Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Graphic Card Upgrade (ati gpu will work on nvidia chipset)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 3, 2011 9:47:00 AM

Hi My name is Goran
I want to upgrade my graphic card, because mine doen't support DirectX 11 :( 

My System:

CPU: AMD Phenom Q9950 2.60GHz
CPU Cooler: Coolers Master V8
Mobo: ASUS P4N82 Deluxe(latest BIOS)
Chipset: nVidia 980a
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz
Graphic Card: 2x Gigabyte 9800GT 1GB GDDR3 (GV-N96TSL-512I)
HDD: 2x WD Caviar Green 500GB (raid 0)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850Watt

I am between:
ASUS ENGTS450 1GB
ASUS ENGTX560TI 1GB
ASUS EAH6850 1GB
ASUS EAH6870 1GB
ASUS EAH6950 1GB

what do you think?

also, will ati work on nvidia chipset?

Note: They are all asus because only asus gpu are compatible with asus EPU.
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 3, 2011 1:20:27 PM

I think you need a CPU upgrade. That quad core is "junk". Around the speed of a stock Q6600, but because its a PhI and not a PhII it won't OC much at all. (3GHz if you are lucky.) I'd buy the 6850 or 6870 and a new CPU.
Score
0
June 3, 2011 9:04:06 PM

I will upgrate my cpu the next 2 or 3 months, right now i want to upgrate my graphics becase they doesn't support DirectX 11...
ty for your reply btw
Score
0
Related resources
June 3, 2011 10:20:55 PM

You can run an ati card but you can't have a crossfire setup.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2011 11:04:43 PM

Uhm... To match 2 9800GT's in SLI in things that are not DX11 (like WoW, UT3 engine games and XBox ports, mostly) you're very limited with a single slot option... I mean, to consider it a worthy update on your current platform. Basically, having Direct X 11 for gaming alone doesn't justify changing 2 9800GT's yet IMO.

To be honest, focus first on the CPU (like 4745454b said); maybe get a PhII X4 955 C3 stepping and run it at ~3.9Ghz or directly get a PhII X6 (Thuban) if your MoBo supports it. That will give you a few extra FPS's with DX9c (most games anyway).

Unless, that is, that you're also looking for other new features... UVD3, HDMI 1.4 support, Sorround or Eyefinity, etc; or the specialized new DX11 features: tessellation, SM5.0 and DC (the multi threaded capabilities are also supported in DX9c - DX10.1). In that scenario, a 6950 would be the best Price/Performance video card for your system IMO. It would be a worthy upgrade from 2 9800GTs and perform a lot better (or give enough extra FPSs to justify it).

Cheers!
Share
June 4, 2011 1:19:31 PM

Yuka said:
Uhm... To match 2 9800GT's in SLI in things that are not DX11 (like WoW, UT3 engine games and XBox ports, mostly) you're very limited with a single slot option... I mean, to consider it a worthy update on your current platform. Basically, having Direct X 11 for gaming alone doesn't justify changing 2 9800GT's yet IMO.

To be honest, focus first on the CPU (like 4745454b said); maybe get a PhII X4 955 C3 stepping and run it at ~3.9Ghz or directly get a PhII X6 (Thuban) if your MoBo supports it. That will give you a few extra FPS's with DX9c (most games anyway).

Unless, that is, that you're also looking for other new features... UVD3, HDMI 1.4 support, Sorround or Eyefinity, etc; or the specialized new DX11 features: tessellation, SM5.0 and DC (the multi threaded capabilities are also supported in DX9c - DX10.1). In that scenario, a 6950 would be the best Price/Performance video card for your system IMO. It would be a worthy upgrade from 2 9800GTs and perform a lot better (or give enough extra FPSs to justify it).

Cheers!



This is my motherboards official page with full specs... could you tell me which CPU is better,
6-qore and quad-core cpu to choose one of them, depends from the money that i will have...

I don't know from AMD CPU's and which family is better, i was using intel all the time, and I change it just to try, when i was building this computer....
Score
0
June 4, 2011 1:40:35 PM

right now i wan't gona update my mobo
AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T 3.2GHZ SIX-CORE BLACK EDITION
one friend told me to buy this one, i found it very cheap 190euros
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2011 12:57:52 AM

Yes, that CPU is very good, but won't OC as well as the 955 c3 (or the 965 c3). So, for gaming alone, I'd say go for a 955 or 965 and will serve you better IMO.

Cheers!
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2011 1:05:38 AM

Yuka said:
Yes, that CPU is very good, but won't OC as well as the 955 c3 (or the 965 c3). So, for gaming alone, I'd say go for a 955 or 965 and will serve you better IMO.

Cheers!


I second that recommendation. ;) 
Score
0
June 5, 2011 2:56:12 PM

thank's for your recomandations, i think that i will get the 1090T, i won't overclock it anyway...
and about the gpu, i think that i will upgrade it after 2 weeks, when i will got the money to do so, recomandations?
I am looking for asus graphic cards, because only asus gpu's are supported from Asus EPU...
i am between

ASUS ENGTX560TI 1GB
ASUS EAH6950 1GB

probably i will go nVidia, but what do you think?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2011 4:52:17 PM

I'm sticking to my 6950 suggestion, since between those 2, the 6950 is slightly faster overall in most games.

Cheers!
Score
0
June 6, 2011 9:27:03 PM

thank's Yuka, probably i will get that one, but i am afraid because of nvidia chipset, i readed that doesn't matter, but i am still not so sure...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 12:05:06 AM

Some say: "see to believe", heh.

Good riddance and hope you get lot's of extra FPS'es, bro.

If you have any more doubts, don't hesitate to come and ask the Tom's community for help.

Cheers!
Score
0
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 7, 2011 5:00:41 AM

Does it help you to hear that I'm running an AMD GPU on an Intel chipset?
Score
0
June 7, 2011 7:24:59 PM

thank's about that i will think about it, how to choose better answer?
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 7, 2011 7:43:40 PM

Atanasov Goran said:
thank's about that i will think about it, how to choose better answer?

Try it now.
Score
0
June 8, 2011 2:37:26 AM

Best answer selected by Atanasov Goran.
Score
0
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 8, 2011 6:20:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
0
!