New budget build

guner7

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Hi there,

I've plan to build a budget system, and would like some input from you guys for some component that I haven't decide to use.

Mobo: Asus M4A77TD 
Memory: Kingston 2x2G DDR3-1333
Graphics: ATI 6670 DDR5
CPU cooler: Hyper 212+
PS: Cooler Master Extreme RS460

First, I live in Malaysia where the brand of kingston is the one that easiest to get (though I saw G.Skill memory were being used for the marathon build most of the time). Probably my location leave me no choice on which memory to use.

For CPU, I plan to get between Athlon2 x3 and Phenom x2 556BE, but not sure which will suit better for the whole.

On video part, I've been reading reviews that comment on Sapphire and MSI for 6670 and both of them seems quite reputable. Anyway, I still have question mark on this.

The power supply, as stated above, will it enough to feed for the entire build? I will probably fit one or two HDD, a sata DVD burner, and might go with a mid-overclocking on this rig. Gaming isn't the main purpose for this build, but I still like to play Darksider II in 2012... :D

And another question that bothered me in a long time, is there any compability issue when mix a different vendor of mobo (eg. using AMD chipset) with video (eg. using Nvdia chipset)?

I hope I didn't misplaced the punctuation, at most. :heink:
Look forward for any input and thanks for your time.

Solution
I would go with the Phenom II x2 and try to unlock the cores. If it didn't unlock, you are still left with a badass processor. I think stock heatsink should be fine unless you're really pushing the CPU. Kingstons RAM aren't bad at all. I have used Corsair and Kingstons and all of them worked out of the box. 460W is enough to power all of this haha. I think you can save money by dropping to a 380W such as Antec Earthwatts if that's available in your location.

guner7

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Thanks for you reply rolli but I think it would be out of my budget.
I need to keep this build with as minimum cash as I could, and in the same time it could be turn into mid-end machine with some overclocking.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I would go with the Phenom II x2 and try to unlock the cores. If it didn't unlock, you are still left with a badass processor. I think stock heatsink should be fine unless you're really pushing the CPU. Kingstons RAM aren't bad at all. I have used Corsair and Kingstons and all of them worked out of the box. 460W is enough to power all of this haha. I think you can save money by dropping to a 380W such as Antec Earthwatts if that's available in your location.

Solution

guner7

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Thanks for the input wintermint.

Actually there is a dealer selling C/M elite 430 combo with C/M 460W for only $82 USD. That's the reason I'm going to get this. ;)
For processor, I do hear about people said A2 x3 wasn't really fall behind of P2 x2 in term of performance. Plus you could still have 3 cores if fail to unlock the 4th core on A2, but only 2 cores will left available for you if you get P2 fail to unlock. I wonder how truuueee this statement really is.

One more thing is this rig will possible turn into HTPC in future, just not...really a HTPC, would use to watch HD movie and maybe some gaming on 42" LED TV. So again, which processor is the best to fit while saving some bucks into my ladybug money container. :sol: