Closed Solved

Is mSATA faster than SSD ?

I am thinking of buying the P8Z77-V Premium motherboard which have mSATA on it but I dont know is it fast enough . Im planning to install OS in it and I wonder which one is faster for OS ( SSD or mSATA ) so the question is Which one is more ideal choice to install OS in SSD or mSATA ?

P8Z77-V Premium : asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_PREMIUM/

P.S. English isn't my native language .
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about msata faster
  1. Best answer
    Depends on the SSD vs mSATA device, both can be very fast. Most folks opt for the mSATA as a Cache than a 'boot' drive, and unless the mSATA is on a bootbale SATA port it's use is minimized; in this case it's on an Intel port. A 32GB SSD Cache is very small.

For Intel RST I prefer a 64GB <or> best IMO is to have a dedicated 120GB or larger boot SSD on the Intel SATA3 port.
  2. Oh ok so mSATA for Cache and do you think 240GB of Corsair Force Series 3 is good for storing OS , a couple of games and apps ( Cinema 4D -- projects/save files will be on HDD ) ?
  3. Better to have system SSD than any cache, just like jaquith^ posted.
  4. Rangenade said:
    Oh ok so mSATA for Cache and do you think 240GB of Corsair Force Series 3 is good for storing OS , a couple of games and apps ( Cinema 4D -- projects/save files will be on HDD ) ?

Yes, but then keep in mind you have a mSATA just sitting there, and I believe you can cache any Storage volume (boot or storage drive(s); drives in RAID) with Intel SRT; there's a pop-up that allows you to select the drive to cache.

Most of my home PC's are SSD (OS, Apps & working data) and HDD in RAID 1 (Data storage).
  5. Best answer selected by Rangenade.
  6. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus SSD Motherboards