Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is mSATA faster than SSD ?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 4, 2012 1:51:10 PM

I am thinking of buying the P8Z77-V Premium motherboard which have mSATA on it but I dont know is it fast enough . Im planning to install OS in it and I wonder which one is faster for OS ( SSD or mSATA ) so the question is Which one is more ideal choice to install OS in SSD or mSATA ?

P8Z77-V Premium : asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_PREMIUM/

P.S. English isn't my native language .

More about : msata faster ssd

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 2:01:18 PM

Depends on the SSD vs mSATA device, both can be very fast. Most folks opt for the mSATA as a Cache than a 'boot' drive, and unless the mSATA is on a bootbale SATA port it's use is minimized; in this case it's on an Intel port. A 32GB SSD Cache is very small.

For Intel RST I prefer a 64GB <or> best IMO is to have a dedicated 120GB or larger boot SSD on the Intel SATA3 port.
August 4, 2012 2:32:41 PM

Oh ok so mSATA for Cache and do you think 240GB of Corsair Force Series 3 is good for storing OS , a couple of games and apps ( Cinema 4D -- projects/save files will be on HDD ) ?
Score
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 2:45:35 PM

Better to have system SSD than any cache, just like jaquith^ posted.
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 2:54:14 PM

Rangenade said:
Oh ok so mSATA for Cache and do you think 240GB of Corsair Force Series 3 is good for storing OS , a couple of games and apps ( Cinema 4D -- projects/save files will be on HDD ) ?

Yes, but then keep in mind you have a mSATA just sitting there, and I believe you can cache any Storage volume (boot or storage drive(s); drives in RAID) with Intel SRT; there's a pop-up that allows you to select the drive to cache.

Most of my home PC's are SSD (OS, Apps & working data) and HDD in RAID 1 (Data storage).
Score
August 4, 2012 2:59:32 PM

Best answer selected by Rangenade.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 3:01:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!