Memory upgrade question!

sasuki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Hi guys!

I have 2 x2GB kingMax 1600MHz CL9

Can I add 2 x 4 GB kingMax 1333MHz together with the smaller sticks for a total of 12GB?

btw on CPU-Z info shows my My current memory has NB Frequency 2005.4 Mhz

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

NB -> North Bridge -> Memory Controller

This is not the same as your memory frequency. It sounds like you have an AMD rig. If so, you likely are running your memory at 1333 (or with some possibility of 1600). If you add the 1333 kit to this mix, you will HAVE to run the memory sticks at 1333. No choice on that. Also, since you have 2 sticks per channel, the Command Rate will be automatically set to 2 instead of 1.

If none of that sounds like an issue for you, then I'd say it is safe to do so. Although if you have not purchased the memory yet, then maybe you can consider 1600 ram, since it is not much more $$$ and you can OC a bit later on with the flexibility of memory speeds.

sasuki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

Thank you for the reply, yes my rig is AMD

I found these

http://www.pcgarage.ro/memorii/kingmax/4gb-ddr3-1600mhz/

its 1600mhz but its 11CL and my current ones are 9CL

What do you think?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

They seem okay... You have to set the memory timings in the BIOS to match the set of stick with the highest timings, but this isn't guaranteed, just usually works. BUT, can you find any other sets ? Is Newegg or Amazon available in your country ?

sasuki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

Great!

so White-White Blue-Blue = 2gb-2gb 4gb-4gb?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Hmm, best check your Motherboard's manual. Some boards have colour labels as channel layout, others are the opposite for dual channel operation. Check in your motherboard manual first.

Also, if your 2GBx2 sticks are already in dual channel mode, you can just put the new ones in the empty slots and you should have 2+4GB per channel in dual channel mode.