

XFX Radeon HD 6870 isnt recognized by my new computer - need help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2011 5:52:04 AM

Hey everyone,

I would like some help with figuring out why my new computer will not work with the video card i have bought

System specs

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
AMD Phenom X2 1090T
Patriot 8gb Ram
Western digital 1Terabyte 7200 Rpm 6GB/s Sata 3
XFX radeon hd 6870
750W OCZ Fatality Power Supply

The onboard graphics gets the computer going fine. In windows i unable to get computer to recognize the graphics card. If i delete the driver for video card it automatically recognizes the onboard graphics. If i disable the onboard graphics in BIOS I have a boot failure and nothing shows up on monitor (no matter which display port it is plugged into) And to get my system back I have to clear the CMOS.

I have tried both PCI slots and the same thing happens. The fan on the card is spinning so power should not be an issue. I do not have another computer that i can plug it into to test so im really depending on you guys.

Thanks,
Derek
June 3, 2011 6:15:00 AM

Do you have two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors connected from the OCZ power supply unit to the two 6-pin power connectors on the top of the Radeon HD 6870 graphics card?
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2011 6:55:01 AM

Are there any beep codes during POST (Power On Self Test)?

Is the graphics card properly seated in the PCI Express slot?
m
l
June 3, 2011 7:05:33 AM

if I leave the setting be (onboard graphics) I get one beep at power on then it goes to Windows. It does have a quick screen where it scans device and it says it cant find any, but then windows starts normaly.

in the bios if i set the onboard to disable i get several beeps and no video whatsoever.

I have taken the card out and reseated it each slot a couple of times and everything seems ok
m
l
June 3, 2011 7:13:29 AM

Don't forget to set boot priority to PCI-E instead of onboard (or something like that) in BIOS setup.
m
l
June 3, 2011 7:15:27 AM

Did you plug your monitor into the plug that comes out of the graphics card and not the back of your motherboard.
m
l
June 3, 2011 7:22:10 AM

as far as boot priority it is set as follows
1.hard drive
2.removable media
3.CD-rom

there is no boot priority for graphics cards within the bios that I can find or maybe there is and i just dont know what im looking at. there is a menu for chipset configuration which contains the following
northbridge chipset config
blah blah
internal graphics
-Primary video controller (GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI options that basically reorder these 4 things.. i have boot from each combination to no avail
-Internal Graphics Mode (UMA, UMA+ Sideport, Sideport - same as above)
and some other things that im fairly sure dont do much
m
l
June 3, 2011 7:27:07 AM

yup. tried every plug available while booting
m
l
June 3, 2011 7:32:57 AM

anyone know what IRQ assignments are?
m
l
June 3, 2011 6:06:19 PM

You really shouldnt need to delve into IRQ assignments (interrupt requests, allowing hardware devices to interuppt the CPU current activity to deal with something else, a big deal before plug and play hardware simplified things), with working parts you should be able to power on with the 6870 inserted and the monitor hooked up to it and get an image straight off. If youre getting a beep code with onboard disabled then I would think its the no video output found beep code... which makes me think faulty video card.

Rather than enormous troubleshooting, if possible I would start by taking it back to point of purchase and perhaps they can throw it into a terminal for you and test it.
m
l
June 3, 2011 6:56:45 PM

derekbbolt said:
internal graphics
-Primary video controller (GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI options that basically reorder these 4 things.. i have boot from each combination to no avail

GFX0 = PCIe x16 Primary Slot
GPP = General Purpose Processor ?
IGFX = Integrated Graphics Processor
PCI = PCI slot discrete graphics card
m
l
June 3, 2011 7:42:21 PM

derekbbolt said:
in the bios if i set the onboard to disable i get several beeps and no video whatsoever

m
l
June 3, 2011 8:06:56 PM

Thanks! I'm at work right now but when I get home I will try changing the video adapter setting again see what happens. I will also try disabling the onboard graphics and if the problem persists try to count the beeps. they go pretty fast!
m
l
June 3, 2011 8:09:26 PM

