Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dual Monitor Support for Work PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 3, 2011 1:30:19 PM

My work PC will never see any gaming (aside for the occasional hand of solitare :ange:  ) but I would like to a dual monitor setup on it. The PC only has a single d-sub connector for video so I'm thinking that adding an inexpensive video card would be the easiest solution.

The PC is a HP/Compaq dc5800. I'm not sure what the power supply is, but iirc from the last time I had it opened it is in the neighborhood of 250W. It does have an available PCIe port.
June 3, 2011 8:01:56 PM

Sounds like you just need a Splitter since your computer already has video card, or at least on board video. This is how my work computer is setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P516-001-Monitor-Split...

I guess the Tomshardware folks aren't in a answering question mood today, such a easy question with no responses.
m
0
l
June 6, 2011 1:51:25 PM

stricken said:
Sounds like you just need a Splitter since your computer already has video card, or at least on board video. This is how my work computer is setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P516-001-Monitor-Split...

I guess the Tomshardware folks aren't in a answering question mood today, such a easy question with no responses.


Wouldn't a splitter just duplicate what I have showing on one screen? My intention is to be able to have two seperate apps open, one on one screen, and one on the other.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 170 U Graphics card
June 6, 2011 2:07:11 PM

Lucid Moments said:
Wouldn't a splitter just duplicate what I have showing on one screen? My intention is to be able to have two seperate apps open, one on one screen, and one on the other.


Yes a splitter will just show you the same thing on both screens.

This will take care of your needs, and will fit both a tower and a small form factor PC. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
June 15, 2011 10:28:29 PM

Wow, I was searching on this exact issue, and found great info here. I have an entire office full of dc5800 microtowers, dc5800 small form factors, and dc6000 small form factors. The PC I'm interested in installing two monitors on is one of the dc5800 SFFs. Does anyone know if there are additional cables, or specific monitor requirements to make this setup work?

Also, how involved is the installation process? I've switched out disk drives before, but never a graphic card. From what I've heard, these basic HPs are fairly easy to work on, but I would like to be sure that this is within my skill set before I ask my boss to purchase the equipment.
m
0
l
a c 170 U Graphics card
June 16, 2011 1:41:38 PM

mjm6783 said:
Wow, I was searching on this exact issue, and found great info here. I have an entire office full of dc5800 microtowers, dc5800 small form factors, and dc6000 small form factors. The PC I'm interested in installing two monitors on is one of the dc5800 SFFs. Does anyone know if there are additional cables, or specific monitor requirements to make this setup work?

Also, how involved is the installation process? I've switched out disk drives before, but never a graphic card. From what I've heard, these basic HPs are fairly easy to work on, but I would like to be sure that this is within my skill set before I ask my boss to purchase the equipment.


You will need a second cable of-course for the second monitor. Any monitor with the right connection to match the cable or card will work. It's usually better to get an identical monitor, or at least one with the same size screen and resolution, as the first monitor.

To replace it, open the case, plug in the card, connect the monitors, turn on the computer. It should switch main video to the card. If not, plug in the onboard video, go into the BIOS and change main video in there.
m
0
l
June 22, 2011 11:58:12 PM

Best answer selected by Lucid Moments.
m
0
l
!