Should I replace my QX6850?

bregier79

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Good Evening all!

This is my first time posting here, but I have a question....

I built my current PC 4 years ago - specs are below

QX6850 (lapped and water cooled, but no longer overclocked)
Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard
4GB Ram
Nvidia 8800GT OC card
1TB WD 7,200 HD
Can't remember the other components (PSU, case, etc) - away from home right now on work

I'm sick of the water cooling setup, and I just want to get ready for the upcoming games coming out (Diablo 3, SWTOR, etc). My water cooling setup just takes up too much room and is VERY loud (housed in an external case)

I normally build a new computer every 4-5 years, so I was thinking of upgrading - but it looks like the QX6850 is still a pretty darn good processor. I was thinking about purchasing an i7-2600K and upgrading everything else; more ram, better video card, SSD hard drive.

I guess my question is "Is it worth it"? I'm pretty sure that if I just pop in a new video card that I will see a world of difference. But I'm also just tempted to put up my current CPU, motherboard, RAM, and water cooling system up for sale and upgrade! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Brian

@stock that cpu has similar performance to the amd P2 955 so yours is still a midrange cpu for gaming. you could add faster ram if your motherboard will allow it. 1066 or 1333 if you cpu can handle it.
something like a 560ti would probably give the best balance as far as performance goes but you could probably get away with a 570.

if you want quieter cooling then a simple 775 cooler with a pair of yate loon fans 900-2200rpm. they will be quiet when your idle, but can be a bit noisy when going full tilt but will give exceptional air flow and cooling.

just ditch the watercooling, its not necessary especially if not overclocked. get a Coolermaster hyper212+ HSF, it will still allow you to overclock if you want, and just upgrade your video card and ram. the 2600k isnt worth the extra you pay over the 2500k for gaming, it offers no better performance, if your looking to do the whol major upgrade thing.