System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: DP35DP__
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1806MB used, 4329MB available
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

So basically I have 2GB ram and I want to add 4GB more to it. If I buy 4GB and just insert it into the available ram slots (2 used & 2 free) will it work or am I missing something? Also will I be able to replace the 2GB later on with 4GB? The ram is DDR2 @ 333.3 MHz.

Thanks in advance.

that about right. what you want to do is run crucial memory advisor it free. it read your system board and show you the speed of the ram in the first two slots. what you want to do is try and pick up ram that the same speed. after you install it boot from a bootable usb stick or cd that has memtest on it let it run for a bit if there no errors you should be fine. if there is a issue with memtest try running with just two new stick in. the if it passes add one old sticks in at a time.

with older system you want to use a match pair of ram in the ram banks. on that memory advisior if you click on all memory it show you all ram that can go into the unit. what you need is go back and read the max memory the mb can run with. if memory advisor was right...8g per intel web page info on your p35 mb. so the max ram would be two 4g ram dims or 4 2g ram dimms.
if you install over 4g of ram you need a 64bit os to use that amount of ram. 32 bit os stop at 3.2g. for the money on an older pc running ddr-2 4 gig will be fine. anything over 4g is over kill on a older system.

Raptor_Enforcer

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I have 64 bit OS as I mentioned in the details I gave you. Money is not an issue, what I want to know is that if I install a 4GB (pair of 2, 2GB rams) will it work with the older 2GB (pair of 2, 1GB rams) ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.