Help with AMD Phenom II x4 840 CPU

AudioMi55ing

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I have recently purchased an AMD Phenom II x4 840 processor. I installed it just fine, no problems at all. However, instead of running the full 3.2 GHz it's supposed to, it only runs at 803.x MHz...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01357135

This is my computer's motherboard. I figured I needed to update the BIOS, but for some reason it isn't letting me. The BIOS version at the moment is 5.14. I have looked on HP for a BIOS upgrade but, as I said before, the BIOS cannot install and is saying that my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for it, but I checked and made sure I have them all, which I do.

As a last resort, I'll get a new motherboard, but if I don't need a new one that would be a nice save.

Thank you, and any help will be appreciated.

BIOS Properties
BIOS Type Award
BIOS Version y
Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message y
System BIOS Date 06/20/08
Video BIOS Date 10/08/09
BIOS Manufacturer
Company Name Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Here's my BIOS information if it helps at all.

loneninja

Distinguished
Following your link this is what they give for compatible processor upgrade information.

Socket type: AM2+
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt)
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology X2 up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
Athlon 64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 3800+

So AMD designed the newer processors to physically fit and work with the older boards, but HP and the rest of OEM companies rarely ever add support for newer processors even if they offer a newer BIOS version. They would much rather you buy a new computer every couple years to get the latest and greatest technology than upgrade your current system as they make no money when you upgrade.

I doubt anything you do will get it running at the correct speed on that motherboard. I would say 99% odds you need to purchase a new motherboard if you want to use that processor.

AudioMi55ing

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Okay, yeah, thanks. I don't know why I didn't look at the processor upgrade info. >.>

I just kinda figured "Oh, hey, I have an AM2+ slot, it'll work." I figured that I would need a new motherboard in the end. I just didn't want to go out and buy something else if I could do something to get it to work.

Thanks for the help.