Cant Get CrossfireX to work?

jorro0121

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Hi

I just got my second power color hd 6850. I installed it, added the crossfire bridge but there is no tab in the ccc to enable crossfire.

Gpu-z recognises the second card but the bus interface is pci-e 2.0x16@x2 2.0 where as the first card says pci-e 2.0x 16 2.0, could this be my problem?

if anyone could help id be very thankful?

If you need anymore infomation about my computer just ask

Thanks

As I mentioned in the thread before you received your card, and Wolfram23 has mentioned, you must reinstall your drivers. Go to the control panel, go to Programs-> uninstall a programs. Click on the ATI catalyst install manager. Right click and choose change, then choose to uninstall.

Oh, I thought I'd mention, you shouldn't need to uninstall what you have, although it's not a bad idea. I've done this many times by just installing the drivers without removing them first. What you are missing currently, is a driver installed for your 2nd card. That gets fix once the drivers are installed.

Also that motherboard says it will do dual PCIe 16 lanes at 8x/8x OR 16x/1x. I don't know how it decides, but if after the driver reinstallation it's still at 16x/1x in GPUZ, you probably have to make a change in the BIOS. Refer to your user manual for that.

I didn't catch that, good call. I do not believe it'll work at anything less than x4.

Just to note, it says x2, and not x1. That could mean the card isn't fully seated, or the contact points are dirty. You may want to try reseating it if you can't find a bios option.

jorro0121

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
ok thanks for the help so far.

Iv reinstalled all the drivers but still nothing.

iv had a read through the manual and this is what iv found

"due to crossfireX limitations, PCIe x16_2 slot must run at x4 mode to set up a crossfireX configuration. The default setting is x2 mode. Set the above item to [4,0,0,0 x4 mode] when you want to set up a crossfire x configuratiion"

Could anyone explani this to me a bit clearer before i go messing with the bios settings.

Thanks

It saying that crossfire will not work unless the second PCIex16 slot is working at x4 or better. It currently is running at x2 (this could be due to seating issues). I'd advise trying to reseat the card, and perhaps blow some compressed air into the slot, and clean the contacts on the card.

jorro0121

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
OK iv got it working now. its seems all i had to do was enter the bios and set the two pci slots i was using to x4. i should really read the manual first next time.

Thanks for all the help i dont think i would have got there otherwise

jorro0121

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
well its increase my fps on shogun 2 from 32 to 62 so its doing the job. iv had a look on gpu-z its seems one is running on x4 and the other on x16 so i guess it evens out, unless im reading it wrong

Sorry, it appears I am wrong. Well, Amazon is wrong lol. I read in your Amazon link that it has 16x/4x and 8x/8x, but at the Asus website it only says 16x/4x

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_LE/

Interestingly, it also says that the PCIe 1x slots share the bandwidth of the second 16x slot so if you plug in any expansion cards like a sound card or network card, you might see a performance decrease.

jorro0121

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
well thanks for checking that out for me. im not planning on adding anything else so it should be ok.

thanks for all the help