Requesting Assistance Regarding Micro ATX AMD Budget System

ColonelPanic_1889

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Dear Sirs,

I am betwixt vexation and consternation whilst assembling my newest electro-communications and program foundry device. My goal is to be able to create custom Free Open Source Software (FOSS), mobile applications for wireless telephony and the development of sites of interest on the World Wide Web. Taking this knowledge into account, I submit the following tentative configuration:

Case:
Thermaltake ARMOR A30 VM70001W2Z Black SECC MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case $119.00
(My goal in acquiring this device is to ensure a quality build for many years to come. For, as we are all-too-aware, technology changes as often as it bloody well pleases.)

Mobo & CPU ($15.00 off Combination Deal): $129.98

Combo Deal
(My reasoning for the acquisition of these particular items follows the line of logic wherein the wonders of our age become the treasures of antiquity. Thus, by knowingly purchasing lower-costing and powered equipment, I prevent my contraption from becoming an expensive relic of a byegone age. Furthermore, I shall be eagerly awaiting the arrival of AMD's latest generation processors and Micro ATX motherboards for use in this configuration. )

PSU:
Diablotek DA Series PSDA300 300W ATX12V v2.31 Power Supply $12.99
(I am not entirely satisfied with the knowledge that this is the right electrical device for the tasks at hand. I would gladly appreciate advice on this matter)

HDD: $59.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD7500AALX 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK $35.99

IEE 802.11 USB WiFi: $9.99
Rosewill RNX-N150UBE USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter

Debian GNU/Linux

GRAND TOTAL: ~$367.94

Such is the current state of my build; I welcome any and all comments

Sincerely,

Colonel Sir Mackenzie Panic, IDE

Hello ColonelP;

No matter the reason ... spending $120 for the case and $12 for the PSU is... a reason to Panic, IMO.
You could change that around and I'd be happy... or go 50/50 case and PSU and I'd be OK with that.

The MB/CPU combo, RAM and HDD choices are all solid. Do you already have an optical drive you're donating to the Cause?

ColonelPanic_1889

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Good Sir,

After much deliberation, I can see your concerns are justified. To speak candidly, I am rather fond of this particular case although I would be willing to spend extra on a higher quality PSU. Which manufacturer and model would you recommend?

In terms of the optical drive, I have a stack of 7 working IDE DVD-RW's on a shelf which, although not as fast as a SATA drive, might be enough to just install Debian. What say you on this matter?

My sincerest thanks.

Colonel Sir Mackenzie Panic, IDE

aznwings

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Although IDE/PATA devices have nearly gone the way of the Dodo your BIOSTAR 880G motherboard does have the requisite IDE/PATA header to make good use of your stash of IDE optical drives.
They're wholly suitable for your purposes and will server without a problem.
As you probably know - you could even install Linux though a USB thumb drive.

A choice of case is highly personal and your reasoning for choosing a premium case is sound. And your choice happens to be an excellent one.
Thermaltake Armor A30 Case Review

Another good PSU option besides the ones aznwings suggested:
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W 80+ BRONZE Power Supply $44 & free shipping
It's actually less expensive than the 380W model and this model would support a substantial graphics card should the need arise.

The 'green' status of these PSUs is partly the fact that they ship with no AC power cord, the idea being you'd recycle one you already have.

If that's not an option the Corsair CX430 or OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular Power Supply $50 after rebate as another good option.
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W Power Supply Review

ColonelPanic_1889

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Capital idea, WR2! I just happened to be perusing my collegiate computation machine vendor and selected a preposterously small USB drive. This would be perfect for installing Debian without the need for physical media.

ColonelPanic_1889

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Thank you very much for your kind words. Would you be so kind as to help me choose between the above model and NZXT Crafted Series Vulcan Black Steel / Plastic Gaming mATX Computer Case. I am particularly fond of the handle for added portability, as I will be utilizing this configuration at my employment following my next paycheck. However, it is larger and does not feature USB 3.0 connectivity on the front I/O panel. So, knowing I will be treating the final configuration as a "laptop with better cooling and adaptability," which case would be better for a more mobile life?

It's not a terrible PSU but it's a 2007 model with low efficiency and the dual 80mm fans is going to make it nosier than any more recent PSU with a good 120mm fan. Or 135mm fan like that OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W linked above. Which is a known good PSU based on independent reviews.

I think the price difference is down to less than $5 when you include shipping charges and rebates.