Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gaming PSU

Last response: in Components
November 4, 2011 7:55:41 PM

Hello,my name is Michael and my computer specs are as follows : i7-960 cpu, nvidia gtx 570 gpu, 4 GB DDR3 7200 memory, h60 liquid cooling cpu fan, gigabyte g1 Guerrilla x58 sata 6GB. And now, my question. "I have went through 2 XtremeGear 800 Watt Psu's, so will somebody please help me decide on one that will last me a good while?"

More about : gaming psu

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2011 8:34:18 PM

If you are not contemplating SLI, a 650W Corsair or Seasonic PSU is fine. An 850 will from the same vendors will support 2x570W. If those brands are not available to you, come back with a list of brands that are and we'll look for a specific model that reviews OK.

570 Power Requirement, whole system, from the wall:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/306
Score
Related resources
a c 1167 ) Power supply
a c 107 à CPUs
November 4, 2011 9:33:48 PM

The following power supply units will handle a system using two GeForce GTX 570 in 2-way SLI mode:

CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W Power Supply $169.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W High Performance Power Supply $134.99

XFX PRO850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80 Plus Silver Certified 850 Watt Power Supply $154.99

XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W Power Supply $119.99

The CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) is made by CWT. The remaining three are made by Seasonic.
Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
a c 120 à CPUs
November 5, 2011 1:02:12 AM

What country do you shop in?
Score
November 5, 2011 3:27:15 PM

davcon said:
What country do you shop in?

I shop in the United State. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated
Score
November 5, 2011 3:28:13 PM

Doctor_Den said:
"http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupp..."

This one came to me highly recommended as a good power supply. Mine came with a five year warranty.

Thank you for your response, this is definitely one I am contemplating. Trying to get the best bang for the buck :D 
Score
November 5, 2011 3:30:45 PM

Twoboxer said:
If you are not contemplating SLI, a 650W Corsair or Seasonic PSU is fine. An 850 will from the same vendors will support 2x570W. If those brands are not available to you, come back with a list of brands that are and we'll look for a specific model that reviews OK.

570 Power Requirement, whole system, from the wall:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/306

Would a 650W psu really be sufficient? The only reason I ask is because the 800W xtreme gear psu I have had (both of them lol) seem to get hot very very quickly, as if they can not handle the power request. I do not plan on SLI as of right now, but would definitely consider it as my GPU becomes uncapable within the future.
Score
a c 1167 ) Power supply
a c 107 à CPUs
November 5, 2011 3:38:38 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 570 graphics card a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI-E Supplementary Power Connectors is recommended.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 570 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode a minimum of a 800 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 56 Amps or greater and with at least four 6-pin PCI-E Supplementary Power Connectors is recommended.

It is the power supply's minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating specification that is the most important, not the power supply's wattage.
Score
November 5, 2011 3:51:54 PM

ko888 said:
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 570 graphics card a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI-E Supplementary Power Connectors is recommended.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 570 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode a minimum of a 800 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 56 Amps or greater and with at least four 6-pin PCI-E Supplementary Power Connectors is recommended.

It is the power supply's minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating specification that is the most important, not the power supply's wattage.

I see I see, I am going to do more research on this right now actually. I actually came across this deal a few minutes ago,

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

, what is your opinion on this for a possible future of two geforce GTX 570 gpu's.

Also, silly question I know but would for example the said PSU be okay with just one GTX 570? or is the excess wattage and/or ampage not a good idea.

Again I thank you for your time and wisdom. It is greatly appreciated.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2011 4:10:23 PM

mpedzi03 said:
Would a 650W psu really be sufficient?
Absolutely, positively, 100% sufficient with reserves to handle degradation over time. That's why I linked the article.

mpedzi03 said:
The only reason I ask is because the 800W xtreme gear psu I have had (both of them lol) seem to get hot very very quickly, as if they can not handle the power request.
More than half of all the hardware issues resolved here are ddue to PSU failure. We do not fool around recommending PSUs.

Only Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic have developed reputations over time that allow recommendation because of the brand name. Antec is also quite good, though a couple of units don't make the grade. IOW, it doesn't matter what model you buy, you get the quality you paid for. Other brands are now emerging, but need time.

All other PSUs are recommended only when there is a favorable review for that specific model by a competent, qualified reviewer who examines and identifies the internal components and tortures the device. Your Xtremegear 800 does not qualify - in fact, exactly the opposite is true. Just google "Xtremegear 800 review"

mpedzi03 said:
I do not plan on SLI as of right now, but would definitely consider it as my GPU becomes uncapable within the future.
The 650W Corsair/Seasonic will work fine. Only buy the 850W if you want to preserve the SLI optionfor the next 3 years or so - to avoid having to buy another PSU.

Though having a spare is always a good idea lol.
Score

Best solution

a c 1167 ) Power supply
a c 107 à CPUs
November 5, 2011 4:26:21 PM

mpedzi03 said:
I see I see, I am going to do more research on this right now actually. I actually came across this deal a few minutes ago,

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

, what is your opinion on this for a possible future of two geforce GTX 570 gpu's.

Also, silly question I know but would for example the said PSU be okay with just one GTX 570? or is the excess wattage and/or ampage not a good idea.

Again I thank you for your time and wisdom. It is greatly appreciated.