Should I try GFX0 or PCI as my first primary video controller. also, should i try disabling the onboard, set the video controller to GFX0, plug in the monitor the graphics card, then reboot?
m
l
June 3, 2011 8:18:44 PM

Have you tried testing the card in another computer?
m
l
June 3, 2011 8:20:33 PM

it was a tigerdirect purchase... :(  trying really hard not to have to send it off....
m
l
June 3, 2011 8:21:12 PM

no other computer to test it on.
m
l
June 4, 2011 12:53:10 AM

Hey guys, Changed the bios setting to GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI and plugged the monitor into the first port on the card. I did leave the internal graphics enable because everytime i disable it I have to clear the CMOS. When it booted computer beeped once but no video on the monitor. This is my first ever computer to build but as I understand it if the card works I still should get some video whether drivers are installed or not. One other note is that i did leave the onboard graphics card in windows functioning.

Ideas of things i can do different? or do i just need to get a replacement?
m
l
June 4, 2011 1:01:39 AM

If you can borrow or buy a cheap/used PCI Express graphics card, to troubleshoot with, it would help in determining whether or not the motherboard is the problem. If the troubleshooter graphics card works then the motherboard is fine and the problem is with the XFX Radeon HD 6870 graphics card.
m
l
June 4, 2011 9:21:52 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. Have tried to get help from XFX directly but they have not responded all week. I think I will just have to send it back for a replacement (assuming I can get someone on the phone, because email is definitely not the way to go).
m
l
June 15, 2011 2:56:38 AM

While helping a friend research the same problem, I ran across the same issue on another forum, where they were able to solve it by disabling the onboard graphics using the "Internal Graphics Mode" setting in the BIOS. Passed that along to said friend, which also solved their problem, so I'm sure it is well past the point of helping you, but at the very least maybe others will run across it and be helped.
m
l
June 15, 2011 4:39:37 AM

actually i tried that. did not work... have done an RMA... should find out if its the card or not in a day or two
m
l
Anonymous
June 23, 2011 10:11:00 PM

I have the exact same problem

With pretty much the same rig as yours (I have 4 less gigs of ram)

I tried writing to XFX, but no response yet
m
l
June 23, 2011 10:26:22 PM

They take awhile.... About 2 to 3 week turnaround to get your card to them and replaced. Should get my replacement in a day or two.

Wish I would have went with a EVGA GTX 560 now....
m
l
Anonymous
June 23, 2011 10:50:22 PM

Not sure if my card is broken or whatever

But when I received it with the post, it was very badly inserted in the MOBO and one of the metal "holders" had taken quite a beating
m
l
June 24, 2011 6:54:56 PM

Got the replacement. Does the same thing!!! I'm really confused now because XFX said the card was faulty but this replacement is doing the exact same thing. If they hadnt said it was faulty i would say its the mobo. It posts but no monitor out put at all no matter which output slot i use. Tried booting with onboard and detecting the board in windows and it doesnt see it (same as last time). Then I set the bios to GFX0 = PCIe x16 Primary Slot just to be safe and nothing. Gonna try to disable onboard graphics and boot again later. Hate to do it because ill have to clear the CMOS if it doesnt work. Ideas anyone?
m
l
June 24, 2011 11:54:03 PM

derekbbolt said:
Got the replacement. Does the same thing!!! I'm really confused now because XFX said the card was faulty but this replacement is doing the exact same thing. If they hadnt said it was faulty i would say its the mobo. It posts but no monitor out put at all no matter which output slot i use. Tried booting with onboard and detecting the board in windows and it doesnt see it (same as last time). Then I set the bios to GFX0 = PCIe x16 Primary Slot just to be safe and nothing. Gonna try to disable onboard graphics and boot again later. Hate to do it because ill have to clear the CMOS if it doesnt work. Ideas anyone?

I had a similar problem about two years ago with an 8800GT. I solved it by updating the graphics card bios, b/c there was a compatability issue with the motherboard chipset. Google *name of card* *name of mb chipset* *problems* and see if it turns anything up. Slightly easier, try updating the motherboard bios.

Test the card in another PC too, to see if it is the problem.
m
l
!