Q6600 and Asus P5W DH Deluxe Overclcoking

nitrosport_5

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Ive got this setup with the Q6600 and Asus p5W DH Deluxe with 2x 2GB of OCZ DDR2 800. Im starting to feel the need to build myself a new rig but at the moment i just cannot afford to do so. So i would like to get the most out of the system that i can as far as overclocking goes. Now i know this motherboard is quite powerful but i just dont know how to take advantage of it. Right now i have my Q6600 overclocked from 2.4GHz stock to 2.88GHz via the 20% overclock feature in the BIOS. Ive got a Zalman heatsink for the CPU(its large and copper with many thin copper heatsinks) that keeps my system at 26*C idle and never usually above 40 - 45 while doing anything CPU intensive.

Im looking for any help regarding getting this CPU to at least 3.0GHz. I know this CPU can easily take it but every time i attempt to get there the system is never stable so i resort back to my 20% overclock.

In the BIOS, select Advanced, Jumper Free Configuration. Set AI Overclocking to [Manual]. Then increase the CPU Frequency (I run an E6420 at 375 MHz which is safe and stable). Don't expect to easily exceed 400 MHz. Set the DRAM Frequency to keep it within specs (I set mine at DD2-750MHz), set PCI Express to 100 and PCI Clock to 33.33. Leave all other settings to Auto. If you need more performance, you can tweak the settings, but run Prime95 torture test for several hours while monitoring CPU temperatures to make sure that the system is stable.

You probably have your memory settings on Auto. That is a very common mistake.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide
It is bases on an Asus board.

Go through the guide. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) so that at stock freqs, your memory clock is twice your FSB freq. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Do not exceed 1.50 volt core voltage and keep your load temps under 70 C.

You should very easily reach 3.33 GHz (367 MHz FSB freq and 733 MHz memory clock.

nitrosport_5

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
After reading a little bit i decided to try my hand at overclocking my CPU. I cannot get it to go over the 2.88 GHz and be stable for the life of me. @ 3.0GHz, it will get almost completely booted and then crash and reboot. My settings are

CPU Freq 333
DRAM freq 667
Pci Express 100
pci clock 33.33
mem voltage auto
cpu vcore (had this auto, so i raised it to max of 1.5 and it still crashes)
and every thing else is on auto. I have heard of people having issues with this board and overclocking but i am not sure if it is the board or my CPU.

nitrosport_5

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Yes it is a G0 stepping proc. Isnt that the processor of choice when it comes to a Q6600? Im using a Zalman CNPS9700 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019 with Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste.

I have been slowly working my way up from 2.88 and am current running at 2.93 GHz. Been running prime95 for about 2 hours now and so far it seems to be going good at 2.93. Temps looks great too. each core is between 45-52 degrees Celsius when running prime.