Cold booting issue

kevaneth

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Currently having a rather odd issue when i leave the computer off for a long time.

When i turn the computer on by the wall and then press power on the case the first time it doesn't work, however there will be a green light on the motherboard, nothing else will happen however. But, if i then turn the power off at the wall and wait for the green light to go then turn on the power from the wall and press the power switch on the case the computer will boot up but force me to go into the bios which will have reset the settings.

Any things i should try?

Case: Haf 932
MB: Asus p8p67 b3 rev 3.0
Graphics card: Sapphire 6970
Ram: G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X for Intel Sandybridge Platforms DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X for Intel Sandybridge Platforms DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit
HDD: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX Professional Series 850W Power Supply
CPU: Core i5 2500k

Already tried updating bios, that has not helped however, still same issue.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Do you have any self powered USB devices plugged into the system? If so try removing it or them and see if the problem resolves. Self powered USB devices can sometimes upset the power down power up function on the PC.

kevaneth

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Nope, the only self powered usb device would've been the printer, so i switched the computer off unplugged the printer waited 30 minutes, but the same issue occurred.

Check that the CMOS battery is OK, if OK try resetting the CMOS memory by using the clear CMOS jumper link with the mains power cord DISCONECTED. Unintentional overclocking is a common cause of this sort of behaviour. Also try another power supply substitution of the power supply is the only test in this case.
If all of the above fails to rectify the problem then the probable cause is a faulty motherboard.

kevaneth

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
This is the message i get when i do turn the computer on:

AMIBIOS (C) 2010 AMERICAN MEGATRENDS, INC.

ASUS P8P67 ACPI BIOS REVISION 1850
CPU: INTEL(R)CORE(TM) i5-2500K CPU@3.3GHZ
SPEED: 3300MHZ
TOTAL MEMORY:8192MB (DDR3-1600)

USB DEVICES TOTAL 0 DRIVE, 1 KEYBOARD 1 MOUSE, 2HUBS.

DETECTED ATA/ATAPI DEVICES...
SATA PORT1:WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0

Please enter setup to revocer bios setting
Press F1 to run setup.

kevaneth

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

I had a look to reset the cmos and the switch isnt there at all, would this cause this issue, and in which case can finding a a replacement switch be done?

kevaneth

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
i found a replacement for the missing switch from an old motherboard that was lying around, did as pjmelect said and the issue seems to have gone!

Thanks!