Intel Core i7 2600k Power Supply Help

jamieyates14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hi,
I have been looking at the Intel Core i7 2600k for my new PC Build and I'm trying to keep the build cheap, so I'm taking as much as possible from my old PC. I'm gonna take the DVD Drive and the power Supply, so does anyone know much power the processor uses? And the power unit thing is 230V.
Also if the processor needs less than 230V am I still able to use the same power supply? Or do I have to buy one that fits it exactly?

P.S If someone thinks I am spamming or something I am not, I just posted it in the wrong place before, but I chose to move it to here.

Max TDP on that CPU is 95w. What are you doing with the machine? If you are gaming, you might get 2 FPS more with a 2600k over a 2500k. If you are video editing, grab the 2600k. When trying to go cheap, grab the 2500k. What is the PSU? Link please or name. What is the rest of yoou stystem? GPU, board, memory, HDDs? etc.

jamieyates14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

It will be used for most things really. Games, editing, multimedia etc. The power supply off my old PC says it's a Bestec ATX-250-12Z-REV.:C
I have no idea what any of that means and do you mean specs off my old PC or the one I am going to build?
Also I'm a newbie at this power stuff, I know practically nothing about it.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
take the power supply you have and chuck it off a bridge,preferably into a river.

NEVER cheap out on a power supply,it IS the most important piece in any system build,and always use way more wattage than needed,use only good name brand psu's,antec,corsair,silverstone.....

my personal idea is ,if a system requires..say..500W...and u buy a 600,that psu will always be running at say 80-90%,causing more heat and less room for expansion.
but if you buy say a 850W,less heat generated and room for expansion later.

I pesonally have not used less than a 1000W psu for the last 4 years,currently i have a AX1200W,it never even gets warm.has loads of room for expansion.

giving us the complete specs of your planned build will help with the proper psu for your build!

Okay, for gaming, you will need a much better PSU. I would suggest at least 500w of cosair, XFX, seasonic, PC Power and Coolong, or antec. If you are going to CF or SLi, grab a 600w + depending on which cards.

This is a good one!

jamieyates14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I'm gonna use the built in graphics until I have enough money to get something like a 1GB AMD RADEON HD6770 or something similar.

jamieyates14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I think i may go with this one because its within my budget, thanks for the help.

jamieyates14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

That's good that it works for that graphics card. Would it be able to handle it if I had another graphics card. The same one I mean. So like 2 graphics cards? Would the Corsair 550w Be able to handle both?

A 650w would be better, but for CF hd6770s, it isn't going to pull much. But if you have the money, grab a 650w. If 750 is only 4 more pounds than a 650, grab that.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

exactly,but never understimate what you may need,going with what will just be enough is a mistake most people make,the PSU IS the most important part of any PC.
If a gpu dies,its just a gpu,memory same thing,but a screwey PSU can take out everything in a PC.I always spend at least 10% of the build on a psu alone,usually more.As I mentioned before,I havent run less than 1000W in almost 4 years.And it doesnt even break a sweat,

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

obviously you have no clue about proper build configurations,leave that to us that do,ty.I have been building custom gaming rigs for 10 years.