Titanium X-Fi Fatality bizzare driver issues Win7x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0redstiff

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hello,

The problem has been discussed here but in limited detail. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268165-28-titanium-recognized-windows-creative-control-panel

The thread was closed however, the patch did not solve my problem. I have uninstalled and re installed drivers from CD to the latest official drivers to the beta drivers and apps. I still have the same problem. The Creative apps, (Control Panel, Console Launcher, Diagnostics, Speaker Config) tell me there is not a card which it supports. Then a drop down menu comes up and sure enough there is the X-Fi listed.

What is the fix? Why was the other thread closed?

Thanks

This is exactly why most of us gave up on the X64 version of XP. The problem is that the OS came along a little too late in the game, in other words by the time XP64 was being used, Vista was already out and software devs were already doing driver support for that OS. So most developers decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to build drivers for Xp64.
I always had a problem with finding apps for CD burning. XP64 just doesn't have support for that.
The main problem was that XP64 had very little to do with Win XP, it was actually built using a server kernel. Server operating systems aren't concerned with audio and video drivers, this is even true for Windows Home Server. Audio and video just aren't supported because people don't use servers for gaming. They typically use a low power system with integrated graphics and sound so usually a generic driver is suitable for their needs.

I highly recommend getting out of that OS for these reasons. There may be some possible workarounds but I find messing with the registry an unpleasant and somewhat frightening experience.

Here is the best XP64 website I have found, they provide some excellent links and articles on the particular challenges of that OS:
http://www.start64.com/

b0redstiff

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Here is a fix I found that worked.
Although some of these steps may not be needed, this is exactly what I did.

I installed
Daniels Support Pack 2.5
http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/SB-X-Fi-series-Support-Pack-2-5-10-25-2011/m-p/587995

Rebooted
Same problem
Installed Drive Sweeper and rebooted into Safe Mode.
Cleaned Creative drivers
Rebooted into Regular Mode.
SB XFI showed up in device manager with out drivers.
Removed device refreshed.
Rebooted
Still failed.
Installed Daniels 2.5 pack again
Working

It may well have been but did you look at the date the thread was started? It was 10-12-2009 at 07:24:40 PM just in case you were wondering.

b0redstiff

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Yes. I wasn't complaining that the thread was closed. I was wondering if it was closed because there was some other fix everybody stumbled upon. I am just glad it is working but slightly amazed that creative released drivers that are so jenky in this day and age.

b0redstiff

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I don't know if anyone else is having these problems still but I stumbled onto something.
Today, the error message came back when trying to launch the creative apps. The only think I did since it was working was disable the speaker output as I use SPDIF. I re-enabled the speakers an set them as "Default Communication Device" the apps started working. I was able to duplicate the error again by disabling the speaker outs. So.. hopefully this helps somebody. Creative.. doesn't care

b0redstiff

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I should have read up before making the purchase. I never ran into problems with creatives drivers before. I assumed they were still the standard for sound cards. Boy, was I wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.