Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core i7 2600k Power Supply Help

Last response: in Components
November 4, 2011 7:41:40 PM

Hi,
I have been looking at the Intel Core i7 2600k for my new PC Build and I'm trying to keep the build cheap, so I'm taking as much as possible from my old PC. I'm gonna take the DVD Drive and the power Supply, so does anyone know much power the processor uses? And the power unit thing is 230V.
Also if the processor needs less than 230V am I still able to use the same power supply? Or do I have to buy one that fits it exactly?

P.S If someone thinks I am spamming or something I am not, I just posted it in the wrong place before, but I chose to move it to here.
a c 667 ) Power supply
a c 133 å Intel
November 4, 2011 8:40:37 PM

230 volts is the voltage input rating of the PSU it does not tell us the size which is measured in watts!
a b ) Power supply
November 4, 2011 8:42:16 PM

Max TDP on that CPU is 95w. What are you doing with the machine? If you are gaming, you might get 2 FPS more with a 2600k over a 2500k. If you are video editing, grab the 2600k. When trying to go cheap, grab the 2500k. What is the PSU? Link please or name. What is the rest of yoou stystem? GPU, board, memory, HDDs? etc.
Related resources
November 5, 2011 12:21:49 PM

HostileDonut said:
Max TDP on that CPU is 95w. What are you doing with the machine? If you are gaming, you might get 2 FPS more with a 2600k over a 2500k. If you are video editing, grab the 2600k. When trying to go cheap, grab the 2500k. What is the PSU? Link please or name. What is the rest of yoou stystem? GPU, board, memory, HDDs? etc.

It will be used for most things really. Games, editing, multimedia etc. The power supply off my old PC says it's a Bestec ATX-250-12Z-REV.:C
I have no idea what any of that means and do you mean specs off my old PC or the one I am going to build?
Also I'm a newbie at this power stuff, I know practically nothing about it.
a c 667 ) Power supply
a c 133 å Intel
November 5, 2011 2:42:52 PM

That is a Bestec 250watt PSU and I would not consider reusing it. If you give us your budget and what you plan to do with it there is plenty of people to help find parts for the build.
November 5, 2011 3:22:35 PM

take the power supply you have and chuck it off a bridge,preferably into a river.

NEVER cheap out on a power supply,it IS the most important piece in any system build,and always use way more wattage than needed,use only good name brand psu's,antec,corsair,silverstone.....

my personal idea is ,if a system requires..say..500W...and u buy a 600,that psu will always be running at say 80-90%,causing more heat and less room for expansion.
but if you buy say a 850W,less heat generated and room for expansion later.

I pesonally have not used less than a 1000W psu for the last 4 years,currently i have a AX1200W,it never even gets warm.has loads of room for expansion.

giving us the complete specs of your planned build will help with the proper psu for your build!
a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2011 12:03:41 AM

Okay, for gaming, you will need a much better PSU. I would suggest at least 500w of cosair, XFX, seasonic, PC Power and Coolong, or antec. If you are going to CF or SLi, grab a 600w + depending on which cards.
November 6, 2011 1:18:47 AM

What gpu are you getting?
November 6, 2011 9:26:36 AM

gnomio said:
What gpu are you getting?

I'm gonna use the built in graphics until I have enough money to get something like a 1GB AMD RADEON HD6770 or something similar.
a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2011 1:56:33 PM

For just a hd6770, a Corsair 550w would be great.
November 6, 2011 3:20:42 PM

HostileDonut said:

and if he decides to upgrade..then what?
November 6, 2011 7:00:17 PM

HostileDonut said:

That's good that it works for that graphics card. Would it be able to handle it if I had another graphics card. The same one I mean. So like 2 graphics cards? Would the Corsair 550w Be able to handle both?
November 6, 2011 7:02:48 PM

Earnie said:
and if he decides to upgrade..then what?

I will be upgrading, a lot.
a b ) Power supply
November 6, 2011 7:45:32 PM

Yeah, it should handle two no problem.
November 6, 2011 9:56:50 PM

go with the 650W at least.even the 750W for the few extra $,I believe it was only 4pounds or w/e extra.
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2011 1:08:29 AM

Earnie said:
go with the 650W at least.even the 750W for the few extra $,I believe it was only 4pounds or w/e extra.

