Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ironic answers only please......

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 7, 2011 8:56:11 PM

Being a hardcore gamer and hardcore pc modder I am building cutting edge gaming rigs all the time. I have recently finished my latest gaming build - a 386sx running at 16Mhz - I am considering overclocking to 18Mhz but liquid nitrogen cooling doesnt come cheap. I have installed a 40mb hard drive and am awaiting arrival of a shiny new copy of Crysis to put this beast through its paces. My question is do you think the game will run with all graphics settings on high with 2mb of ram or should I consider upgrading to 4mb?
Thanks.

More about : ironic answers

August 7, 2011 9:13:56 PM

Before you do anything I suggest submerging the entire machine in salt water for optimal cooling. Be sure to unplug the thing, you will not need electricity if you follow my advice.
August 7, 2011 9:17:14 PM

1 word: potato batteries.
Related resources
August 7, 2011 9:18:36 PM

Actually I think upgrading your RAM to 4 mb may slow down your system, as the CPU will need to address larger memory space, the OS will need to use more pages in the memory, what will make calculation of displacements for memory pointers more complicated.
August 7, 2011 10:19:14 PM

pepe2907 said:
Actually I think upgrading your RAM to 4 mb may slow down your system, as the CPU will need to address larger memory space, the OS will need to use more pages in the memory, what will make calculation of displacements for memory pointers more complicated.


Ahh yes. Your right. And I wouldnt want anything to slow down Windows 3.11.

Sorry to rub it in guys but I forgot to mention I will be playing Crysis in 256 colours on my new VGA 14" CRT Monitor.....

............jealous anyone?

P.S. If anyone knows where I can buy one of them new Voodoo 3DFX cards I keep hearing so much about let me know.
August 8, 2011 12:24:20 AM

I have one in my attic. Make me an offer as the technology is so new I might get double the retail for it. let me know

mac
August 8, 2011 12:26:57 AM

I have one that may be suitable. Lost the heatsink for the voodoo card and it overheats in about 30 Secs. You will like.
August 8, 2011 7:41:37 AM

Dude your pc is way better than my i5 2500k, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, and gtx 580 and my 1080p monitor. Its like I'm playing with technology from before I was born O.o
August 8, 2011 9:24:06 AM

This rig is an overkill to run Crysis on. You should go straight for runing Crysis 2 with 3D Stereoscopic vision!
August 8, 2011 10:54:33 AM

To get the best performance possible make sure you have a minimum of 16MB of RAM. Also, make sure your copy of GeoWorks is compatible with Crysis!
August 8, 2011 12:00:34 PM

I'm not sure whether the speed of your 14.4 kbit/s dial up connection can handle Crysis 2 multiplayer. You may want to consider upgrading your modem.
August 8, 2011 12:04:07 PM

finn281175 said:
Being a hardcore gamer and hardcore pc modder I am building cutting edge gaming rigs all the time. I have recently finished my latest gaming build - a 386sx running at 16Mhz - I am considering overclocking to 18Mhz but liquid nitrogen cooling doesnt come cheap. I have installed a 40mb hard drive and am awaiting arrival of a shiny new copy of Crysis to put this beast through its paces. My question is do you think the game will run with all graphics settings on high with 2mb of ram or should I consider upgrading to 4mb?
Thanks.


Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure you need a maths co-processor to play crysis; this rules out the SX. Does your MB support an upgrade to a 386DX chip?

(I'm just waiting for the directX 11 version of pong :hello:  )
August 8, 2011 3:50:42 PM

Kef said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure you need a maths co-processor to play crysis; this rules out the SX. Does your MB support an upgrade to a 386DX chip?

(I'm just waiting for the directX 11 version of pong :hello:  )


Are you sure the 386DX has been released yet? I thought Intel were still working on that behind closed doors?.........

Directx11 Pong? I hope your running a couple of GTX590's in your system!!
August 9, 2011 12:42:06 PM

Ah, this takes me back to the heady days of Yuri Gagarin and Sputnic

sorry to take this slighly off topic, but I saw the last startfighter on telly at the weekend, and thought it was crying out for a modern remake - that led onto a moment of 80's nostalga, I went browsing the net and came across a youtube video of the original wind commander game, good god how bad were early VGA graphics (any how much better were they than their CGA/EGA predecessors??)

irony reactivated:

the 386DX launch should hopefully coincide with the release of the new 16 bit windows 3.1, which should support crysis albeit it in windowed view rather than full screen
!