zachattack50

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hello, I am planning on upgrading my CPU and GPU, and am worried about the compatibility of hardware. I am by no means a smart when it comes to these, so bare with me.

Current Rig:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
Mobo: ASUS M4A77TD (socket: amd3)
RAM: 2x 2G DDR3 SDRAM(4G)
PSU: 480 Watts(1 year old)

My planned upgrades
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 1GB

My main worries are wattage of PSU, and CPU cache. I have no knowledge about CPU cache's but I was warned about the difference between my CPU, L2, and my prospective one, L3. Thank you for any feedback!

zachattack50

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I bought my current computer pre-built and the PSU is pretty janky... There is very little info on the unit itself. There is only a few set of numbers on it. None clearly specify who built it or wattage. I only know the wattage because this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227241 is my computer and the PSU is designated as 480W.

This next statement is all under assumption:
However the only set of numbers that I would come up with anything on google is "PX-480RPF. I believe that the PX designates it as a Pixxo, and the 480 the wattage, but again that is just from comparing it to model numbers of the PSUs they sell at their site here : http://mypixxo.com/product/power_supply.html

zachattack50

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
My apologizes, I forgot to mention I am already over my small budget for the upgrade, and I'm extremely intent on the CPU and GPU I'v selected. If the the PSU is the only thing in question I was going to run my computer with the new components, and if I saw any random freezes & reboots occur... start search for a new PSU.

That is one way of doing it! Beware though that it might slowly start killing of components (or suddenly with a bang) and you should plan the PSU upgrade sooner than later!

the processor will work but you should consider the 955 if it's cheaper. The power supply, forget about the watts and tell us how many amps on the label under the 12v..... there may be 2 listings.
The video card should be okay too depending on the PS. As much as I'd tell you to upgrade it, if you have 30 amps I'd give it a shot.

zachattack50

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

There is no info on my PSU. I know it's strange.. but what can I say :( :(

zachattack50

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

I have no clue, there are a few unused cords but none look like a PCIe cords. If there are any, they are probably plugged in somewhere...

In your link from newegg there is a picture of the side of the PSU showing the ratings but to unclear to read zooming in, you should see them if you take the side panel off!

zachattack50

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

the right side of the case is closed off, and the left side of the case only shows 3 sides of the PSU and all that is visible. There are 3 stickers on the visible sides of my PSU. The first is an inch by half an inch and reads: the serial bar, under that "029120006138", under that "PX-480RPF", under that "LA09110060", and under that "Made in China". The other two are circle sticker each about 1 cm in diameter reading "QC OK RPFXN" and "HI-POT ATE QC OK 1". That is all the info on it besides the 115v under the power plug in the back.

Well in any case then it is maybe crappier than the one in the newegg link!

I wouldn't bother with the CPU and GPU upgrade if your going to use a junky PSU, there's really no point. Its like using a little 4 cylinder engine in a tractor trailer. If you try to upgrade high-end parts and use a junky PSU your going to stress the PSU beyond its limits its going to take a dump on you and when it does its going to take your high-end video card(s) and cpu with it. So instead of being out a 150-200 dollars your out probably close to or over 500 dollars when you have to replace the PSU, your high-end video card and your cpu.

zachattack50

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

So i took out the PSU and the info panel was on the blocked off side. Its a maxpower PX-480