mrreynus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Made my grandpa a build since he wants a new pc. I'm gonna use a mobo i already have and get him a new cpu since mine broke and in return he's going to buy me a mobo and I'm going to get myself a 2500k for my bday.(is this a good idea or should i keep the amd?)

anyway this is the build:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=20833347
mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435

I have a HDD from my old pc. It's like 80 gigs but he doesnt need more than that and it'll save him 50 bucks.

For myself I was thinking about getting this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131706

It's gotta be in the 140 range since that's how much my current mobo is worth.

Anyway... suggestions? Better mobo for me in that price range? Different ram? Is it all compatible? Keep the amd hexacore or get the 2500k for gaming?

mrreynus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
jlTbz4.PNG

To save some time.

mrreynus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
he has some top of the line camcorder and he wants to try his hand at video editing. I believe its the avchd format. I bought a pc from someone I know but they packed it poorly so the heatsink fell off and the cpu popped out and all the pins were bent or broken. So what's happening is since I am a gamer the 2500k should technically be better for me than the amd hexacore. So he is buying me a mobo for the 2500k and I'm giving him the mobo I have. Then he's going to buy the amd cpu and I'm getting the 2500k for myself. Basically it's a bit of a "greedy" trade off but he wants it and it ends up cheaper for him and more beneficial to me.

That's making more sense now.
But video editing is going to eat up space on that slow 80GB HDD FAST.
You definitely want to get him a higher performance HDD.
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM 3 Hard Drive $45

That Lancool gaming case is the place to cut back to a standard case to cover the cost of a fast HDD.
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Case $50 a/r and free shipping

The premium PSU is another place to save a bit. 500W is more than enough.
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PSU $60 after $15 rebate

mrreynus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
the psu has a promotion that gives it an additional 10 bucks off so it ends up being 10 dollars more expensive than the one you posted. As for the case I will definitely get it as I have an antec 902 myself so I know they're good. Any more suggestions?

Looks like the case change will let you break even on the budget with the better HDD.
The $10 different in PSU price isn't much. Both are very good choices IMO.
And both are 'overkill' for a system that would be happy with a high quality 400W PSU.
That HD 6670 video card draws under 60W at peak.

You'd likely get identical gaming performance from each of those sets.

Until (or if) you started running a bunch of 'helper apps' and doing more than normal multi-tasking. Things like video chat with skype while gaming. That's when 8GB of RAM might start making a difference.