A 650w would be better, but for CF hd6770s, it isn't going to pull much. But if you have the money, grab a 650w. If 750 is only 4 more pounds than a 650, grab that.
November 7, 2011 2:54:22 AM

HostileDonut said:
A 650w would be better, but for CF hd6770s, it isn't going to pull much. But if you have the money, grab a 650w. If 750 is only 4 more pounds than a 650, grab that.

exactly,but never understimate what you may need,going with what will just be enough is a mistake most people make,the PSU IS the most important part of any PC.
If a gpu dies,its just a gpu,memory same thing,but a screwey PSU can take out everything in a PC.I always spend at least 10% of the build on a psu alone,usually more.As I mentioned before,I havent run less than 1000W in almost 4 years.And it doesnt even break a sweat,
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2011 3:52:27 PM

Yes, but a 550w will easily handle his system. if a 650w is only a little more, grab that. but really, he won't need it.
November 7, 2011 4:36:01 PM

HostileDonut said:
Yes, but a 550w will easily handle his system. if a 650w is only a little more, grab that. but really, he won't need it.

obviously you have no clue about proper build configurations,leave that to us that do,ty.I have been building custom gaming rigs for 10 years.
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2011 5:03:48 PM

Earnie said:
obviously you have no clue about proper build configurations,leave that to us that do,ty.I have been building custom gaming rigs for 10 years.

haha, that is funny. I know all of that good stuff! Corsair makes great PSUs, so it isn't going to die if he is not overloading it. I honestly don't care about how long you have been building. 550w is enough for his system, so why waste money? That would be a bottleneck. He isn't using the all the power. I bet his system will pull 400w - 450w max. HE DOESN'T NEED A 650w UNLESS IT DOESN'T COST MUCH MORE!
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2011 5:05:04 PM

Earnie said:

You have no clue about building systems if you think he needs that high to run that system...... Unless he is hitting 5Ghz on his CPU and overclocking the heck out of his RAM and GPU.
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2011 5:08:17 PM

I just noticed the 650w is cheaper, so why are we arguing? Just grab that.
November 7, 2011 6:41:34 PM

HostileDonut said:
I just noticed the 650w is cheaper, so why are we arguing? Just grab that.

exactly!

you didnt read what i posted a few pages back,it has nothing to do with it is JUST enough to power a computer,it has to do with efficiency.

Again I'll repeat,if a system requires 450-500 watts under load and you purchase a 550W,it will be running at 80-90% all the time,thus the psu is producing more heat and more stress on the components,and no room for upgrading later.If It was say even a 650 or 750W it would run less load,less heat and less stress on the components of the psu and no room for expansion later,say he finds a wallet on the ground,no ID and a couple grand in it,it now becomes upgrade time!But now he needs a bigger psu..thats my point.never buy "just enough"always over build with a good powerfull psu,Thats why I never build a gaming rig with less than a 750W psu.

I dont mean to be rude,but there is a method to my madness.
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2011 6:45:56 PM

Earnie said:
exactly!

you didnt read what i posted a few pages back,it has nothing to do with it is JUST enough to power a computer,it has to do with efficiency.

Again I'll repeat,if a system requires 450-500 watts under load and you purchase a 550W,it will be running at 80-90% all the time,thus the psu is producing more heat and more stress on the components,and no room for upgrading later.If It was say even a 650 or 750W it would run less load,less heat and less stress on the components of the psu and no room for expansion later,say he finds a wallet on the ground,no ID and a couple grand in it,it now becomes upgrade time!But now he needs a bigger psu..thats my point.never buy "just enough"always over build with a good powerfull psu,Thats why I never build a gaming rig with less than a 750W psu.

I dont mean to be rude,but there is a method to my madness.

No, his sytem will pull 450w max with TWO cards. He can even upgrade further more from there. And it would only be using that much when he games.
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2011 6:49:22 PM

I was just trying to tell him which would work for upgrading on his budget. Yes, the 650w would be better, and I see that it is cheaper too, so I think he should just grab that and call it good.
November 7, 2011 6:53:02 PM

HostileDonut said:
I was just trying to tell him which would work for upgrading on his budget. Yes, the 650w would be better, and I see that it is cheaper too, so I think he should just grab that and call it good.

hopefully he did get it!
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2011 6:59:25 PM

Earnie said:
hopefully he did get it!

Yeah, I hope it works for him well. I do wonder why they priced the 650w lower than the 550w. They are both Cosiar. I could understand if they were different brands and the 650w was a bad brand, but they are both corsair. Better snatch it before they change it!
November 7, 2011 8:52:58 PM

Thanks again for the help, I will be getting this one now because it everyone has said it has been good on here and a good one to buy. :D 
!