Digital Camera decision almost made.....

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 21, 2005 10:45:54 AM

Thanks to all who provided their recommendations for a digital camera I'm
planning to get. After taking all comments and reading all reviews on the
net I have narrowed down my selections to the following based on features,
price, portability, etc. Here they are in no particular order. I will buy
the one that gets the fastest 3 approvals. Thanks.

1. Sony Cybershot DSC-P41 (4.1 megapixel) $229
2. Kodak CX-7330 (3.1 megapixel) $199
3. Hewlett Packard R607 (4.1 megapixel) $249
4. Canon A75 (3.2 megapixel) $229
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:51:53 PM

"Bud Light" <budlight@email.invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o b2dnQdtOb97XKPfRVn-pQ@rogers.com...
> Thanks to all who provided their recommendations for a digital camera I'm
> planning to get. After taking all comments and reading all reviews on the
> net I have narrowed down my selections to the following based on features,
> price, portability, etc. Here they are in no particular order. I will
> buy
> the one that gets the fastest 3 approvals. Thanks.
>

> 1. Sony Cybershot DSC-P41 (4.1 megapixel) $229
> 2. Kodak CX-7330 (3.1 megapixel) $199
> 3. Hewlett Packard R607 (4.1 megapixel) $249
> 4. Canon A75 (3.2 megapixel) $229

Hasn't the A75 been superceded by the A510 & A520. If you are getting an A75
be sure to look for a good deal better than $229 (unless those are Canadian
$).

I have an A60 an would strongly recommend the Canon Powershot series. I have
just processed some wedding photos nearly every one of my photos (mainly on
Auto) were impressive, and I am not a great at taking photos. In contrast
those on my sisters DSC-P32 are extremely disappointing. There are one or
several very nice ones but most are blurred or required a deal of adjustment
to make worth printing.

I do know of people who claim to get on better with their Sony but I don't
know anyone who wasn't impressed with their Canon. You'd probably have to
have some fairly unrealistic expectations.

Don't know the HP or Kodak, those names do not appear on my own brand list
for camera. Just had a look at
http://www.steves-digicams.com/ conclusions and I would suggest that most
people would find the propriety battery and poor viewfinder a pain no matter
how good the image quality.

HATH.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:14:31 PM

"Bud Light" <budlight@email.invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o b2dnQdtOb97XKPfRVn-pQ@rogers.com...
> Thanks to all who provided their recommendations for a digital camera I'm
> planning to get. After taking all comments and reading all reviews on the
> net I have narrowed down my selections to the following based on features,
> price, portability, etc. Here they are in no particular order. I will
buy
> the one that gets the fastest 3 approvals. Thanks.
>
> 1. Sony Cybershot DSC-P41 (4.1 megapixel) $229
> 2. Kodak CX-7330 (3.1 megapixel) $199
> 3. Hewlett Packard R607 (4.1 megapixel) $249
> 4. Canon A75 (3.2 megapixel) $229

Eliminate the R607, no AF assist lamp.
Eliminate the CX-7330, no AF assist lamp.

The other two are okay, but you can get the A85 for $218 from onecall.com .
The A75 has been seen dor $150, but I think not any more.

I'd get the Canon, due to the Compact Flash, and expandability. It's a much
better choice than the Sony DSC-P41, which is very low end.

Do NOT buy anything without an AF assist lamp. I'm glad to see Sony adding
this crucial feature to their low end models, as Canon has been doing for
years.

Steve
http://digitalcamerashortlist.com
March 21, 2005 7:22:00 PM

"Bud Light" <budlight@email.invalid.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all who provided their recommendations for a digital camera I'm
> planning to get. After taking all comments and reading all reviews on the
> net I have narrowed down my selections to the following based on features,
> price, portability, etc. Here they are in no particular order. I will
buy
> the one that gets the fastest 3 approvals. Thanks.
>

> 1. Sony Cybershot DSC-P41 (4.1 megapixel) $229
> 2. Kodak CX-7330 (3.1 megapixel) $199
> 3. Hewlett Packard R607 (4.1 megapixel) $249
> 4. Canon A75 (3.2 megapixel) $229

You might also look at the Canon Powershot S410, $228 at Buydig.com.

It meets your pricing, and it has the advantage of the Li-Ion rechargeable
battery, versus the pain-in-the-ass AA cells and charger which you'll have
to buy.

My kids have an A60, and while it's fine, it's a real pain to deal with the
AA batteries. They don't last as long, and you're always fumbling trying to
swap AA cells. If you go with AA cells, buy two sets, different brands, so
you can keep them straight (or label the sets with a Sharpie).
March 21, 2005 8:00:40 PM

I agree about the AF lamp. I find that it can delay shutter firing just
enough to help you miss the shot you want to get in some situations.
I've turned mine off and have yet to miss a shot.

