Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$275 budget for a good gaming motherboard.

Last response: in Motherboards
August 4, 2012 2:36:57 PM

Hi. I'm looking for a high-quality motherboard that will last long for this setup:

Processor: Intel Core i7 2700K

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3

Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Power Supply: Corsair TX750 V2

Optical Drive: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer

Case: APEVIA X-TROOPER Series X-TRP-RD

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Monitor: ASUS VH236H - $145.00

Mice & Keyboard: Logitech Desktop MK120

I will be spending up to no more then $275.00 for a motherboard. I'm looking for a powerful. reliable and long lasting motherboard that will get my money's worth. Thanks.
August 4, 2012 2:49:32 PM

If this system is primarily for gaming, and you haven't bought the rest of the components yet, you would get more longevity for your $$ if you went with an I5-3570K and 8Gb ram, and a good $150ish MOBO, and used the savings toward a GTX670/HD7970 and/or SSD.
Related resources
August 4, 2012 3:12:48 PM

I agree with ed the guy. You have a high end cpu and last year decent gpu on the list. Last years high end now is the middle-high. For a gaming rig, you should focus more on the gpu then the cpu. lower the i7 down to an i5 and use the cash to upgrade the gpu to something thats high end this year. The i7 might crunch lots of numbers but its not going to help you game anymore then an i5. the only reason to upgrade from an i5 would be for programs your using that actually use it (modeling programs and such). the i5 is about $100 cheaper then the i7 and you probably wont even notice the different because i5's are pretty fast. use that $100 plus 60ish dollars from your mobo fund plus your gpu fund from the 560 toward an awesome gpu (geforce 670m would be my vote, my friends flies loops around my 650m which is actually better then your 560 in benchmarks. thats just my opinion for the gaming rig at least. i know i didnt suggest a mobo, but had to say something before you buy and make a mistake.
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 3:27:31 PM

storm slider said:
Eh, thanks for the reply. I'm more open to more suggestions. Are ASUS Mobo's decent quality?

ASUS mobos are very good in quality. Probably top-tier. There was an interview here on Tom's a while back with the Intel engineers (for motherboard) commenting that their competition "in this market" is ASUS (listed first), Gigabyte, MSI.

I take that as a hint that ASUS quality is high. HOWEVER, there are a lot of people complaining of ASUS RMA services. That has got a lot of people saying that ASUS is reliable, until it breaks, then good luck with RMA.

Having said that, these are some Intel boards if you want to try them. Some people will only recommend Intel for reliability.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

August 4, 2012 4:57:10 PM

ilikemoneygreen said:
I agree with ed the guy. You have a high end cpu and last year decent gpu on the list. Last years high end now is the middle-high. For a gaming rig, you should focus more on the gpu then the cpu. lower the i7 down to an i5 and use the cash to upgrade the gpu to something thats high end this year. The i7 might crunch lots of numbers but its not going to help you game anymore then an i5. the only reason to upgrade from an i5 would be for programs your using that actually use it (modeling programs and such). the i5 is about $100 cheaper then the i7 and you probably wont even notice the different because i5's are pretty fast. use that $100 plus 60ish dollars from your mobo fund plus your gpu fund from the 560 toward an awesome gpu (geforce 670m would be my vote, my friends flies loops around my 650m which is actually better then your 560 in benchmarks. thats just my opinion for the gaming rig at least. i know i didnt suggest a mobo, but had to say something before you buy and make a mistake.

I'm also going to be doing rendering in the future.
August 4, 2012 4:57:18 PM

Maxx_Power said:
ASUS mobos are very good in quality. Probably top-tier. There was an interview here on Tom's a while back with the Intel engineers (for motherboard) commenting that their competition "in this market" is ASUS (listed first), Gigabyte, MSI.

I take that as a hint that ASUS quality is high. HOWEVER, there are a lot of people complaining of ASUS RMA services. That has got a lot of people saying that ASUS is reliable, until it breaks, then good luck with RMA.

Having said that, these are some Intel boards if you want to try them. Some people will only recommend Intel for reliability.

There's no way I will ever be going to buy a Mobo by Intel. Anything else then a sabretooth? Maybe a little stronger? My budget is $275.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 6:52:50 PM

storm slider said:
There's no way I will ever be going to buy a Mobo by Intel. Anything else then a sabretooth? Maybe a little stronger? My budget is $275.

Fair enough. What do you mean by "stronger" ?

Motherboards are usually categorized by price, based on features. The sabretooth boards are full featured ATX boards + extra reliability (ASUS says this, and backs it with 5 years instead of 3 years of warranty on standard ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Intel, etc boards).

You wanted reliability right ? I don't know any boards with a longer warranty than the ASUS Sabretooth.
August 4, 2012 9:34:06 PM

Two of my Gigabyte ram slots just went out on me after 3 months, and sol on rma. Seriously consider getting a board with a good warranty.
August 4, 2012 10:27:00 PM

Best answer selected by Storm Slider.
August 4, 2012 10:28:23 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Fair enough. What do you mean by "stronger" ?

Motherboards are usually categorized by price, based on features. The sabretooth boards are full featured ATX boards + extra reliability (ASUS says this, and backs it with 5 years instead of 3 years of warranty on standard ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Intel, etc boards).

You wanted reliability right ? I don't know any boards with a longer warranty than the ASUS Sabretooth.

Thanks. I might be going with it. I am going to be purchasing a case with 5 Fans, and I want to use them all. The motherboard says: "4 x Optional Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)" does that mean 4 Fans can be connected to the mobo?
!