U.S. N64 to European TV

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.misc,alt.games.video.nintendo-64 (More info?)

I brought a N64 from the US to Europe (Czech). It´s not working
though. I have the power convertor set for 220 to 110, but the N64
does not have a power LED so I can´t tell if it´s on or not. ALso had
to get adaptors to convert US F-connector (the little coax cable) to
Europe F-connector (the big coax - about the size of an RCA plug -
cable). Still nothing. One can choose either channel 3 or 4 on the
connector box, but neither seem to work.

So here are the questions:
- is there any way to verify power is on?
- is there some difference between the US connector boxes and
European?
- is there any was to convert coax to RCA plugs so I can just plug
into the RCA´s on the TV?

Any other info would be great help.

Thanks in advance.

Ben..
3 answers Last reply
More about european
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.misc,alt.games.video.nintendo-64 (More info?)

    Ben wrote:

    > I brought a N64 from the US to Europe (Czech). It´s not working
    > though. I have the power convertor set for 220 to 110, but the N64
    > does not have a power LED so I can´t tell if it´s on or not. ALso had
    > to get adaptors to convert US F-connector (the little coax cable) to
    > Europe F-connector (the big coax - about the size of an RCA plug -
    > cable). Still nothing. One can choose either channel 3 or 4 on the
    > connector box, but neither seem to work.
    >
    > So here are the questions:
    > - is there any way to verify power is on?
    > - is there some difference between the US connector boxes and
    > European?
    > - is there any was to convert coax to RCA plugs so I can just plug
    > into the RCA´s on the TV?
    >
    > Any other info would be great help.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Europe generally uses PAL, while North America uses NTSC; short answer
    is that NTSC doesn't output on PAL monitors and vice versa. You might be
    better off using a VGA adapter and just using a computer monitor if one
    is available (Gamecube VGA adapters should work fine; mine works with
    GC, N64 and even the SNES if you reset it).
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.misc,alt.games.video.nintendo-64 (More info?)

    Ahoj :)

    >I brought a N64 from the US to Europe (Czech). It´s not working
    >though. I have the power convertor set for 220 to 110, but the N64
    >does not have a power LED so I can´t tell if it´s on or not.

    You can use european nintendo64 220V power cable. You DONT need the
    power converter !!!! It works! (it's not a joke)

    A czy TY zjadasz swoje strupy?
    http://www.majkel.mds.pl
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.misc,alt.games.video.nintendo-64 (More info?)

    Ben wrote:
    > I brought a N64 from the US to Europe (Czech). It´s not working
    > though. I have the power convertor set for 220 to 110, but the N64
    > does not have a power LED so I can´t tell if it´s on or not. ALso had
    > to get adaptors to convert US F-connector (the little coax cable) to
    > Europe F-connector (the big coax - about the size of an RCA plug -
    > cable). Still nothing. One can choose either channel 3 or 4 on the
    > connector box, but neither seem to work.

    The N64 does in fact have a power LED - it's located in the middle of
    the front panel - see here for proof:
    http://www.miyamotoshrine.com/games/n64/console.shtml

    If the LED is not lit, it's likely that the problem is with the power
    connector. And unfortunately it is of course possible that the console
    is dead in the first place.

    Anyway, even if the problem would be with the TV signal, your PAL tv
    would still display something even if it could not interpret the NTSC
    signal correctly (the picture would probably be in black and white and
    scrolling up or down).

    And you have been testing the system with a game cartridge inserted,
    right? It's worth checking the cartridge connectors (on the console and
    the cartridge) as well.

    > - is there any way to verify power is on?

    Even if the power LED has been busted, the bottom of a powered console
    should probably feel a bit warmer after some time.

    > - is there some difference between the US connector boxes and
    > European?

    As Majkel already stated, you can use an European power supply unit with
    a US N64. This will naturally eliminate the need for an external
    electricity stepdown converter.

    > - is there any was to convert coax to RCA plugs so I can just plug
    > into the RCA´s on the TV?

    Not to my knowledge. To use the RCA plugs you need to have RCA plugs in
    the tv, or use an external tv signal switch box (used for plugging
    several VCR's, DVD players etc. into one tv) that has the appropriate plugs.

    (But I have a fuzzy recollection of having successfully connected the US
    coax cable into an European coax connector, but I'm not 100 % sure if
    connected them directly or used some adapter - sorry.)

    Hope you get your system working!

    Tuomas

Console Gaming Games Video Nintendo Video Games