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>
>> "Bud Light" <budlight@email.invalid.com> wrote in message
>> news:o b2dnQdtOb97XKPfRVn-pQ@rogers.com...
>>
>>> Thanks to all who provided their recommendations for a digital camera
>>> I'm
>>> planning to get. After taking all comments and reading all reviews
>>> on the
>>> net I have narrowed down my selections to the following based on
>>> features,
>>> price, portability, etc. Here they are in no particular order. I will
>>

>> buy
>>
>>> the one that gets the fastest 3 approvals. Thanks.
>>>
>>> 1. Sony Cybershot DSC-P41 (4.1 megapixel) $229
>>> 2. Kodak CX-7330 (3.1 megapixel) $199
>>> 3. Hewlett Packard R607 (4.1 megapixel) $249
>>> 4. Canon A75 (3.2 megapixel) $229
>>

>> Eliminate the R607, no AF assist lamp.
>> Eliminate the CX-7330, no AF assist lamp.
>>
>> The other two are okay, but you can get the A85 for $218 from
>> onecall.com .
>> The A75 has been seen dor $150, but I think not any more.
>>
>> I'd get the Canon, due to the Compact Flash, and expandability. It's a
>> much
>> better choice than the Sony DSC-P41, which is very low end.
>>
>> Do NOT buy anything without an AF assist lamp. I'm glad to see Sony
>> adding
>> this crucial feature to their low end models, as Canon has been doing for
>> years.
>>
>> Steve
>> http://digitalcamerashortlist.com
>>

> I have never felt the need for an AF assist lamp, perhaps because I
> rarely take pictures in very poor light. If you do, that might be an
> important factor, but I suspect most people would consider it less than
> important.

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 9:29:31 PM

I would suggest that you read the blurb regarding the AF-illuminator
over at
"http://dcresource.com/faq/faq.html" entitled: "What is an autofocus
illuminator, and why do I want one?"

You can always turn it off when outside, but it is invaluable for
indoor shots.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 7:51:18 PM

Hi Bud,

You can guess my vote. I like the CX7330 and the EasyShare options.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Bud Light" <budlight@email.invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o b2dnQdtOb97XKPfRVn-pQ@rogers.com...
> Thanks to all who provided their recommendations for a digital camera I'm
> planning to get. After taking all comments and reading all reviews on the
> net I have narrowed down my selections to the following based on features,
> price, portability, etc. Here they are in no particular order. I will
buy
> the one that gets the fastest 3 approvals. Thanks.
>

> 1. Sony Cybershot DSC-P41 (4.1 megapixel) $229
> 2. Kodak CX-7330 (3.1 megapixel) $199
> 3. Hewlett Packard R607 (4.1 megapixel) $249
> 4. Canon A75 (3.2 megapixel) $229

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 8:17:46 PM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:45:54 -0500, "Bud Light"
<budlight@email.invalid.com> wrote:

>Thanks to all who provided their recommendations for a digital camera I'm
>planning to get. After taking all comments and reading all reviews on the
>net I have narrowed down my selections to the following based on features,
>price, portability, etc. Here they are in no particular order. I will buy
>the one that gets the fastest 3 approvals. Thanks.
>

>1. Sony Cybershot DSC-P41 (4.1 megapixel) $229
>2. Kodak CX-7330 (3.1 megapixel) $199
>3. Hewlett Packard R607 (4.1 megapixel) $249
>4. Canon A75 (3.2 megapixel) $229

Bug Light,
I don't know what your intended usage & price constraints
are with regard to your above listed finalists to choose from,
however; you may want to also consider the A95.

It's a 5MP camera for $299.00 US (at B&H), & it's a nice
camera especially at that price. For the record I own the following
Canon A series cameras A40, A60, A70, A95 & enjoy, use & remain very
pleased with each, though each now has specialized uses.

If the difference to you is $50.00 US more than the H.P. R607,
it might be worth your consideration due to some of it's somewhat
unique features such as a swivel LCD screen, a users programmable
Custom mode & a ton of user customizable manual & semi-manual options.
Sorry to add another camera for you to consider but I thought this was
well worth suggesting. Check it out in the reviews & compare it with
the others, hopefully you may find it worth the effort.

Just my 2 cents worth, also I am far from an expert
photographer but it's I considerable hobby of mine & I have learned a
lot over the years. A little over 1 year ago I added a DSLR to my
toolbox & am still learning how best to get the most out of it in
spite of 25+ years of film SLR photography & considerable training.

A nice P&S digital cameras like my A95 will always have use
for me even if I owned the best DSLR (& I don't), because there are
many times that you simply want to travel light but still be able to
capture some great photographic reminders of good memorizes to
treasure years from now.

Best of luck with any selection you make. Thanks to
competition, there are many quality camera's to choose from & just
like automobiles, each has it good points & can serve you well if you
take the time to learn it's individual strong & weak points & from
that, how to make the most of what you have.

Respectfully, DHB

PS, I for 1 like cameras that use "AA" batteries & CF memory.
Especially the memory, because I can share memory cards with all of my
cameras, including my DSLR. This may not be an issue or concern for
you but it may be something to consider with regard to future cameras.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
!