quiet laptop

Hi dudes

I'm on the lookout for a quiet laptop, preferably Intel-based. I've
heard about laptops where the fans don't come on unless you're gaming or
running something CPU-intensive - could anyone recommend such a laptop
from experience? Or provide any general guidelines to help me purchase
such a system?

I don't need anything fancy, just something nice and quiet with a bit of
power in case I need it (no Celerons!).

Ideally I'd like a laptop where the fans didn't come on at all if I was
just browsing the web or reading newsgroups.

Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about quiet laptop

    I think the running of the fan is relative to what sort of climate you live
    in.
    I live in a semi tropical climate and the fan on my Toshiba Satellite comes
    on frequently on HOT (greater than 30 degrees)
    days.
    The fan turns on even on cold days if I am doing video editing.
    I must admit the noise (or lack of) is not an issue for me as to me it seems
    not very loud.
    Hope this helps.

    John L. <john@nospam.com> wrote:
    : Hi dudes

    : I'm on the lookout for a quiet laptop, preferably Intel-based. I've
    : heard about laptops where the fans don't come on unless you're gaming or
    : running something CPU-intensive - could anyone recommend such a laptop
    : from experience? Or provide any general guidelines to help me purchase
    : such a system?

    Get a Pentium M-based system. Pentium M is a CPU designed for mobile
    computing: low power, high battery life, etc. The CPU fan will need
    to come on less often as a result. Pentium M also is more efficient
    per clock than the desktop Pentium 4 (now "Pentium D) CPU, so a 1.5GHZ
    Pentium M is something like a 3.0GHZ Pentium 4 in performance.

    "Centrino" is Intel's "laptop package" that includes a Pentium M CPU.

    : I don't need anything fancy, just something nice and quiet with a bit of
    : power in case I need it (no Celerons!).

    Nothing wrong with a Celeron. The originals got a bad rap because
    they were kind of clunky, but today's Celerons are just fine. They
    are a little slower than their counterparts at the same clock
    frequency, but for some the cost trade-off is worth it. I have a 2GHZ
    Celeron in my Toshiba laptop and don't notice lagging performance. I
    have a 2.4GHZ P4 desktop as well so I would know the difference. The
    very few times I really desire a faster CPU on my laptop have not been
    worth spending a few hundred bucks more on a faster laptop in the
    first place.

    : Ideally I'd like a laptop where the fans didn't come on at all if I was
    : just browsing the web or reading newsgroups.

    My Toshiba is pretty much like that. Even with a Pentium M, the
    frequency of the fan coming on will depend in part the cooling design
    of the laptop but will also depend on how hot the room is where you
    are using it.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    I was hoping by now someone would have come up with real samples, not
    generalities.

    I don't have samples either, and while I am fairly happy with my
    notebook in the noise area, I am not going to recommend a 5 years old
    model to you, and it's a Cely! (works for me).

    If I were on your shoes, and I don't get more precise answers, I'd
    look for a notebook with a processor in its class which is labelled as
    low power or low voltage. Go to the Intel website and verify indeed
    this processor sux less power. Less power=less reason for fan to come
    on.

    Now I won't be runing 3D, first-person gaming with this rig, and u
    shouldn't expect to.

    ---------------
    If your business is looking for quick free consulting,
    please ignore my replies. I only wish to reply to other
    engineers/administrators and home users who are stuck
    and not interested to give your business free consulting.

    Thank you.

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 12:10:42 +0100, "John L." <john@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I'm on the lookout for a quiet laptop, preferably Intel-based. I've
    >heard about laptops where the fans don't come on unless you're gaming or
    >running something CPU-intensive - could anyone recommend such a laptop
    >from experience? Or provide any general guidelines to help me purchase
    >such a system?
    >
    >I don't need anything fancy, just something nice and quiet with a bit of
    >power in case I need it (no Celerons!).
    >
    >Ideally I'd like a laptop where the fans didn't come on at all if I was
    >just browsing the web or reading newsgroups.

    OK, I have an IBM ThinkPad R50p. It is great. I was sitting in a
    meeting this morning, and I could hear the fans of a Dell Inspiron
    5100 and a Gateway (unknown model) over my own machine. The thing
    about that is that those systems were sitting at the other end of the
    table (10-15 feet away). Their fans were on almost constantly, and
    my system fans were off most of the time, and when they were on, I
    could barely hear them over the other two systems. I could tell mine
    was running by feeling the warm are coming out the vent, but I
    couldn't hear it.

    I have a Pentium M 1.7GHz processor, UXGA (1600x1200) LCD, 128MB
    video (ATI), 60GB 7200RPM drive, DVD-RW/DVD-RAM drive, and my 9-cell
    battery will power the system for more than 3.5 hours of normal use,
    and will allow me to watch a 2 hour DVD movie (in my last flight)
    leaving 20-25% battery after the movie ended. I've never run the
    battery low enough to see just how long I can go in "normal" use, but
    I have gone as long as 3.5 hours and still had at least 20% left.
    There are several ThinkPad T41, T42, and T43 systems at the office and
    they all perform about the same as mine.

    John L. <john@nospam.com> wrote:

    > I'm on the lookout for a quiet laptop, preferably Intel-based.