The Thermaltake TR2 RX 850-Watt (W0319RU) Modular Power Supply is made by HEC/COMPUCASE. I would avoid that power supply at all cost.

Hardware Secrets did a review of the Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W version and it couldn't deliver its labeled wattage. When they attempted to draw 750 Watts from the power supply at 45°C it burned out after one minute. Its electrical ripple and noise level were way above the maximum allowed when pulling 80% (i.e. 600W and above) or more from that unit's labeled capacity.

High electrical noise and ripple will cause overloading of your components (especially electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard and video card(s)), which may cause your system to act erratically (e.g. crashes and random resets) and under extreme conditions it will even damage your components.

There is no such thing as excess wattage or amperage. The system will only draw the power that it needs from the power supply. The power supply is not delivering 100% of its labeled wattage all the time, only what is needed at any given time. If the system only needs 250 Watts from an 850 Watt power supply the remaining 600 Watts of capacity remains in reserve but is not being produced by the power supply until the system needs more and the power supply will then deliver only the extra amount of power from that reserve.

What is your power supply budget?

Look at the XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W Power Supply for $119.99 that I recommended above. It uses Seasonic as its OEM. It has good reviews done by the reputable review sites.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 5, 2011 5:01:43 PM

ko888 said:
The Thermaltake TR2 RX 850-Watt (W0319RU) Modular Power Supply is made by HEC/COMPUCASE. I would avoid that power supply at all cost.

Hardware Secrets did a review of the Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W version and it couldn't deliver its labeled wattage. When they attempted to draw 750 Watts from the power supply at 45°C it burned out after one minute. Its electrical ripple and noise level were way above the maximum allowed when pulling 80% (i.e. 600W and above) or more from that unit's labeled capacity.

High electrical noise and ripple will cause overloading of your components (especially electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard and video card(s)), which may cause your system to act erratically (e.g. crashes and random resets) and under extreme conditions it will even damage your components.

There is no such thing as excess wattage or amperage. The system will only draw the power that it needs from the power supply. The power supply is not delivering 100% of its labeled wattage all the time, only what is needed at any given time. If the system only needs 250 Watts from an 850 Watt power supply the remaining 600 Watts of capacity remains in reserve but is not being produced by the power supply until the system needs more and the power supply will then deliver only the extra amount of power from that reserve.

What is your power supply budget?

Look at the XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W Power Supply for $119.99 that I recommended above. It uses Seasonic as its OEM. It has good reviews done by the reputable review sites.

Alright so I am definitely going with either the XFX Pro for 154.99 or the XFX Core edition for 119.99. Now I am more than willing to spend the extra bucks if the Pro is much better. I see that one is only 80 plus bronze while the other is 80 plus silver, so I am assuming its a 'you get what you pay for ' ordeal. Now would you highly recommend getting the XFX for 154.99 over the Core edition? If so, please point out the differences so I can finally make a decision. I thank you for the time your taking to answer this, it is really helpful. Running to the bank right now to deposit some bills!

Score
November 5, 2011 5:07:45 PM

Twoboxer said:
Absolutely, positively, 100% sufficient with reserves to handle degradation over time. That's why I linked the article.

More than half of all the hardware issues resolved here are ddue to PSU failure. We do not fool around recommending PSUs.

Only Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic have developed reputations over time that allow recommendation because of the brand name. Antec is also quite good, though a couple of units don't make the grade. IOW, it doesn't matter what model you buy, you get the quality you paid for. Other brands are now emerging, but need time.

All other PSUs are recommended only when there is a favorable review for that specific model by a competent, qualified reviewer who examines and identifies the internal components and tortures the device. Your Xtremegear 800 does not qualify - in fact, exactly the opposite is true. Just google "Xtremegear 800 review"

The 650W Corsair/Seasonic will work fine. Only buy the 850W if you want to preserve the SLI optionfor the next 3 years or so - to avoid having to buy another PSU.

Though having a spare is always a good idea lol.

Interesting. I have learned more here today then I anticipated I would! I will be using this website regularly from now on. Just knowing that this "PC Killer" is sitting in my computer right now makes me cringe.

So I believe I have rested upon a winner. (I do not want to regret getting something smaller in case I do choose the SLI method within the next few years)
Please let me know your opinion on this guy right here:

Score
a c 274 ) Power supply
a c 120 à CPUs
November 5, 2011 5:11:46 PM

The difference is the XXX is slightly more efficient and has modular cables.
Makes for a tidier install.
Once you go modular you'll prefer it.
The Core Edition is cheaper at NCIX = free shipping
Score
a c 1167 ) Power supply
a c 107 à CPUs
November 5, 2011 5:14:37 PM

mpedzi03 said:
Interesting. I have learned more here today then I anticipated I would! I will be using this website regularly from now on. Just knowing that this "PC Killer" is sitting in my computer right now makes me cringe.

So I believe I have rested upon a winner. (I do not want to regret getting something smaller in case I do choose the SLI method within the next few years)
Please let me know your opinion on this guy right here:

The XFX PRO850W XXX Edition (P1-850B-NLG9) is the one I would opt for due to its modular cables. It makes for better cable management.

If you want to see the reputable reviews for that unit here are some links:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/808

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

http://hardocp.com/article/2009/12/10/xfx_black_edition...
Score
November 6, 2011 1:46:12 AM

Best answer selected by mpedzi03.
Score
!