Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Look at this this RAM stick

Last response: in Memory
August 4, 2012 6:14:22 AM

There is a pin damaged here it's the one discolored, it's also bet like it's going to break off, but it willstill go in the slot, can i use it still? Thanks in advance!

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

More about : this ram stick

a b } Memory
August 4, 2012 6:38:44 AM

Is the memory under warranty? Most good memory comes with a lifetime warranty these days, so give it a try. If it doesn't work, send it in for a replacement.
m
l
a b } Memory
August 4, 2012 6:52:03 AM

Its missing the contact that's just bare PCB. I can't imagine it would work. Also warranties generally cover manufacturer defects, not physical damage from user abuse.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 4, 2012 7:02:03 AM

I don't see how that can be caused by user abuse. It looks like it came out of manufacturing that way.
m
l
a b } Memory
August 4, 2012 7:34:05 AM

abekl said:
I don't see how that can be caused by user abuse. It looks like it came out of manufacturing that way.

With it actually bent/almost broken and only one contact the company might disagree. That sounds more like someone trying to force it into a slot, or backwards, where the key wouldn't line up. Hard to see the extent of the damage and I'm not motivated enough to count pins to see if it lines up. The so-dimms notch is in that area though. just saying they might contest it, and if he knows that's what happened I wouldn't spend the money to ship it back.
m
l
August 5, 2012 2:08:38 AM

abekl said:
Is the memory under warranty? Most good memory comes with a lifetime warranty these days, so give it a try. If it doesn't work, send it in for a replacement.

The  ram is under warranty however I inflicted  the damage myself trying to force it in the wrong way out of frustration, I am not sure crucial would go for that, I am scared to put it back in the slot in fear of damaging the board, the link below is the kind of ram I use

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT1...
unksol said:
Its missing the contact that's just bare PCB. I can't imagine it would work. Also warranties generally cover manufacturer defects, not physical damage from user abuse.

I dont think it missing but discolored  I would have to look closer with a magnifying glass 
abekl said:

Nope I caused the damage it was fine when first bought 
unksol said:
With it actually bent/almost broken and only one contact the company might disagree. That sounds more like someone trying to force it into a slot, or backwards, where the key wouldn't line up. Hard to see the extent of the damage and I'm not motivated enough to count pins to see if it lines up. The so-dimms notch is in that area though. just saying they might contest it, and if he knows that's what happened I wouldn't spend the money to ship it back.

Yeah I wouldn't  try and exchange it
m
l
a b } Memory
August 5, 2012 2:38:55 AM

OK All cleared up for me now.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
August 5, 2012 2:42:51 AM

Normally, copper shouldn't come off the PCB unless exposed to extreme heat that can decompose the glue used for lamination. The contact could have come off due to a local defect in the glue layer. In that case, the contact could have come off regardless of whether you (attempted to) inserted it the right or wrong way.

Attempting to insert the DIMM backward would simply cause the key to butt against the DIMM's PCB edge and is unlikely to cause physical damage unless you really overdo it before realizing you were attempting to insert it the wrong way. If you have scrap PCBs lying around, try prying off PCB traces without leaving obvious tool marks on/around it, you will see that these things do not (normally) come off easily, it takes significant abuse.

If the missing contact is the only obvious anomaly/damage on the DIMM, I would RMA it and simply say "the contact crumpled when I inserted the DIMM in my motherboard and broke off" as the reason. Worst case, they might deny the RMA request in which case you won't have to ship your broken DIMM either. If they accept the RMA request, they won't have much to complain about when they receive exactly as described in the RMA request.

Copper separating from the PCB should not happen after mild mechanical abuse if the copper is properly bound to the PCB.
August 5, 2012 3:45:12 AM

Ok translation please "PCB" "RMA" ??
m
l
a b } Memory
August 5, 2012 4:19:20 AM

PCB = printed circuit board - the stiff board copper patterns get etched into and discrete components get soldered to.

RMA = return material authorization, the process of notifying the manufacturer that you have a defective part, confirm whether or not the claim is covered under the warranty and obtain a return authorization if the manufacturer accepts the claim. If you try returning something for warranty repair/replacement, many manufacturers will refuse if you do not obtain an RMA# first.
m
l
August 6, 2012 8:18:11 PM

InvalidError said:
PCB = printed circuit board - the stiff board copper patterns get etched into and discrete components get soldered to.

RMA = return material authorization, the process of notifying the manufacturer that you have a defective part, confirm whether or not the claim is covered under the warranty and obtain a return authorization if the manufacturer accepts the claim. If you try returning something for warranty repair/replacement, many manufacturers will refuse if you do not obtain an RMA# first.

Thank you very much!
InvalidError said:
Normally, copper shouldn't come off the PCB unless exposed to extreme heat that can decompose the glue used for lamination. The contact could have come off due to a local defect in the glue layer. In that case, the contact could have come off regardless of whether you (attempted to) inserted it the right or wrong way.

Attempting to insert the DIMM backward would simply cause the key to butt against the DIMM's PCB edge and is unlikely to cause physical damage unless you really overdo it before realizing you were attempting to insert it the wrong way. If you have scrap PCBs lying around, try prying off PCB traces without leaving obvious tool marks on/around it, you will see that these things do not (normally) come off easily, it takes significant abuse.

If the missing contact is the only obvious anomaly/damage on the DIMM, I would RMA it and simply say "the contact crumpled when I inserted the DIMM in my motherboard and broke off" as the reason. Worst case, they might deny the RMA request in which case you won't have to ship your broken DIMM either. If they accept the RMA request, they won't have much to complain about when they receive exactly as described in the RMA request.

Copper separating from the PCB should not happen after mild mechanical abuse if the copper is properly bound to the PCB.

Great advice, thank you i am going to take up on your advice!
m
l
August 8, 2012 6:24:19 PM

Best answer selected by Chala.
m
l
!