    I can give you two data points.

    1) At work, I have a Dell Latitude X300. Pentium M, well-made
    I'd say. The fan is almost always on but pretty quiet. I
    can't hear anything in my office environment. If I take it
    home, however, my work area there is very quiet and I hear
    the fan's low-pitch sound. Doesn't bother me much.

    2) At home I have an Averatec 3200something with a mobile Athlon.
    The fan is LOUD but: a) there is a calibration procedure in
    the BIOS that makes it to run slower afterward, and b) when
    the OS is configured right, it stays off most of the time. I
    use Linux so that means athcool, cpufreq and laptop-mode (to
    keep the drive spun down). Now Linux runs cooler than Windows
    --but there are thermal driver thingies for Windows on
    the Averatec website, I just never bothered to try them.

    Note: both of these are small laptops with 12-inch screens. My
    choice. I want the portability.

    > I've
    > heard about laptops where the fans don't come on unless you're gaming or
    > running something CPU-intensive - could anyone recommend such a laptop
    > from experience?

    That's what I have. Sometimes just rendering an over-graphic web
    page is enough to kick the fan into action, but it doesn't bother
    me as much as I thought it would. I think the continuous noises
    are the ones that get to you, not the intermittent ones.

    (And gaudy web pages don't trigger the fan if I let them load
    in a new tab and click the tab when they're done.)

    --
    pa at panix dot com

    My Thinkpad T42 is very quiet.

    bobb wrote:
    > I was hoping by now someone would have come up with real samples, not
    > generalities.
    >
    > I don't have samples either, and while I am fairly happy with my
    > notebook in the noise area, I am not going to recommend a 5 years old
    > model to you, and it's a Cely! (works for me).
    >
    > If I were on your shoes, and I don't get more precise answers, I'd
    > look for a notebook with a processor in its class which is labelled as
    > low power or low voltage. Go to the Intel website and verify indeed
    > this processor sux less power. Less power=less reason for fan to come
    > on.
    >
    > Now I won't be runing 3D, first-person gaming with this rig, and u
    > shouldn't expect to.

    After tons of research, I got a Dell. Specifically,
    an Inspirion or whatever 2200.

    It was rediculously cheap. It had a 725 M processor. My
    research indicates that mobile Intel processors that end
    in 0 (except for the 710) consume 27 watts and processors that
    end in 5 consume 21 watts. Also the 725 seems to have all the
    provisions for shutting down power draw when inactive. So, I
    hope it will be quiet. I think I did as good as I could
    in researching.

    Al wrote:
    > bobb wrote:
    >
    >> I was hoping by now someone would have come up with real samples, not
    >> generalities.
    >>
    >> I don't have samples either, and while I am fairly happy with my
    >> notebook in the noise area, I am not going to recommend a 5 years old
    >> model to you, and it's a Cely! (works for me).
    >>
    >> If I were on your shoes, and I don't get more precise answers, I'd
    >> look for a notebook with a processor in its class which is labelled as
    >> low power or low voltage. Go to the Intel website and verify indeed
    >> this processor sux less power. Less power=less reason for fan to come
    >> on.
    >>
    >> Now I won't be runing 3D, first-person gaming with this rig, and u
    >> shouldn't expect to.
    >>

    > After tons of research, I got a Dell. Specifically,
    > an Inspirion or whatever 2200.
    >
    > It was rediculously cheap. It had a 725 M processor. My
    > research indicates that mobile Intel processors that end
    > in 0 (except for the 710) consume 27 watts and processors that
    > end in 5 consume 21 watts. Also the 725 seems to have all the
    > provisions for shutting down power draw when inactive. So, I
    > hope it will be quiet. I think I did as good as I could
    > in researching.

    PS Here is the source

    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pm/sb/CS-007971.htm

    Al wrote:

    > bobb wrote:
    >
    >> I was hoping by now someone would have come up with real samples, not
    >> generalities.
    >>
    >> I don't have samples either, and while I am fairly happy with my
    >> notebook in the noise area, I am not going to recommend a 5 years old
    >> model to you, and it's a Cely! (works for me).
    >>
    >> If I were on your shoes, and I don't get more precise answers, I'd
    >> look for a notebook with a processor in its class which is labelled as
    >> low power or low voltage. Go to the Intel website and verify indeed
    >> this processor sux less power. Less power=less reason for fan to come
    >> on.
    >>
    >> Now I won't be runing 3D, first-person gaming with this rig, and u
    >> shouldn't expect to.
    >>

    > After tons of research, I got a Dell. Specifically,
    > an Inspirion or whatever 2200.
    >
    > It was rediculously cheap. It had a 725 M processor. My
    > research indicates that mobile Intel processors that end
    > in 0 (except for the 710) consume 27 watts and processors that
    > end in 5 consume 21 watts. Also the 725 seems to have all the
    > provisions for shutting down power draw when inactive. So, I
    > hope it will be quiet. I think I did as good as I could
    > in researching.
    Well, I guess that if we don't ... hear :) from you, we can assume your
    laptop really is silent and ... not dead.

    Good luck

    --
    John Doue

Laptops