Upgrading Nvidia 220 to GTX 570, will power supply support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonzaboi

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Hi I am currently using an Nvidia gtx 220, its overclocked and fried, I play games like world of warcraft and want to play on high resolutions, I recently purchased the Msi Nvidia GTX 570 (Newegg.com - MSI N570GTX-M2D12D5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card), and I was told if my power supply can't handle the card my computer wont work, I have a dell manufactured Desktop and my Power supply is a 'Bestec ATX0350P5WA (Never heard of the company before).

The serial label reads as the following':
+5V / 18A
+12VA / 12A
+12VB / 18A
+3.3V / 17A
-12V / 0.8A
+5Vaux / 2A

3.3V & 5V 160W MAX
12VA & 12VB 300W MAX
Will this power supply be capable of running the GTX 570? if not, what do I need to buy/do in order to get it working, tyvm for any help or assistance you may provide.

Solution
Make sure that when you recieve the card that you upgrade the cards vbios to K11. The reason so is because the MSI m2d comes pre-overclocked improperly, (well some of them, not all) and you either have to download msi afterburner, and then up the voltage a little bit, or upgrade the K10 vbios to K11. You can do this by going to the MSI site and downloading Liveupdate5 which will download the bios upgrade program for you :) It's important that you do this because you'll get card freakouts and you'll blame it on your PSU, even though it's just because the card's undervolted :p Good luck buying a new PSU! I have the exact same card as you, (that's why i know about this terrible issue witht his version of the card) and i have an Extreme...

tjcoops

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
"Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 181W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 369W
Difference (GPU load) = 188W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 25W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 213 Watts"

^Thats from Guru 3D, as you can see the system uses 369 watts at full stress so you're definitely best off investing in a more powerful PSU as well as a decent quality brand one as well, a good quality 550 or 600 watt should do it :)

4745454b

Titan
Bestec, I've heard of them. Not a horrible company and normally found in OEM machines like yours. 213W for the GPU, probably another 100W or so for your CPU, and another 50W or so for your board and drives. 360W(ish) is what you need on your 12V rail(s). You have 300W, so the answer is no.

You'll need to get a 500W or better with at least 34A on it. If you can find a PSU that has 40A+ you should get that, assuming it's from a good company.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Make sure that when you recieve the card that you upgrade the cards vbios to K11. The reason so is because the MSI m2d comes pre-overclocked improperly, (well some of them, not all) and you either have to download msi afterburner, and then up the voltage a little bit, or upgrade the K10 vbios to K11. You can do this by going to the MSI site and downloading Liveupdate5 which will download the bios upgrade program for you :) It's important that you do this because you'll get card freakouts and you'll blame it on your PSU, even though it's just because the card's undervolted :p Good luck buying a new PSU! I have the exact same card as you, (that's why i know about this terrible issue witht his version of the card) and i have an Extreme power plus 600w power supply, and it runs this card perfectly! :) So when you buy a new power supply make sure it's at least 550w to be sure the 570 will run perfectly.
PS: If you end up buying an extreme power plus 600w, make sure to get the "silent" version, as it is much better quality!

Solution

bonzaboi

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

Could you email me 'BattlenetSafety@hotmail.com' with specific step by step instruction to do this? plz

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

I sure can! :) But i'm at school at the moment, so i can't email. But i'll post the steps on THIS thread when I get home, so that other people can see the resolution to our version of the 570 :)
PS: You'll need the help updating your vbios because Liveupdate5 is a little confusing :p But i'll post perfect instructions when i get home at 4. (It's 9:18 now)

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Haha, no problem. If you're lucky your card will come with the K11 update. (Liveupdate5 will post what version of the vbios you have anyway) Anyway, to my next class! I'll post the instructions at 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.