Info Channeling Program Guide

Hi every1 my name is Arshad. I am currently studying MCITP and also part-time as a tech.
Let me begin by saying that i follow a lot of reviews coming from tom's and thanks to all the people gathering their knowledge and experiences here to inform people properly about the evolving world of it be it software and hardware.

Coming to what im looking for, so many info is channeled everyday and the amount of data is supa huge to encompass. And tbh i get lost 90% of the time and get confused when having to mix in the full details of all the stuffs like chipsets, GPU specs series that can be oveclocked, restrictions etc etc etc. I live in a small country where 99% of pc parts suppliers much ur purse with bullshit so ive decided to start a small campaign to inform people about components stuff how they commute and what are the best combos they should look for so they dnt get ripped off. People who are misinformed often tend to go "ya i need a pc anything goes" and regret it after a few days just because the place they bought it had no1 to tell them what would be best for them. Money making is 1 thing but doing it while ripping off people is a crime against evolution.

So looking around there are many infos, but im afraid i dnt know exactly what part will be easily understandable by the major community. Like P chipsets go better with what CPU and which GPU scales best with which chipset etc etc.

I dnt wana make it too complicated but simple and neat. With simple details like Bonuses "what u will need and use and what u won't", Improvements and differences "this CPU has Ht this doesnt" etc etc.

Sometimes there are people like me who are informed and i dnt find it pleasant when i walk into a shop and some1 tries to rip me off, i guess we all are so of you can help me it would be just awesome. Ill be off to my lectures and ill compile a comprehensive list of stuff that might need some clarifications :).

Thanks and cheers
4 answers Last reply
More about info channeling program guide
  1. List of stuff that would suit the list. Not too complex and interesting would be awesome.

Intel CPU's series and gains and restrictions e.g difference between i5 2500 and i5 2500k. if cpu's have HT is it needed or not etc simple details that make a difference.

AMD CPU series Phenom, FX, F1 etc AM2,AM2+,AM3

Intel Mobos chipsets, G-P-H-Z etc what cpus best with what chipset and what goes best with which intel processor.

AMD chipsets GX-FX-870-890 etc etc etc.

graphics GPU scale, Stream processors etc things to watchout when buying a graphic card cuz most of the time people only see the 512MB,1GB and 2GB stuff. :S

PSU wattage, current, rails etc.

Coolers - thermal pastes etc

Memory - frequency, dual triple channel, overclock support etc.

HDD sata, sata2,sata3 SSD etc transfer rates etc

if anything you find interesting to contribute please put it in it will be a huge help. :)
  2. i5-2500 & 2500k are identical except the k version has an unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking. the I7 are pretty much indentical to the I5 except that they are also Hyperthreading cpu's which allows the thread handler to fill in the empty processing spaces with other threads. This is why they show an extra 4 cores yet only give you about 5-10% real world performance boost (20% in some cases). HT is useful for people who really do things cpu intensive like render video. Its not really useful for gaming and probably wont be for 5 more years.

memory. Speed is usually only important to overclockers and they should know what they are doing so no need to go into it here, just match it with the supported speed & voltage of the motherboard. Going from 1600 DDR3 to 1866 would only show a difference in benchmarks, nothing you would notice while using the system.
    Dual vs triple vs quad channels - those are function of the mother, again use what your board supports.

PSU - I aim to be about at 60-70% load so this is largely dependant on the video card being used. For example a 5870 use about 150W under load, add in 150w for motherbd and peripherals puts it at 300W so a 430 -450w QUALITY power supply would do well. I stress the quality part. Add more power for lower quality PSU's, add even more for overclocking.
    The only current thats important really is the 12v. There needs to be enough to amps to feed the whole system. What you need to watch out for is often that 12v rating is combined with another rating and might not let you get full power from the 12v rail. for example you might see 12v rated at 30A (360w) combined with 5v rail at 30A (150w) for a combined max of 375w. Obviously you cant get 360W out of the 12v rail if you're using 75W on the 5v rail.
  3. thanks for the infos, getting clearer.
    Now about the chipset parts, ive read some stuff. Like i was checking mobos for intel P67,X58, Z68 etc, im still wondering whats the deal. Like i hear somewhere 1155 would go better with a Z68 mobo, that the cpu goes well with a P67 also, but still i dnt see what makes a Z68 better than a P67 especially when u will see P series prices higher that Z series.
    Same goes for AMD chipsets like GX, FX - 870 or 890 etc what are the gains, perks or goodies that come with the different chipset flavors.

Cuz u see people have no idea, they would go with a Phenom 2 x4 on a $10 cheaper 870 mobo, so what if i added the $10 on a 890 chipset what would i gain? Always lost.

Like me i have a the following:
    AMD phenom2 x6 1090T
    Asrock 890FX Deluxe4
    Kingston HyperX 16GB
    Antec Earthwatts 650W
    Sapphire HD6790
    Zalman CNPS7500-AlCu
    WD Caviar Green 500 + 2TB
    Thermaltake V3 Black

I have a 890 chipset but i coulve gone with a 870 for cheaper but i just felt that 890 for my CPU would do great. I know a few things but not so much as to tell some1 to go for a 890 when they will say no no i will get the 870 its cheaper.
  4. ok ok lol i think what i was looking for was vague. Ive just looked at CPU chart and its far too big to make people understand. xD my eyes hurt after a few seconds of analyzing.

keep the good stuff coming im starting to work on the sheets :)
Ask a new question

Read More